Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so Cameron has resigned and the Conservatives will have a leadership election.
Some labour MPs are calling for a leadership election also.

We all voted in the last election according to the manifesto's promoted by the various parties.
Holding a referendum was on the Conservative one ...

BUT, surely the actions we take now were never covered by any party?

Do we not need a general election, based on what actions we take leaving the EU?

AND, if want true democracy, a better system than the first past the post system we have now, when the majority of the electorate are ignored.

====

On a separate note, already received an email from a client from an EU country asking whether we can guarantee our current prices ...
(In my main business, we have to import all our raw materials, make the product/s and then export)
With some commentators forecasting EU and £ parity, raw cost up, but better exchange rate for clients buying from the UK ... prices will have to go up but hopefully the pound is low enough to compensate for non-UK clients.

@BREWSTERS

I am sure you know the banking system is not UK making, to change that is probably harder than EU exit.

You're right 'banking system' was not the right term to use. Fractional reserve banking with our currency issued by a private central bank is what needs changing and that can be done at a country level. Our currency should be created by the country for the benefit of the people.

BUT, surely the actions we take now were never covered by any party?

Do we not need a general election, based on what actions we take leaving the EU?

Unfortunately that's not how the (current) system works. The country gets to decide on a regular (used to be irregular) basis who's going to be in charge of it, then they get to do whatever they like (subject to getting the votes in the HoC and the HoL) for the duration of their mandate to govern.

Of course, one hopes that the HoC/HoL provide enough checks and balances to prevent the really loopy ideas, but as citizens we've got no say in what the government does in between General Elections.

By "who" in the previous post, I mean "party", not a particular individual. There could in theory be a different party leader from the winning party every day between one General Election and the next, and yet they (the party) would remain in charge. Changing PM does not trigger anything in particular.

That said, governments can (but don't have to) take advantage of a leadership change, if they're feeling strong and confident, to call a snap General Election to strengthen their party's mandate further.

That's a fascinating point - politicians have lost a straw man that they have leant on, to a greater or lesser extent, for 40 years now. So next time stuff goes wrong, there will be (or should be) no ducking their responsibility for their actions.

Exactly, when the change actually happens it releases billions of pounds that can be put back into the country. There is alot of talk that Corbyn didn't have control of his party, Corbyn is anti-EU, the party is pro EU but it would not have won it for remain. Watch the interviews going on with people on the street, this turned into a protest vote, London is seen as a single focal point for England and indeed the UK as a whole. People in other areas of England felt detached, look at the pattern of the votes it doesn't get any clearer.

I hope this sends out a message to all politicians that London is not the UK, it's not all that matters, they live in their own world which does not in any way relate to the real life of the citizens of the UK. I think the political parties need to realign themselves and start understanding their electorate alot better. I don't hear much about Obsourne but he was instrumental in creating even more detachment.

I think whatever way people voted this opportunity is embraced and that the country moves forward in a positive manner, the decision has been made and I realize for many the decision has been forced on them and ironically I truly believe it was a protest vote that won it. As for the EU itself, it will need to act fast and introduce some reforms or more countries. I see some pro remain politicians now saying that trade agreements won't be an issue because the likes of VW will still want to sell cars etc, let's move forward and build a stronger Britain and get along.

Brilliant. Not only the result but the whole of UK politics being shaken up. Now they should finally understand that they can't carry on treating the British people the way they have been.

AND, if want true democracy, a better system than the first past the post system we have now, when the majority of the electorate are ignored.

Agree 100%

====

On a separate note, already received an email from a client from an EU country asking whether we can guarantee our current prices ...
(In my main business, we have to import all our raw materials, make the product/s and then export)
With some commentators forecasting EU and £ parity, raw cost up, but better exchange rate for clients buying from the UK ... prices will have to go up but hopefully the pound is low enough to compensate for non-UK clients.

Are your material imports, and sales both in €? We're mostly buying product in £ and € and sales are in $....forward bought € yesterday afternoon and considering selling $ at the moment. It's been an interesting morning so far.

Unfortunately that's not how the (current) system works. The country gets to decide on a regular (used to be irregular) basis who's going to be in charge of it, then they get to do whatever they like (subject to getting the votes in the HoC and the HoL) for the duration of their mandate to govern.

Of course, one hopes that the HoC/HoL provide enough checks and balances to prevent the really loopy ideas, but as citizens we've got no say in what the government does in between General Elections.

At the time I thought that it was a relief to have fixed term elections ... but my personal thoughts are that the direction the UK takes as we exit is so important, an election would be the right thing to do.

The only hope is a no-confidence vote I believe? Though that would be unlikely to succeed ...

New PM should 100% be Teresa May for me. Talented, steady, bright, experienced.

Osborne has no chance. Boris has the mind, but not the world stage gravitas. Gove is too divisive (the entire teaching profession would be distraught).

Who the next Chancellor should be is less clear. I don't suppose for a moment that Osborne will have the support he needs to continue in the role. It might be nice to have someone with an economics background this time though!
They've all got their careers to think about and will be desperately looking at how best to secure their own futures. I think that will be best served by rallying together, the remain camp should lick their wounds, calculating what they already have and look forward to another four years in government.

Agree 100%

Bugger, just fell off my chair ;)

Are your material imports, and sales both in €? We're mostly buying product in £ and € and sales are in $....forward bought € yesterday afternoon and considering selling $ at the moment. It's been an interesting morning so far.

I am further down the food chain to know all the ins and outs, but we buy raw materials worldwide, many from the EU. Don't know if they are bought from a Euro account or Sterling account (which is what you are asking?). To be fair, costs may go up, but that could be balanced by the lower pound so non-UK customers can compensate - but we may still be more expensive that a EU provider ... much to early to say really, only time will tell!

Brilliant. Not only the result but the whole of UK politics being shaken up. Now they should finally understand that they can't carry on treating the British people the way they have been.

Exactly.

Why is discussion only revolving around the usual suspects for taking over as 'leaders'?

Britain has a history of being innovators...technology means there are so many options available to us. Politicians have been taking the absolute piss for years.

The PM is with the Queen. I would imagine it is the most embarrassing meeting of his political career. I hope she gives him a good rollicking about underestimating the courage of the people and talking down our ability to survive as a sovereign nation.

The PM is with the Queen. I would imagine it is the most embarrassing meeting of his political career. I hope she gives him a good rollicking about underestimating the courage of the people and talking down our ability to survive as a sovereign nation.
Do you think she'll be purring?

It goes to show that if Scotland had the same level of turnout as the rest of the home nations, the result would likely to have been different. I suspect voting fatigue from the recent Scottish referendum has resulted in less interest/reaction from Scottish people...kind of ironic!

What is done is done - let's move forward - though I do believe we need a general election.

Interesting fact though ...
Nigel Farrage said that a 52-48 result in remains' favour should lead to a second referendum ...
Don't hear him asking for a second referendum now ...

At 92,000 signatures now so it will hit the threshold within an hour. Won't work, of course, but can't really fault the idea...

Sturgeon unhappy with decision, second referendum, wants out of the UK, in EU, yet wants to be fully involved in decisions made by our government. Believes the English and Welsh people have made a mistake! Thing is, Scotland have a lot to lose, they get more out of the EU than they put in, so why don't they just ask that they receive the same amount in now from our exit, as the Welsh are doing. Seems like the SNP are a scorned party throwing their toys out of the pram again (feel for them though, Scotland require the EU more than we do, but they should have voted in the same numbers as the rest of the UK home countries).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom