Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

EU prior rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
aqls said:
I can't make it, sorry.

But can someone bring up that dreadful case of potential fraud that has had it's thread deleted (on purpose)?

If anyone wants a reminder of what it was, pm and I can refresh.

-aqls-

aqls

send me a pm end of next week to remind me and i'll pop it on a list, time permitting etc

rob said:
IP Check? To check he has one?! :)

I am all for openness - thus its blindingly obvious who I am - and would not say open IP's / required info in profiles / etc is needed, more the mindset of "this bloke doesnt want people to know his name and there is a reason for it".

There are a few on the forum who like to be anon or claim to be other people, and it is highly amusing when you read their posts bearing in mind their own lack of transparency ;)

Rob

Who are you? :confused:

grandin said:
By asking the two questions we should cover everything...but not return home until the 30th

Lee

Hey Lee...

If you ask those kinds of questions you might not return home at all! :twisted:

<just kidding>

Regards
James Conaghan

I am nobody else

grandin said:
are you the jack or another jack...........i am getting confused with all these many names....ole has a boy and girls name.......i suppose its all about who has the most names

lee

Lee

I can assure you I am not Jack The Hat or Mrs olebean. :rolleyes:

I don't know if Jack The Hat wants to elaborate, but he may be a Nominet member who has held the nickname "The Hat" since the early days.

PS: My nic springs from my initials: JAC.

Regards
James (A) Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Whois-Search said:
Can we have a ip check on jack_the_hat please admin ?

Also anything "fraud" related should be reported through the proper channels.

Andrew,

Considering admin censored a thread wherein some posters alleged that Nominet allows fraud to take place; and that's how it read (as in red) to me; I would find it rather inappropriate now, if admin started publishing people's IP addresses. If people want to remain anonymous that's actually okay with me, but if they are going to make accusations against Nominet or anybody else, it would be nice if they had the good grace not to hide behind nicknames... (oh, and pigs might fly too).

Regards
James Conaghan
[me, myself and nobody else]

Jac said:
Andrew,

Considering admin censored a thread wherein some posters alleged that Nominet allows fraud to take place; and that's how it read (as in red) to me; I would find it rather inappropriate now, if admin started publishing people's IP addresses. If people want to remain anonymous that's actually okay with me, but if they are going to make accusations against Nominet or anybody else, it would be nice if they had the good grace not to hide behind nicknames... (oh, and pigs might fly too).

Regards
James Conaghan
[me, myself and nobody else]

Jac

I think what he (originator of the thread) was getting at, was not necessarily a fraud having taken place, but, the apparent ease at which things occurred. They could have kept quiet about it and I fully understand his reluctance to provide further details. If the a security loophole exists/existed, whether through lapse in quality, training etc etc the issue is serious... In these circumstances, I feel it maybe prudent to resolve him and others from any repercussions, considering they volunteered the information.

Jac said:
So far Beasty, Sneezycheese, Olebean, Whois-Search and possible one other have confirmed.

If anyone else would like to join us for a Q+A at Nominet Oxford on the 22nd June (12 to 3pm) please confirm your details to my private email [email protected] - lunch is provided.

Hopefully Hazel (PAB Member) can make it too.

Just to update everyone; Beasty, sneezycheese, olebean, Whois-Search and Lee Grandin have all confirmed. I can confirm the 22nd June is in place with Nominet from 12.00 till 3.00pm and lunch is provided. I would suggest you all aim to arrive at Nominet just before 12.00. The reception desk is just inside the main entrance, just mention the Acorn Domains meeting when signing in.

If anybody else decides later that they want to attend, just PM me [email protected] and I will arrange a place for you.

Unfortunately Hazel cannot attend so you're stuck with me from the PAB side. :twisted:

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Jac said:
Unfortunately Hazel cannot attend so you're stuck with me from the PAB side. :twisted:

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Jac

There was me thinking I would meet the Old Gal! :-D

There was a previous requests for a webcast of the meeting (Voyuers!) is this an option and have you had more than one request for it.

olebean said:
There was a previous requests for a webcast of the meeting (Voyuers!) is this an option and have you had more than one request for it.

I think only the AGM gets a webcast.......

Though you could take your cine film camera olebean ;)

Whois-Search said:

Whois

We are not worthy lol

Whats a cine film camera? :confused:

OB

How to get to Nominet UK

Some directions to Nominet UK for your convenience.

Map Link 1

Map Link 2

• Off M40 - Junction 8 (or 8A)
  • Head down A40 towards Oxford
  • At Headington Roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A4142 (signposted Ring Road)
  • Turn left onto Sandy Lane West (signposted Peers Campus, Nuffield Industrial Centre)
  • Turn right (almost immediately)

Here's a map of the immediate area.

Street Address:
Nominet UK
Sandford Gate
Sandy Lane West
Oxford OX4 6LB
Tel: 01865 332211

Regards
James Conaghan

olebean said:
Jac

I think what he (originator of the thread) was getting at, was not necessarily a fraud having taken place, but, the apparent ease at which things occurred. They could have kept quiet about it and I fully understand his reluctance to provide further details. If the a security loophole exists/existed, whether through lapse in quality, training etc etc the issue is serious... In these circumstances, I feel it maybe prudent to resolve him and others from any repercussions, considering they volunteered the information.

For the record olebean, I wasn't looking to drop anybody in it; I was more worried that if this kind of loophole exists (and Nominet isn't being vigilent enough in checking details) that it could well be abused in the future and some unsuspecting registrant might have their domain names usurped by some unscrupulous operator. I wasn't personally suggesting any foul play or fraud on anybody's part.

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Last edited:
Whois-Search said:

Quick answer is, I don't know if a webcast is possible or practical at Oxford, but I'll ask. However, wouldn't a webcast put limitations on what people might otherwise say, do, or argue? I mean; can you just imagine catching olebean with a chicken leg in his gob?

But seriously, I always feel that webcasts or live video feeds tend to be restrictive in nature (they make things a tad too formalised). I'd personally prefer people to feel at ease about asking any question at all that comes up.

(So far, I think only aqls asked if it was possible).

Regards
James Conaghan

Hazel Pegg said:
Send me a ticket to Rarotonga and I may just show :)

Hazel

The cheek of some people :roll: ;)

One expired ticket on its way! 8)

sneezycheese said:
The point I was trying to make was that Nominet versus Companies House wasn’t a like for like comparison; in fact it’s quite the opposite.

If you want exact like for like comparisons you have to look at the internet domain registry business, otherwise the comparison will not be truly like for like. My only reason for mentioning any comparison of Companies House was that others were suggesting Nominet was like it. I therefore quoted some particular benchmarks for Companies House/Nominet comparisons to be helpful.

Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom