Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 3 left in the leadership race, it will be interesting to see if Gove holds his nerve and stays in. If he does, it's likely to be him vs May as some of May's supporters can artificially prop him up to get rid of Leadsom. She's got so much spare support that she pretty much has her pick of opponent.

I thought Leadsom would be more hurt by the revelation that she knew Brexit would be a financial disaster, that seems to have been ignored. She seems to be warmer/more personable than May, maybe that's the bigger factor

Enjoyed this: http://news.sky.com/story/1721982/watch-ken-clarke-ridicules-tory-candidates

If Hillary gets elected ( fingers crossed ) it will certainly be a women's world.

That would actually be some consolation - we've moved a step forward on gender equality. Shame about the two steps back on the prejudice that must not be named

I thought Leadsom would be more hurt by the revelation that she knew Brexit would be a financial disaster, that seems to have been ignored. She seems to be warmer/more personable than May, maybe that's the bigger factor

Enjoyed this: http://news.sky.com/story/1721982/watch-ken-clarke-ridicules-tory-candidates

In 2012 Andrea Leadsom said 'we have to focus on deregulation.” She continued: “No minimum wage; no unfair dismissal; no maternity or paternity rights; no national insurance or employer pension contributions; a flat rate of tax; no red tape.”' She also believes that every website should have its content "rated" before being accessible online. Doesn't sound great for business.

Theresa May doesn't seem to care about civil liberties but that's true of both of the main parties now. She seems like the slightly saner choice of the two perhaps. She at least has experience and so whatever happened she wouldn't be winging it as such.

The idea of an Angela Leadsom-led government negotiating trade deals scares the heebeejeebees out of me and is only a little less worse than Gove creatively destroying the country. The porblem I have is that Ms Leadsom's warm, gentle style seems to be in stark contrast to her position on rights and protections. Someone described her well earlier - the PM candidate for the banks and for Aaron Banks.

If it's a choice, I'll take the icy cyborg in kitten heels any day.

A lot of western press, a. exaggerate, b. make stuff up. They're also making Russia out to be an aggressor while the US and NATO have been building up forces around their borders.
The only info that I've come across about him being homophobic have been from western mainstream media. I may be wrong about that but as yet that's the only source I've seen on it.
While I agree with you about the US and NATO (and EU) moving eastward and benefiting from anti-Putin propaganda, there is nevertheless some very ugly homophobia being stoked in Russia right now with the government's recent law banning "homosexual propaganda" - something that has unleashed some deeply disturbing sentiment about gays needing to be gassed and burned alive. I think for Russians, rejecting gay rights is a proxy for rejecting Western values and therefore the West (the EU and the US) as a whole. Essentially it's a tactic for drumming up nationalism. It's for a similar reason that homophobia flourishes in places like Uganda as well as across the Middle East though obviously not the sole reason in those places. So yes, our side have been going to great lengths to portray Putin as the bogeyman, but that doesn't mean there isn't legitimacy in some of the complaints made about him.

Pound sterling is in a miserable state, it has gone further down from $1.32$ to 1.28, remember it broke its all time low record in last 30 years after Brexit, now it is even more miserable , really really frustrated with Brexit and all the mess that follows it.

Plus more than half of all real estate funds have now had withdrawals frozen. Business very very far from usual, and getting worse fast...

Pound sterling is in a miserable state, it has gone further down from $1.32$ to 1.28, remember it broke its all time low record in last 30 years after Brexit, now it is even more miserable , really really frustrated with Brexit and all the mess that follows it.

Perspective....
One mans pain is another mans pleasure.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...een-to-exploit-weak-pound-to-buy-london-homes

And the FTSE100 is at an 11 month high.

What will dollar purchasers see as undervalued.

So not all doom and gloom.

Just got an interesting spam suggesting we'll be OK by Christmas :)

The British Pound Just Collapsed and YOU can take advantage
The Pound Sterling - one of the most dependable currencies in the world, all but collapsed last week after the UK voted to leave Europe.

And that patriotic belligerence has opened up some real opportunities in making a few quick bucks from Foreign Exchange.

This isn't complex - it's High School Maths that even I can understand. . .

A few weeks ago $100 would buy you just £68. Today $100 will buy you £74. You might say "Huh, but that's only £6 more". But scale it up and do the math.

And the returns are going to be quick too. The British Pound is not going to collapse and vanish, experts say it will bounce back will probably even increase in value by Christmas. So It's a pretty safe bet.

This thread is falling prey to the same "post truth" trap that the campaign did. If you look hard enough you will find a contrary opinion about anything - but take a few minutes to read the Business blogs on real news sites and it's clear that brexit is turning out to be overwhelmingly negative.

This thread is falling prey to the same "post truth" trap that the campaign did. If you look hard enough you will find a contrary opinion about anything - but take a few minutes to read the Business blogs on real news sites and it's clear that brexit is turning out to be overwhelmingly negative.
Of course it's negative, we expect a shallow recession but not a 2008 situation or the financial Armageddon that was predicted ( at least no obvious fundamental signs of that yet).
Bovis gave out a statement this morning saying the fundamentals are strong.
BOE says Situation is well within the banking stress test carried out in 2014
Banks have more capital than they need for the current situation.
The UK stock market drops seem only to be throwing up buy opportunities. The low pound is for some a blessing.
I am not going to say anything else that might vex you, I don't think that's productive.

So the rich get richer and more of our country gets sold off at bargain prices because of weak exchange rates at the expense of 90 per cent of the population. I'm jumping for joy at that outcome.
Yes, not a lot we can do about that. But at least we are not selling our sovereignty and after all property ownership does not mean, not subject to our taxation rules.
I do think, ignoring the rights and wrongs of leaving,there are signs that we can escape the EU with a soft landing ( fingers crossed ).

Isn't that just from one perspective though and just a different truth trap? Your perspective would appear to be business and money, others want a change, others want to control borders, others just voted out as a protest and I'm sure there are many other equally valid reasons (ignoring the blatant racist minority taking all the headlines) .

I don't have a large pension pot or investments, therefore the state of the City has little practical interest to me (although it's my taxes that are used to bail them out!), we grow a lot of our own food and want a little bit of land and to live quietly off it once the kids have finished at school. If my house falls in value before then, the property we'll buy will also fall in value so it will more or less balance out, the future from my perspective is therefore different from yours.

but take a few minutes to read the Business blogs on real news sites and it's clear that brexit is turning out to be overwhelmingly negative.

That's part of the problem - the mainstream media is controlled by wealthy people who promote a pro-EU pro-globalist agenda.

Try reading some different publications as well for different perspective - e.g.:
http://www.breitbart.com/london/

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom