Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU Referendum

Acorn EU Poll

• Remain

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting stuff here though, a new leave advert has gone out and is using the .uk for their site.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I assume restrictions have been put on pro for for campaigns on television and in the media, so is this just a cheeky way of advertise a gambling website, with a hidden agenda?!?!

I assume restrictions have been put on pro for for campaigns on television and in the media, so is this just a cheeky way of advertise a gambling website, with a hidden agenda?!?!

Nope, you don't understand. The site in the ad is not a gambling site, it is owned by Vote Leave. The term £50 million is meant to represent the money that is handed over each day to the EU. It isn't an advertising gimmick. The site will go after the referendum.

Anyway, the point here is that they are using the .uk not the .co.uk for their national campaign.

Not really. The site and domain name are both owned by "Vote Leave", the official "brexit" campaign group. So they've probably spent some of their money on it - there are limits on how much each of the two official camps can spend on advertising (£7 million is the figure, if I recall correctly) but they are still allowed to advertise.

Nope, you don't understand. The site in the ad is not a gambling site, it is owned by Vote Leave. The term £50 million is meant to represent the money that is handed over each day to the EU. It isn't an advertising gimmick. The site will go after the referendum.

Actually, it is both a "statement" site and a competition at the same time. There really is a contest being run with a £50 million prize, but it involves picking the correct winner of every single Euro 2016 match (there are 51 matches and if you pick even 1/51 incorrectly you're out of the running for the £50 million) so there's a probability so low there are probably more atoms in the universe that anyone will actually pocket such a large sum. There is also a "backup" prize of £50,000 which is the effective top prize, for the entrant who gets closest, which is all Vote Leave has actually had to commit. The £50 million is just for better buzz...

And if you're wondering how they can possibly offer £50 million as a prize, well, they've taken out insurance against winning. Said insurance can't have cost much given the ludicrously impossible odds against anyone getting every match correct (probably a few hundred pounds, more for the admin involved in writing said insurance than for the insurance premium itself).

Actually, it is both a "statement" site and a competition at the same time. There really is a contest being run with a £50 million prize, but it involves picking the correct winner of every single Euro 2016 match so there's a probability so low there are probably more atoms in the universe that anyone will actually pocket such a large sum. There is also a "backup" prize of £50,000 which is the effective top prize, for the entrant who gets closest.

What I think the previous poster was getting at was that it was some kind of paddy power type gorilla marketing thing. I think it was something like 14 billion to one or something, so yep it isn't going to happen but I read that they have insurance to cover it anyway.

Vapid non-story. The site in question had apparently been #1 for a decade or more.

But then what happened? I mean "really happened", not "conspiracy theory fantasy happened"?

Well, suddenly the EU referendum was massive news, and huge websites (thousands of times bigger than the tiny site in question) had whole sections dedicated to the topic, with fresh updated content added several times a day.

Lo and behold, the owner of tiny old site found his site knocked down the Google ranking by these behemoths and their fresh content.

In other words, Google's algorithms worked exactly as they always have.

No manual intervention, no conspiracy, nothing to see here folks.

I'd agree I don't think that is one site being dropped is a conspiracy. What is more suspicious is that there are no Brexit publications in there.

Daily Mail is the first pro Brexit placed result and they are in position 19.

Not really a conspiracy theory though, check out Hilary Clintons email leaks. Google have been known to be involved in attempted regime change in Syria. Facebook did some of this stuff in the Indian elections of 2010.

No manual intervention, no conspiracy, nothing to see here folks

Whether it is going on here or not is hard to tell - so not sure how you know it isn't going on anymore than people know it is. When you've just been given a 2 billion pound favourable tax deal by the Pro Eu Chancellor - that's one hell of a lot of adwords he's just bought. :D

The referendum explained by THE DAILY EXPRESS ;)

rdbZllT.jpg

BTW, is anyone of "remain" persuasion bothered about the Leave camp's attempts to create new policy on the fly, for example:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...english-in-post-brexit-uk-says-leave-campaign

As we've already discussed earlier in this thread, they're not the ones who will be implementing a post-Brexit scenario, so it seems a mite cheeky to be spitting out new policies like a shopping list when they in practice have zero say in whether their ideas make the cut or not. Especially since they're being issued in the same "language of certainty" that real, actual policies use i.e. "we will", etc.

Leave just can't win can they. If they paint a picture of how things could work, you poo-poo it as "they're not in charge". If they don't, you tear Brexit up for not explaining how a new world would look!

These people are in a position to influence policy after Brexit, if nothing else by floating workable plans now.

Leave just can't win can they. If they paint a picture of how things could work, you poo-poo it as "they're not in charge". If they don't, you tear Brexit up for not explaining how a new world would look!

I believe at the last count, the Leave camp had spent the so-called saving that would arise from leaving the EU eleven times over already. In other words, they keep promising new things on a near daily basis, which are all due to be paid for with the same relatively small pot of cash - but they never make that aspect clear.

So for anyone not following the subject very closely (i.e. the majority of the electorate) it sounds at face value like a Brexit would bring a cascade of goodies, whereas at best they'll get ONE thing from it - after that, there will be nothing left in the kitty because all the savings will have been spent.

After all, there's a world of difference between:

1) Vote for this and you can have: A or B or C or D or E.
2) Vote for this and you can have: A and B and C and D and E.

1) is the true situation
2) Is the way the high-profile spokespeople for Leave have been talking about the situation

I don't understand how some remain'ers don't get it either. Let me try and explain for them.

If we vote out, you get what ever you vote for at the election after that - simple!

All this vote is about is this, do you want the next general election to mean something, yes or no?

Retaining the amount of money we send to the EU is just one of the benefits of leaving. And not the most important one.

The single biggest reason to leave the EU is to avoid any further escalation of EU influence and control over UK legislation. To regain sovereignty.

That would allow us to do a million and one things, including restrict immigration to a more manageable level. So that property prices stop spiraling out of control, so that development of services can keep up with the pace of population growth, that sort of thing.

Bang goes the ECHR overruling UK courts and law.

Bang goes the constant threat of EU legislation and a United States of Europe.

And yes, given no more need to subsidise EU countries up to our standard of living, we can welcome back millions of pounds of public money to spend on our own priorities.

Has anyone read the article (telegraph I think) which discusses how the exit would work ? its a long read but interesting. I can't find it now :(

Its interesting that during the possible 2 yr exit process we can change our mind and say oh poopy this isn't working. So we can try setting up on our own and hopefully if the plans don't all work out we can return to servitude and kowtowing.

Has anyone read the article (telegraph I think) which discusses how the exit would work ? its a long read but interesting. I can't find it now :(

Its interesting that during the possible 2 yr exit process we can change our mind and say oh poopy this isn't working. So we can try setting up on our own and hopefully if the plans don't all work out we can return to servitude and kowtowing.

I think possibly you can't find it because it was actually in the Guardian, yesterday.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/31/what-happens-next-if-britain-votes-to-leave-the-eu

And here's a similar article from earlier today, published through Reuters
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-roadmap-idUKKCN0YM28B

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom