Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny....I've asked 3 times if any remainers can explain why they want to live under a totalitarian state, and no one answered. Mention Russia and suddenly the comments start coming.

You edited your post to add the above after I last quoted you, so I'll reply to the addition also.

If you think the UK, within the EU, is a totalitarian state you are way beyond rational discussion.

Note Russia isn't a totalitarian state either!

I've always thought that for the majority of people, their biggest asset by far is probably their home.

Why on earth would investing in a property fund make sense when your wealth is already so biased towards property?

Diversify a bit, it's safer :)

Pension funds.

Crap. The EIU Democracy index last published the UK as number 16 out of 167 countries ranked in order of democracy. The US on their index only just made it as a "full democracy". Russia was ranked number 132, as authoritarian, in between the Ivory Coast and Egypt. If you admire the Russian democracy over the EU's, feel free to move there.
You edited your post to add the above after I last quoted you, so I'll reply to the addition also.

If you think the UK, within the EU, is a totalitarian state you are way beyond rational discussion.

I didn't mention the UK...you did.

I said the EU is a totalitarian state - here is the definition;

Totalitarianism is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.

Now if you can't see that that is what the EU is....you're blind.

If we remain in the EU, the UK along with all the other members will be drawn further into it. If you, or your children, don't agree with what the EU does, how do you go about changing it? Answer: you can't.

Now if you can't see that that is what the EU is....you're blind.

Rather than continue this thread where you avoid rational argument, let's see if you will answer a direct question.

Who, in your opinion, has the better democracy? The UK within the EU, or Russia.

Rather than continue this thread where you avoid rational argument, let's see if you will answer a direct question.

Who, in your opinion, has the better democracy? The UK within the EU, or Russia.

I'll answer yours - currently the UK despite it's being a part of the EU. But the way the EU is progressing, I expect it to swallow up the UK and the other members, and then there won't be any democracy in the EU.

Now I've indulged you, why don't you answer the question I keep asking? Why do remainers want to be ruled by a totalitarian state?

I'll answer yours - currently the UK despite it's being a part of the EU. But the way the EU is progressing, I expect it to swallow up the UK and the other members, and then there won't be any democracy in the EU.

Yet you openly admire the leader of Russia, who by your own admission runs a country with less democracy than your supposed totalitarian state?

Now I've indulged you, why don't you answer the question I keep asking? Why do remainers want to be ruled by a totalitarian state?

I can't answer a question which asks me which is heavier, the colour green or apples?

The EU, and the UK within it, is not a totalitarian state by any rational measure. Even Russia, which again by your admission has poorer democracy than us, is not a totalitarian state.

Yet you openly admire the leader of Russia, who by your own admission runs a country with less democracy than your supposed totalitarian state?

I can't answer a question which asks me which is heavier, the colour green or apples?

The EU, and the UK within it, is not a totalitarian state by any rational measure. Even Russia, which again by your admission has poorer democracy than us, is not a totalitarian state.

You keep bringing the UK into it...I'm asking you about the EU. I've posted the definition of totalitarianism to make it easy for you...if you don't believe the EU is a totalitarian state it should be easy-peasy to say why surely?

Standard Life has blocked investors from withdrawing funds from their real estate fund... First such action since the 2008-2009 crisis.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...e-shuts-property-fund-post-brexit-withdrawals

There is a suggestion that other similar funds will follow their lead, so if you're invested in that kind of asset you may want to cash out pronto before you're prevented from doing so.

It's this kind of panic that's caused them to temporarily suspend withdrawals. The funds are asset backed and have limited liquidity. So they are therefore suspended so that fastest first don't get preferential treatment. This has happened at regular intervals throughout the years and would not be a huge surprise given the circumstances.

I've always thought that for the majority of people, their biggest asset by far is probably their home.

Why on earth would investing in a property fund make sense when your wealth is already so biased towards property?

Diversify a bit, it's safer :)

Certainly agree but the majority of people don't make their own investment decisions (beyond agreeing to pay someone 1% to lose their money :)

Perspective.

On Wednesday morning, the Bank of England governor, Mark Carney, had used his twice-yearly assessment of risks to the financial system to warn that “adjustments in commercial real estate could tighten credit conditions for UK business”.

Flows of foreign investment into commercial property had fallen 50% in the first quarter of the year, he said.

You do realise the EU is not a democracy?

It's funny....I've asked 3 times if any remainers can explain why they want to live under a totalitarian state, and no one answered. Mention Russia and suddenly the comments start coming.

That's because it's a silly question. It's impossible for anyone to give a reasonable 'straight answer' to.
For example - have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or no?

It's this kind of panic that's caused them to temporarily suspend withdrawals. The funds are asset backed and have limited liquidity. So they are therefore suspended so that fastest first don't get preferential treatment. This has happened at regular intervals throughout the years and would not be a huge surprise given the circumstances.

Investors are panicking because the valuations of these assets are beginning to look shaky. You're right, it's not a surprise.
That doesn't mean it's not a big deal.

The amount of companies and individuals looking into options to move abroad is quite worrying. Economies are based on confidence and right now there isn't a lot of that to go around. Hopefully that will change. If things keep getting worse over the coming months, it will take presidence over all else for the elected parties.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever encountered such levels of cognitive dissonance, the level of mental gymnastics that some people do to protect their beliefs is really incredible. I know that's true on both sides, I know I have biases and I know I'm justifying my own feelings to some degree. I really hope my logic/rationale is not as bad as some of the stuff in these threads

I don't think I've ever encountered such levels of cognitive dissonance, the level of mental gymnastics that some people do to protect their beliefs is really incredible. I know that's true on both sides, I know I have biases and I know I'm justifying my own feelings to some degree. I really hope my logic/rationale is not as bad as some of the stuff in these threads

I hope things work out somehow. I'm sure there is no more clarity amongst politcians either. In part because there are so many aspects to this. With so many countries needing to agree on a deal when we leave, I really have no idea how we even begin. It's obvious that we can't have our cake and eat it, and so Theresa May (or whoever) will have to decide whether to just join EEA with all that entails (freedom of movement) or try to get a deal approved where we make consessions (likely damaging economically) in order to gain a yearly migration cap.

My feeling is that the economy will tank further and she will end up dropping curbs on freedom of movement in the short term and just join the EEA stating that we will attempt to address these other areas when there is more stability. A bit of a fudge that will please no-one, not those wishing to remain, who will see that we'll have to follow many of the same EU rules but with no say/veto from now on, and not leavers many of whom want serious reductions in numbers.

That's because it's a silly question. It's impossible for anyone to give a reasonable 'straight answer' to.
For example - have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or no?

That's also an easy question to answer;
1. Yes
2. No
3. I never have beaten my wife

Your turn.

It is that's why you get so annoyed.

I hope things work out somehow. I'm sure there is no more clarity amongst politcians either. In part because there are so many aspects to this. With so many countries needing to agree on a deal when we leave, I really have no idea how we even begin. It's obvious that we can't have our cake and eat it, and so Theresa May (or whoever) will have to decide whether to just join EEA with all that entails (freedom of movement) or try to get a deal approved where we make consessions (likely damaging economically) in order to gain a yearly migration cap.

My feeling is that the economy will tank further and she will end up dropping curbs on freedom of movement in the short term and just join the EEA stating that we will attempt to address these other areas when there is more stability. A bit of a fudge that will please no-one, not those wishing to remain, who will see that we'll have to follow many of the same EU rules but with no say/veto from now on, and not leavers many of whom want serious reductions in numbers.
I really do think you are being over pessimistic. I expect you to say well if your optimistic what will happen. Carney said today the
Situation is well within the banking stress test carried out in 2014
Banks have more capital than they need.
Lots of capital a lot of liquidity, so well capitalised.
I hate to sound patronising but there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom