Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will affect me, my immediate family and many of my friends, in many ways, on a business and personal level.

It should be obvious from what I've posted that I believe the experts. Anyone who does should be worried.

Really sorry, but I'm not going to go into specifics beyond that. Please don't try pushing it, because I won't. Thanks.
No problem. But if you know it is going to affect you so quickly that would mean you new you had a vested business interest in staying in before the vote. So your views have been anything but impartial. Although granted you never said they were.
So basically that would mean your argument was for a trade off of all the things that the majority of people held dear, against what you personally new you would forfeit if we came out.

But it is not just the Mayor:

"France's economy minister Emmanuel Macron earlier sparked a row when he told the Financial Times his country could end UK border controls in Calais."

However, those remarks have now been contradicted by the French government.

Speaking after the referendum result, French government spokesman Stephane Le Foll said bilateral immigration treaties between Britain and France will not be affected by the Brexit.

"On the question of immigration, to be clear, British exit from the European Union will not lead to changes in terms of immigration treaties with United Kingdom... These are bilateral treaties," he said.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717209/calais-tells-britain-take-back-your-border

"High voter turnout is a myth when you consider that 10% of Australians are not even registered. When that myth is debunked, I think you'll see a dramatic shift in public perception of compulsory voting," he said.

That number only reflects registered voters who turned out, and although required by law, in recent years voter registration has seen a slight decline, especially among younger Australians.

Still think that something has to be done when some elections get less than 40% turnout ...

"But while the French government said there would be no change, there were signs that politicians on the right wanted to use the Brexit result to push for a renewed debate on the deal that has left thousands of migrants and refugees stuck at Calais in insalubrious and dangerous conditions in shanty camps."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/25/french-border-deal-wont-be-affected-by-brexit-paris

Again we don't know. With French elections looming and the far right gaining ground, if they won with their attitude to the UK the border staying in France would be open to doubt.

Yes but the mayor of London says London should split from the UK.
The mayor of Calais is just that, the mayor of Calais.

I agree, i was quoting VSC showing the french gov saying nowt will change.

No problem. But if you know it is going to affect you so quickly that would mean you new you had a vested business interest in staying in before the vote. So your views have been anything but impartial. Although granted you never said they were.
So basically that would mean your argument was for a trade off of all the things that the majority of people held dear, against what you personally new you would forfeit if we came out.

I appreciate this is difficult for you to fathom but quite a lot of people are more concerned with the direction their country is heading in over their personal economic considerations. It is actually possible to put aside immediate financial concerns and be reasonably objective. For example, most scientists are more concerned with science than they are with getting rich. Most professors are more concerned with education than they are with getting rich.

I was well hedged and did well out of Brexit, at least in GBP - though those pounds are now worth a lot less. I'd quite happily give it back in an instant to remain.

I am. And I'm talking about their trade protection and their labour reform demos. 1 million people took to the streets the last couple of weeks.

I admire the French for how they stand up and be counted for their beliefs and their rights.

Yesterday through the course of my work I spoke to people in The Netherlands, France, Spain and an Italian living in France. To a person they all want a referendum....they wouldn't say that if they want to remain.

Given that you support far right parties and espouse far right ideology while quoting far right extremist conspiracy theories, you should probably stop identifying as centre-left.

I've had a brilliant idea for cutting the NHS budget in half. Those who have had enough of experts can be de-registered and treat themselves at home using common sense and old copies of the Daily Mail.

Sorry, don't even know how to begin answering that. Please see bonusmedia's post.

I appreciate this is difficult for you to fathom but quite a lot of people are more concerned with the direction their country is heading in over their personal economic considerations. It is actually possible to put aside immediate financial concerns and be reasonably objective. For example, most scientists are more concerned with science than they are with getting rich. Most professors are more concerned with education than they are with getting rich.

I was well hedged and did well out of Brexit, at least in GBP - though those pounds are now worth a lot less. I'd quite happily give it back in an instant to remain.
The first bit is evident by the fact that so many voted leave.
Not so evident that it was mostly the rich that voted to remain.
Which bit of that can you not fathom.
I think before the science and the academics comes funding not getting rich.
where that funding comes from will naturally direct the politics.

I've had a brilliant idea for cutting the NHS budget in half. Those who have had enough of experts can be de-registered and treat themselves at home using common sense and old copies of the Daily Mail.
Why stop there? We can free up school places too by encouraging them to learn trigonometry at home using nothing more than patriotism and "having faith in the British public".

Oh this is going to be Take Back Control at its finest.

Now come on, that's a bit below the belt, you know I read the Daily Mail.

Why stop there? We can free up school places too by encouraging them to learn trigonometry at home using nothing more than patriotism and "having faith in the British public".

It might be worth a try.

it was mostly the rich that voted to remain.
Correction. The rich may have mostly voted remain, but that isn't the same as saying it was mostly the rich that voted remain. This is a subtle but crucial distinction to recognise.

As an analogy, not all people voting Leave were dumbass racists - but most of the dumbass racists would have voted Leave.

We can do away with judges and lawyers and just lynch people who seem a bit shifty, like the good old days

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom