Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a language thing, but 'Demands to keep EU funding' is incorrect.

Yes, you're right ... he said insisted:
“We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the EU programme ..."

Will have to join the queue ...

"The anger in the air is palpable. The ordinary people hold the political class in contempt.

The government is failing, as war and economic catastrophe are dealt with in increasingly unconvincing fashion by second-rate public servants.

There is, for the first time in a generation, a sense of revolution brewing.

This is not today's Britain. It is England in 1381, the year that witnessed one of the greatest popular risings in our history: the Peasants' Revolt
."

"There are three things of such a sort that they produce merciless destruction when they get the upper hand;

One is a flood of water, another is a raging fire and the third is the lesser people, the common multitude; for they will not be stopped by either reason or by discipline."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8061000/8061725.stm

Where does it say they won't get it??????

You are quite correct - we do not know whether they will or will not.
The fact is the UK had been allocated $5.3 billion of regeneration funding to the end of 2020.
That will continue till the UK leaves. say in 2018.
The challenge after that is will the economy be in state to support to continue the funding.
We do not know.
It is too early to say one way or or another - based on the very very short term market reaction so far the answer would have to be no.
BUT we simply do not know whether all the monies paid out to all the UK bodies by the EU could be continued post exit.

I keep reading about the EU funding things in the UK, dumb question, but where do they get the money from?

I know member states have to pay a fee and reading here on fullfact.org it says

In 2015 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.5 billion.

So was it not a case of the EU giving institutions here money, kind of like bribes, to say "heyy you can't leave, look how much we do for you!" when they're just giving us back our own money to begin with?

If they aren't just giving us back our own money, where are they getting the money from? whose money is it; does the EU generate major income not from EU member states

Rather than saying 'well that was, what was' some feel they need to blow things up (not literally, I hope) and keep banging on with this being wrong, that being wrong, rather than shutting up.

again - it is a democracy ... people are allowed to voice their opinions and concerns, and where they perceive a falsehood comment on it.

On the topic of Calais, France's interior minister said

"Because if we open the border tomorrow, what will happen? The British control their own borders and can block the arrival of migrants into Britain. They would then be sent back to France ... which would worsen the humanitarian crisis,"

People are more likely to click on and share "scary" articles

For those who think that the age of voting should be lowered to 16.

When I was a boy of 17, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in three years.

— Mark Twain or somebody else.

On the topic of Calais, France's interior minister said

People are more likely to click on and share "scary" articles

But the Mayor of Calais disagrees:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36626553

I hope humanitarianism wins - but if it didn't France could refuse to accept back peoples that the UK refused to let in ... a worst case scenario which I hope never happens - leaving people stuck on ferries in UK waters.

Well the Mayor of Calais has to say that because I'm sure that's the popular hope of the people in Calais

She says herself

Ms Bouchart said: "We are in a strong position to push, to press this request for a review and we are asking the President (Francois Hollande) to bring his weight (to the issue).

"we are asking" because she no power to do anything, but again, she can pander to the people of Calais

... and just to prove that I DO have an open mind, this might be good for the ship building industry.
We may need more ships to patrol UK waters to protect against EU fishing boats ...

Just a thought.

She says herself

"we are asking" because she no power to do anything, but again, she can pander to the people of Calais

depends what part you wish to quote ... she also said "We are in a strong position to push, to press this request" ... that would seem more than simply asking.

As it has always been throughout the campaign, it is all down to which experts you wish to believe in, what statistics you wish to choose from, and what part of a quote to rehash.

I am simply taking a valid and informed point of view that it is possible for the UK border in France to be closed. Again we don't know, but it IS possible and would have dire consequences for both the UK and the people caught up in it.

Edwin, do you not believe in democracy?

I believe that a larger number of people have won the worse choice of two possible outcomes.

Those two things are independent: democracy gave us the winning scenario, but the majority choosing it did nothing to make it a better choice.

In other words, people had the right to choose. They chose. We know who won. That part was democracy.

Two choices were on offer, a good one and a bad one. That part had nothing to do with democracy.

As it has always been throughout the campaign, it is all down to which experts you wish to believe in, what statistics you wish to choose from, and what part of a quote to rehash

It's just makes sense in this case though because If you're the mayor of Calais I'm sure the #1 thing you're elected on is saying you will do something about the immigrant crises

So of course when something like this happens you have to say "I'm going to be doing something!" whether you have the power to act or not

article-3659190-35A448E800000578-741_636x577.jpg

More "fruitcakes" on the right hand side than the left. :D
A quick one I knocked up.

DjKaf6r.jpg

Oh dear, it's positively wall-to-wall fruit on the left. :D

Two choices were on offer, a good one and a bad one. That part had nothing to do with democracy.
Not bitter at all, are you?

I believe that a larger number of people have won the worse choice of two possible outcomes.

Those two things are independent: democracy gave us the winning scenario, but the majority choosing it did nothing to make it a better choice.

In other words, people had the right to choose. They chose. We know who won. That part was democracy.

Oh I wasn't really asking about the vote itself

My reason for asking is some EU laws trump UK law, in the UK.. how is that acceptable? doesn't that totally go against democracy

My reason for asking is some EU laws trump UK law, in the UK.. how is that acceptable? doesn't that totally go against democracy

Not when the UK government agreed to the system which it did.
The issue about the electorate not being involved in the decision is a different thing altogether.
Legally speaking the UK has always kept it's own sovereignty precisely because of Article 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom