Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of bits from today's papers' headlines:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-36544814
  • "Make all drug use legal, experts say" (another stupid headline which encourages distrust in experts?)
  • "May calls for extra curbs on migrants" (straight from the horse's mouth - no offence maam, though she seems to believe we can remain and win further concessions on immigration. Good luck with that)

.[
What is the one EU policy you'd most like to see changed?
- Free movement of people
- Power of the ECJ over national courts
- Relative non-accountability of the European Commission
- European Convention on Human Rights
- The EU contribution system and the EU levy
- Something else?

If you had free rein to modify or abolish the thing you chose above, would that tip your view of the EU?

Little bit like making a list of all the things a prisoner has to do. H/she can only pick one thing and would that make him want to stay.

Incidentally lack of liberty is not on his list.

Last edited:
Anyone ever watch The Good Wife?

So many of these headlines and expert statements would be better if prefixed with "in my opinion."

• "Make all drug use legal, experts say" (another stupid headline which encourages distrust in experts?)
  • "May calls for extra curbs on migrants" (straight from the horse's mouth - no offence maam, though she seems to believe we can remain and win further concessions on immigration. Good luck with that)
You are not allowed to say from the horses mouth , It's racist it dehumanises her.
I think others not to use.
Hopped it
buzz off
at it like rabbits
cheeky monkey
trotted off
like a bull in a china shop. ( especially if the person is Chinese )

Wouldn't want to upset the pedantic.

Last edited:
Noticing Gordon Brown in his remain speech can't resist making a labour party political broadcast. Can't help knocking the tories at every opportunity.
I wonder if he mentions that he works as an advisor
to Pimco, one of the worlds largest asset management companies( Assets under management 1.5 Trillion US Dollars ) and sits on the board with the former Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and the former president of the European Central Bank, Jean-Claude Trichet.
Wonder if that company is pro remain.

Ask, why are prices are so low? Because of cheap imports from Europe....nothing we can do about that at the moment. Hopefully that'll change soon.

Food prices are low because of us, the consumers. The supermarkets control over 80% of food retail - they are having constant price wars because the consumer (us) seem to want to pay as little as possible for food.
It is the supermarkets that cause the import of food because the UK does not have the land and weather to produce all the food needed at the pricing we want to pay; Governments haven't wanted to intervene because of the backlash they would get if food prices went up.

Leaving the EU will not make food prices lower, perhaps the opposite if tariffs are imposed.

... and here's a thought ...

We cannot produce enough food to feed ourselves ...
The UK I believe is the second most obese country in the world ...
If we all eat less and start eating healthier paying a fair price for food:
1. No need for imports, better for UK farmers.
2. Better for the NHS.

Simplistic, but hey, it would work!

Noticing Gordon Brown in his remain speech can't resist making a labour party political broadcast. Can't help knocking the tories at every opportunity.
to Pimco, one of the worlds largest asset management companies( Assets under management 1.5 Trillion US Dollars ) and sits on the board with the former Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and the former president of the European Central Bank, Jean-Claude Trichet.

You have repeat this statement about 4 times now, whats the point?

You said you are a fan of Cameron, before he came back with a daft deal from the EU but you carry on about the poor, the disabled, how the rich are getting richer under the austerity measures.

What do you expect from a Tory government? a lot of your complaint here about poor, disabled, cuts, austerity, no matter how you put it, its mainly Tory policies that Cameron the same guy you use to be a fan off leads.

You have to accept the cut and the only people that suffer in austerity policies are the poor, we knew they will continue with the cuts if they win in 2015 or did you only support him because he will give us referendum and the cuts to the poor is a worthwhile pain to accept.

Almost all ex-politician get all this silly post after office, take your pick, this does not make Gordon Brown or any of the ex politician now earning big money a bad person or less faithful to the country than you do. At least they have put themselves up to serve the country and its people in some form while you are here mourning about there life after politics.

You have repeat this statement about 4 times now, whats the point?

You said you are a fan of Cameron, before he came back with a daft deal from the EU but you carry on about the poor, the disabled, how the rich are getting richer under the austerity measures.

What do you expect from a Tory government? a lot of your complaint here about poor, disabled, cuts, austerity, no matter how you put it, its mainly Tory policies that Cameron the same guy you use to be a fan off leads.

You have to accept the cut and the only people that suffer in austerity policies are the poor, we knew they will continue with the cuts if they win in 2015 or did you only support him because he will give us referendum and the cuts to the poor is a worthwhile pain to accept.

Almost all ex-politician get all this silly post after office, take your pick, this does not make Gordon Brown or any of the ex politician now earning big money a bad person or less faithful to the country than you do. At least they have put themselves up to serve the country and its people in some form while you are here mourning about there life after politics.

But all I'm saying is , I wonder if there is a bigger conflict of interest in his message, does he tell people that he sits on the board of one of the biggest private equity firms in the world and who else is on that board. You may or may not think he should . I do think that he should wear a badge to that affect, people view him as an ex prime minister, all be it one that ruined the economy, ( inside the EU ) and that can give a false sense of security in his message.

Just a reminder this is not a general election , it's the most important referendum in our history.
I hope I've addressed your post.

But all I'm saying is , I wonder if there is a bigger conflict of interest in his message, does he tell people that he sits on the board of one of the biggest private equity firms in the world and who else is on that board. You may or may not think he should . I do think that he should wear a badge to that affect, people view him as an ex prime minister, all be it one that ruined the economy, ( inside the EU ) and that can give a false sense of security in his message.

Just a reminder this is not a general election , it's the most important referendum in our history.
I hope I've addressed your post.

Why post it every time you have a chance, you have posted few links about few people few times, whats the point?

You are the one that need to stop making it a general election issue and that's what I am trying to remind you here, its not about Labour/Tory/ex-ministers/ex-company chairmen/women. There is only two sides, IN or OUT.

I am tired of people like you making statements about Gordon Brown/labour ruined the economy, they borrow too much, no need to have that discussion here.

Make your case for the Leave campaign and stop bringing in government policies that has nothing to do with EU IN or OUT campaign.

Not really fair to say it's a stupid headline. Those who are interested in harm reduction and crime reduction have some very strong points about legalization and it is happening in several countries - several US states have legalized recreational cannabis - Portugal has achieved great things by treating addiction as a health issue rather than a crime.

You want extra curbs on migrants - so why do you think May's speech is bad? If we do remain then the people have clearly signalled already how important this is, and they are doing the same in several other EU states. EU law is not immovable, and we have a fair bit of influence when it changes.

Last edited:
You are not allowed to say from the horses mouth , It's racist it dehumanises her.
I think others not to use.
Hopped it
buzz off
at it like rabbits
cheeky monkey
trotted off
like a bull in a china shop. ( especially if the person is Chinese )

Wouldn't want to upset the pedantic.

Really?

Do you really not see the difference between these words and describing immigrants as a horde/swarm?

I don't think you're really that unintelligent.

Just in case, let me give you an example - if I describe you as a silly old goat, that's one thing. If I describe you and your kind as scuttling cockroaches infesting the kitchen of humanity, that's another. Do you see the subtle difference?

If not you'd better learn it before you get to the care home because the staff there are going to be immigrants.

It's hardly surprising that an ex-PM has a good job in a big company and has powerful contacts. It's not exactly world news that Gordon Brown is not a fan of the Tories.

Last edited:
... and here's a thought ...

We cannot produce enough food to feed ourselves ...
The UK I believe is the second most obese country in the world ...
If we all eat less and start eating healthier paying a fair price for food:
1. No need for imports, better for UK farmers.
2. Better for the NHS.

Simplistic, but hey, it would work!

Not a bad idea. We were never healthier than under rationing, and if we go back to spending a third of our income on food we'll probably appreciate it more

Also if we reduce the number of immigrants we could give more British people good honest back-breaking work in the fields for agricultural minimum wage, that will keep people fit.

Agree Edwin. Some crazy speculation on Twitter at the moment re. the shooting and the referendum. Probably best to wait for the facts to emerge before repeating any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom