Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whereas the discredited £350 million claim is being repeated several times a day (over 500 press mentions in the last week) - it's still on the side of the Leave battle bus, for goodness sake!

Fair enough. I had a word with BoJo & he said he would change it, especially for you.

Vote Leave Bus.640x480.jpg

Happy now?? :D

Do we think that the votes in the poll truly represent Acorn? Do we think we've only got 53 active members on the forum who are making up the 5000+ views of this thread? Or are there people who are scared to put their foot in either camp for fear of being torn down by the other side or is it a case like politics and money people where people like to keep it to themselves?

It makes you wonder of all the other polls out there how representative they are!

Do we think that the votes in the poll truly represent Acorn? Do we think we've only got 53 active members on the forum who are making up the 5000+ views of this thread? Or are there people who are scared to put their foot in either camp for fear of being torn down by the other side or is it a case like politics and money people where people like to keep it to themselves?

It makes you wonder of all the other polls out there how representative they are!
Yes, I was thinking the same! I've not voted in the Acorn poll yet - still weighing this up and reading people's views (on both sides). I'm quite surprised that Brexit is as far ahead as it is. I know it's a relatively small sample size but I wonder what it is about a domain forum that would make it sway in that direction more than (if polls are to be believed) the population at large?

Yes, I was thinking the same! I've not voted in the Acorn poll yet - still weighing this up and reading people's views (on both sides). I'm quite surprised that Brexit is as far ahead as it is. I know it's a relatively small sample size but I wonder what it is about a domain forum that would make it sway in that direction more than (if polls are to be believed) the population at large?
Very unrepresentative I would imagine. Predominantly male for a start and small business centric. I work for a large organisation and my sense is that the split in voting would be the opposite to the way the acorn poll looks if we had an equivalent poll at work.

I wonder how many domainers are 'team players'... Those of us who actually build stuff pretty much have to be

I expect it to to go about the same as the Scottish one - late surge for Brexit will persuade the majority against to vote and remain wins - but probably not by enough to put a decisive end to it. If we remain, we can of course have the same referendum again in a year or two if we so wish. If we go, that's probably it.

Not sure how much of a factor it is for this forum but Brexit would certainly do enormous damage to the EU.

Does anyone else just scroll past what Edwin says now? First few bits slightly interesting to see that point of view, now getting a bit preachy.

Edwin is one of the few long-suffering voices of reason on this forum, he does more for domainers than most and you're lucky he sticks around

Edwin you are looking at this like you look at a general election, policies that either stand up or don't stand up. This is not a general election, this is a decision on the direction of the country for the foreseeable future. It simply can't be wrong or right based on short to medium term economics. If we were in the Euro our challenge would be far greater. As it is whatever the short term affects the country can be steered onto a profitable course. It could well mean those that can afford it best might have to bite the bullet for a short while. It's impossible for anyone to predict the strength of the pound and our stock market, whether interest rates will rise, if house prices fall and what our credit rating will be and what effect that will have.
Someone in an abusive marriage can not simply look at the economics of leaving.
But if you really think you can predict the future, kindly tell us over the next 10 years how the government will afford to build 500,000 homes a year and where will they put them. How will we provide enough schools for non English speaking children, and perhaps you might like to guess at how many school places that might be and how many teachers will be needed to fill the schools. Perhaps you could tell us how you are going to pacify the teachers that are already stressed by the current situation. Perhaps you could tell us where the increased funds will come from to stop cut backs in the police and prison services and most of all how we are going to continue to fund the NHS with the increasing burden of the new elderly family members brought in by immigrants waiting in Europe to get to the UK.

With all due respect, your abusive marriage analogy is irrelevant bollocks and your grasp of economics is questionable.

The suggestion that our NHS is weighed down by immigrants bringing in their elders is laughable nonsense. Immigrants are the ones propping up our ageing population.

Cutbacks in the police and prison services are largely driven by ideology over economics - and are achievable because the crime rate continues to fall

No wish to offend, but you've got the wrong end of the tree

The suggestion that our NHS is weighed down by immigrants bringing in their elders is laughable nonsense. Immigrants are the ones propping up our ageing population.

There was a statement from someone about the annual winter crises not so long ago, can't remember who. They said that population growth was a major factor in why the crisis is getting worse each year.

Immigration has increased the volume of work for the NHS, there's no disputing that.

It's still bullshit - what possible reason is there to keep restating a proven lie except that a certain section of society will accept it without question?

If its BS, then what's the truth?

As far as I can see, its not a 'proven lie' and indeed the EU does cost us around that figure.

Edwin is one of the few long-suffering voices of reason on this forum, he does more for domainers than most and you're lucky he sticks around

Yeah, and????????

In this thread he's getting preachy. Is that good for domainers?

With all due respect, your abusive marriage analogy is irrelevant bollocks and your grasp of economics is questionable.

Cutbacks in the police and prison services are largely driven by ideology over economics - and are achievable because the crime rate continues to fall

No wish to offend, but you've got the wrong end of the tree

You say no chance of huge numbers of people in Europe after getting EU passports, won't bring over their families including the elderly ( one immigrant in Sweden who already has a wife and four children, has won the right to bring in his second wife and eight children ). I notice you don't mention schools and housing so that may be one area you don't think I have the wrong end of the tree ( maybe that problem hits closer to home) What do you say about the Albanian double murderer who got here posing as a Kosovan refugee, who gets a four bedroom house £2000 a month and wins legal aid to now line lawyers pockets to stay in the UK. The stronger we make our economy ( ignoring the Jihads ) the more attractive we make it for our country to economic immigrants. Incidently when we talk about looking after these people let's remember that we can not even service our national debt.
You seem to suffer from either ignorance of the subject or more likely delusion. So no offence taken.

You can chart your course to avoid disaster, you can alter your sails and weather the storms, but if there are too many people in the ship, I'm afraid it sinks.

Assuming leave wins and Briton pulls up the drawbridge. How will we distinguish between Europeans who have a right to work and those who don't on a practical level. Will everyone currently here get passport, work permit how does it work how are we going to tell one Pole or German from another has anyone worked out the costs to administrate all this.
Dose the door just close the day after or in the 2 year period could millions come potentially come just to keep the door open for themselves in the future. Is there any firm plan for what's going to happen on the leave side or is it we will just sort it out when were out.

Assuming leave wins and Briton pulls up the drawbridge. How will we distinguish between Europeans who have a right to work and those who don't on a practical level.

Wouldn't a national insurance number and work visa do this? If you employ people from outside of the EU, the employer has to jump through a few hoops. No big deal?

Wouldn't a national insurance number and work visa do this? If you employ people from outside of the EU, the employer has to jump through a few hoops. No big deal?
I guess so but what about the people who don't have a national insurance number maybe the partners or children of EU workers someone's going to have to administrate them costs. Leavers keep jumping on the NHS bandwagon even though I believe those at the top of it want us to remain in the EU.
Have the leavers worked out what savings can be made by reducing immigration are there any? do these figures factor in all the red tape and costs there is going to be running a points type system are we simply going to be replacing medical personal with HR personal to administrate the mess successive governments have made in workforce planning in the NHS for years.

What, it costs the same to run a system like this as to provide housing, schooling, local services, healthcare, policing, etc. for a growing population? As if! :)

That was my attempt at humour. Apologies if it wasn't to your taste.

It's still bullshit - what possible reason is there to keep restating a proven lie except that a certain section of society will accept it without question?

It's what politicians do every day, safe in the knowledge that Fiona Bruce will keep reading it out on the six o'clock BBC news in her patronising, bedtime-story, excitable "I'm going to pee my pants" manner, without question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom