Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: With the markets falling all over Europe does this in a bizarre way balance the drop in the pound? Also would the falls in European markets force the EU to promise favourable deals for the UK to try to stabilise Europe as a whole?

Question: With the markets falling all over Europe does this in a bizarre way balance the drop in the pound? Also would the falls in European markets force the EU to promise favourable deals for the UK to try to stabilise Europe as a whole?
It does against those affected EU countries, which have for the most part taken a larger hit than we have (predictable I guess). Unlike most country heads which have all pretty much said bye bye UK, mistaken, disappointing, disaster, the head of the European Commission has made it very clear that they still require very close ties with the UK afterwards; they depend on us more than we do on them.

The trouble with democracy is, how many people were actually educated enough to vote on the issue

The trouble with democracy is, how many people were actually educated enough to vote on the issue
Very true. All you can do is arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible and try to encourage others to also. It's a shame that the politicians decided to lie and fight instead of just providing (unbiased) literature.

Everyone.

Question: With the markets falling all over Europe does this in a bizarre way balance the drop in the pound?
I was just looking at the FTSE this year. Its been a lot lower than it is now, earlier in the year. Just a few weeks ago it was 5900, and in Feb it was 5536.
As Ian said, it will be affecting Euprope more. Will be very interesting to see what happens next week once currency markets get rid of the glut created by the traders pooping themselves.

Very true. All you can do is arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible and try to encourage others to also. It's a shame that the politicians decided to lie and fight instead of just providing (unbiased) literature.

By the popular sentiment on twitter you would think only old racists not long for this world voted leave Europe because of immigration

I've also seen an alarming amount of tweets saying 16 and 17 year olds should have been able to vote because it effects their future too..

It's just the storm of a shock event. This time next week life will be starting to normalise in the new reality.

Well Didn't survive the whole night, fell asleep in the chair. Well I was certainly wrong about my prediction of the outcome. I'm a bit taken aback by the comments I've heard in recent weeks (mostly quite right-wing sentiments) reminds me of the National Fronts Heydays. Still some interesting times ahead

By the popular sentiment on twitter you would think only old racists not long for this world voted leave Europe because of immigration

I've also seen an alarming amount of tweets saying 16 and 17 year olds should have been able to vote because it effects their future too..

It is not racist to be concerned about immigration.

Yes, no disrespect but I would imagine that 90% of 15-20yo don't have a clue about the EU and the implications of staying or leaving. I know that when I was that age I had no bloody idea about UK politics let alone European politics.

Sturgeon unhappy with decision, second referendum, wants out of the UK, in EU, yet wants to be fully involved in decisions made by our government. Believes the English and Welsh people have made a mistake! Thing is, Scotland have a lot to lose, they get more out of the EU than they put in, so why don't they just ask that they receive the same amount in now from our exit, as the Welsh are doing. Seems like the SNP are a scorned party throwing their toys out of the pram again (feel for them though, Scotland require the EU more than we do, but they should have voted in the same numbers as the rest of the UK home countries).

She's always unhappy when things don't go her way!

IMO it's a pointless exercise which is borne out by the fact she has not called it already! Until the SNP can show they can plan and strategise effectively - particularly for the economy - there's no way Scotland could safely go independent. Last nights vote up here showed a lower %ge of voters than at the Referendum voting the way the way the SNP wanted, and at the Scottish Referendum they lost the first one 45:55. So not sure they'd get anywhere near enough for a decisive margin.

In addition, with current market, tax receipts and oil (the cherry on the top remember), Scotland would be broke in a matter of months, with no Barnett as the rUK would stop that immediately. Which means they need the ECB to back up the country. BUT... not sure how Scotland would think they could jump the EU queue either as Spain alone would not be pleased to allow them to join!

So in all 'balanced reality' it's years away before they could even countenance it - by which time I am sure there will be a lot more stability and therefore a lot less potential 'OUT' voters.

All of the above just creates yet more uncertainty which reduces incoming investment - it's a vicious circle.

Anyone seen George Osbourne? I know his days are numbered, but not seen him on TV today. Maybe having a long lay in?

She's always unhappy when things don't go her way!

She's always happy whenever there is an opportunity to be unhappy in front of some cameras about 'Westminister'. Never seen the woman smile.

Yes, no disrespect but I would imagine that 90% of 15-20yo don't have a clue about the EU and the implications of staying or leaving.

I will admit I don't really know about these things

For me, fundamentally it's unacceptable that unelected people can pass laws for the UK when the public have no say and there are no consequences for the law makers

I was never going to vote stay, only leave if I did vote, but I hesitant knowing that I haven't got the first clue how it will effect the economy and trade, but then I learned about Switzerland and they seem to be doing just fine out of the EU and that that swung me in to actually going to vote

To more educated people, the reason that pushed me into actually voting may sound dumband that's the trouble, an uneducated persons vote like myself counted just as much as someone who has actually spent hours doing proper research

I think seen from the prism of distance, it may turn out in the coming weeks and months that the big issue wasn't the referendum itself, but the setting of a simple majority as the dividing line. A decision as momentous and earth-shattering as this may have deserved a higher threshold. After all, there is no rule that states it had to be 50% (at the time the refendum was first mooted, I mean)

Morgan Stanley has just announced they're moving 2,000 jobs from London to Frankfurt and Dublin, according to BBC sources. These are likely to be high end, highly paid jobs since they're in the "investment banking" arm of the firm.

I think seen from the prism of distance, it may turn out in the coming weeks and months that the big issue wasn't the referendum itself, but the setting of a simple majority as the dividing line. A decision as momentous and earth-shattering as this may have deserved a higher threshold. After all, there is no rule that states it had to be 50% (at the time the refendum was first mooted, I mean)

No, 50% is a fair and an undisputable number, if it was say 60% but leave had 55% that's unfair, when it's 50% it boils down to those who feel strongly enough to actually take action and vote and the parties to work to get people to take that action.

In 5 years it'll be old news and everyone will have moved on. Indeed the EU want the article 50 process to start immediately to avoid prolonging the the uncertainty on the markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom