Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing the nazis into it is just crazy, i assume you are trying to call me racist. I assume you missed the bit where i said All religions should have equal rights

Of course they should. How is that in question and what does it have to do with the EU?

UKIP is a far right organization. Many members are certainly racists, and some are fascists.

I do find it funny that someone in the pimping business is trying to defend Christian rights against the EU, even before the fact that the ECHR ruled in their favour

Yes. But that isn't the point, it should never have happened in the first place. All religions should have equal rights I think we need to leave the EU then get someone like UKIP charge
I'm just trying to get my head around how remaining or exiting the EU would have had a bearing on the Legend of Necklace Lady? I trust you were pleased with the decision by the ruddy yoomun rights eurocrats? Thank the Lord for the ECHR, eh?

I agree that if we have to continue to pander to silly bronze age myths, then we should do so equally, but still.

In the words of the Battlestar Galactica reboot: "All this has happened before."

Setting aside the few paragraphs on the Euro (currency not footie), this piece from 1999 by the late Hugo Young pretty much nails the current debate just as accurately as it did the then-debate back in the second millennium...

This bit in particular resonated mightily:
At the heart of this is an impenetrable contradiction in the anti-Europe British mind. It cannot decide between terror and disdain. Britain is apparently so great, as well as so different, a place that she can afford to do without her continental hinterland. But she is so puny, so endangered, so destined to lose every argument with the continentals, that she must fear for her identity if and when she makes the final commitment to belong among them.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/hugo-young-euro-referendum-archive-piece-1999

Indeed, and there are many more forecasts out there. Even some from the leave side show a "shallow" recession.

Only one however, to my knowledge, has forecast a positive effect, and that is the one shown, by "Economists for Brexit". They are I assume, showing how they will fund the unicorns, along with the NHS, CAP, scientific funding, schools, tariffs etc.

How much of a drop in GDP in equivalent to the saving in EU contributions? I recall 0.6%, but that is probably disputed also.

I hope the sovereignty (or should we call it nostalgia) is worth it, because we and our children will be paying heavily for it.
Trust us.

domainers are largely 'older gentlemen'. Is there anyone here under 40?

Um?...I'm not sure.

Yeah? Well you're a poopoohead

Ah!...Yes. There is. :p

cartoon10.jpg

The money from the Common Agricultural Policy is the only thing keeping many farmers afloat. That would dry up if we brexit.

(BTW Vote Leave also promised to cover the loss of C.A.P funding by spending the savings from leaving the EU on it. That's the exact same savings that are supposedly going to plug every other hole in the sinking ship post-brexit.)

The reason why CAP is currently necessary, is because of cheap imports.

How can it be viable to pay farmers to not farm?

So where are we tonight.

We have learned that we still have two main choices.
To either leave and risk a shallow recession, if the "experts"
are correct.
Or alternatively remain and accept that we will have
to accommodate immigration increasing the population of
the UK by the equivalent of a city the size of Birmingham every
3 or 4 years.

We have moved a little today because the government have now got permission ( subject to appeal by Poland ) that we don't have to pay benefits to new migrants , but I assume we would still have to house them to keep them off the streets while they are claiming human rights abuse. That makes little difference to numbers. Nor will it make us richer because the remain camp have already made it clear that immigrants that come here don't claim benefits.

So where are we tonight?

Well, we know project fear isn't working very well. In fact, 'remain' has been going down hill since Obama stuck his nose in.

gfgfgf.png

Expect project fear to go 'nuclear' at the weekend.

cartoon13.jpg

Last edited:
Trust us.

Why would we trust you? You are a self proclaimed expert of nothing, who has spent 40 years reading all the newspapers without being able to deduce which ones write trash. You appear bitter at the way the UK has turned out, and so are venting your dissatisfaction by blaming the EU for just about everything.

You snort nostalgia, dreaming of listening to the sound of leather on willow whilst spitfires wing tip you overhead. You're the guy down the pub that blames the police for crime, and the council for dog shit, without any reference to logic. You're the guy that sneers at those that learn, and apply learning. You assume all failings are due to the wicked intelligentsia keeping you down.

We've all met you. We've just never been asked to trust you before with such a decision. I realise that is partly why you are for leave, but it is not a comfortable feeling.

Why would we trust you? You are a self proclaimed expert of nothing, who has spent 40 years reading all the newspapers without being able to deduce which ones write trash. You appear bitter at the way the UK has turned out, and so are venting your dissatisfaction by blaming the EU for just about everything.

You snort nostalgia, dreaming of listening to the sound of leather on willow whilst spitfires wing tip you overhead. You're the guy down the pub that blames the police for crime, and the council for dog shit, without any reference to logic. You're the guy that sneers at those that learn, and apply learning. You assume all failings are due to the wicked intelligentsia keeping you down.

We've all met you. We've just never been asked to trust you before with such a decision. I realise that is partly why you are for leave, but it is not a comfortable feeling.

I was joking about trust me. Anyway, flattery will get you nowhere.

The economic argument
Represented by Oliver Morrissey, School of Economics, whose research interests include trade policy and the political economy of policy reform.

“Immigration is one of the main reasons for the referendum. For centuries, Britain has welcomed immigrants. While it’s economically successful, we can absorb them and they provide a net benefit. But that’s the past. It’s becoming harder to get full-time, well-paid stable employment - an increasing proportion of the labour force is in low-wage, temporary, zero-hour contracts. Immigration is a factor in causing that – as well as creating pressure on the education and health systems. People want some degree of regulation – the fact that the EU prevents that is a legitimate reason to vote to leave.
“It’s misleading to claim there won’t be costs for trade, but it’s equally misleading to claim these costs will be large. If Britain leaves the EU it will have to renegotiate existing trading relations with countries around the world that have been negotiated as part of the European Union. However, as the fifth largest economy in the world it’s likely to be in the interests of Britain’s trading partners to look for an agreement that is more or less a continuation of the existing relationship. There are structures within the WTO that would help that to happen. The US would find that of interest, as would many other nations – they don’t want the unnecessary extra costs of renegotiation.
“Put simply, the EU is not working. It’s not working on its economic policy, it’s got a deficit of democracy and a surfeit of regulation. It’s too rigid and not flexible enough. If Britain votes to exit, it’s the wakeup call the rest of Europe needs.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom