Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, it's positively wall-to-wall fruit on the left. :D

DjKaf6r.jpg

and sour grapes on the right? :D

Oh I wasn't really asking about the vote itself

My reason for asking is some EU laws trump UK law, in the UK.. how is that acceptable? doesn't that totally go against democracy

No. It's much more nuanced than that, but the headline-friendly "unelected elites" has tended to hide the subtleties.

It is a minor concession, a small loss of some slivver of democracy, in exchange for all sorts of other benefits.

Anyway, that's one thing I'm not going to bother to argue on past this post. It's moot anyway, because it's the rules of a club we're no longer going to be part of.

Had a chat today with a friend who voted leave.
Pleasant and open chat.
I asked him why he voted leave.
His reply was that he honestly didn't know which way to vote but as his family were voting leave, he thought he would as well.

This will have happened on both sides.

Perhaps we really need to focus on political education more.

In ancient Greece people who did not vote were regarded as ill. In Australia ( a popular model ), you are fined for not voting in elections.

Perhaps that is something else we could adopt ... a £100 fine if you do not vote, along with vastly improved laws on political campaigning and education.

President Barack Obama stands by his comment that Britain will move to the back of the queue when it comes to trade deals with the United States after Brexit, the White House said on Friday.

So how many in this queue then??

In ancient Greece people who did not vote were regarded as ill. In Australia ( a popular model ), you are fined for not voting in elections. Perhaps that is something else we could adopt ... a £100 fine if you do not vote, along with vastly improved laws on political campaigning and education.

"High voter turnout is a myth when you consider that 10% of Australians are not even registered. When that myth is debunked, I think you'll see a dramatic shift in public perception of compulsory voting," he said.

That number only reflects registered voters who turned out, and although required by law, in recent years voter registration has seen a slight decline, especially among younger Australians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23810381

Had a chat today with a friend who voted leave.
Pleasant and open chat.
I asked him why he voted leave.
His reply was that he honestly didn't know which way to vote but as his family were voting leave, he thought he would as well.

This will have happened on both sides.

Perhaps we really need to focus on political education more.

In ancient Greece people who did not vote were regarded as ill. In Australia ( a popular model ), you are fined for not voting in elections.

Perhaps that is something else we could adopt ... a £100 fine if you do not vote, along with vastly improved laws on political campaigning and education.
If it happens on both sides then maybe it just cancels itself out.
Which bit of politics should the education focus on and who should teach it. God help us if it's the expert professors in the universities who get more funding from the left than the right or vice versa.

And lets not forget in November USA go to the polls to elect a new president.

Trump has already been quoted as saying we'll be at the front of the queue for trade agreement. Although if he gets in dollar price may hamper any exports.

And lets not forget in November USA go to the polls to elect a new president.

Trump has already been quoted as saying we'll be at the front of the queue for trade agreement. Although if he gets in dollar price may hamper any exports.
I would not want to sacrifice my principles to support Trump. Lets hope Clinton wins.

Why are you genuinely worried and depressed , how will this affect you personally.

It will affect me, my immediate family and many of my friends, in many ways, on a business and personal level.

It should be obvious from what I've posted that I believe the experts. Anyone who does should be worried.

Really sorry, but I'm not going to go into specifics beyond that. Please don't try pushing it, because I won't. Thanks.

It's just makes sense in this case though because If you're the mayor of Calais I'm sure the #1 thing you're elected on is saying you will do something about the immigrant crises

So of course when something like this happens you have to say "I'm going to be doing something!" whether you have the power to act or not

But it is not just the Mayor:

"France's economy minister Emmanuel Macron earlier sparked a row when he told the Financial Times his country could end UK border controls in Calais."

I thought Article 50 was a fairly recent addition to the Constitution?

Yes, you are right, 2007 I believe (apologies). Prior to that though the UK could legally have left "subject to the situation has changed so drastically, that the obligations of a signatory have been radically transformed.", which even as a remain voter I agree would have been the case.

Nevertheless, since 2007 it is not legally the case that the UK had lost it's sovereignty ... the fact that we are leaving has proven that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom