Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Stolen domain!

Which do you agree with?

• I Should have suspected something fishy and started asking questions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have ANY right to the domain at all - move on

• Domain Monster can do what they want with domains it's in their T&C - TUFF!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So have you been compensated for this "error" surely they hold liability insurance for this type of thing (1/1000000) ,sounds like the crown is slowly falling from DomainMonster's head,they bump there dropcatching fee significantly and now this...

I hope to have some kind of resolve by the end of today, as surely it must be a clear cut either way in Nominets eyes? Even if the transfer etc was done with cloak, dagger - smoke and mirrors.

The domain is actually for a client, and will have a website on it - not just parked and as mentioned to a few on here before, my client called me on the 16th Sep very pleased we had secured it for them. :rolleyes:

2 points / questions :

1. Double bookings with any company could quite easily have a bit of code that check duplicate domains in the Backorder section .. say every hour and an email created if so.
  2. Changing an email in the admin of a registrars should have a click-able link sent to the original email address from nominet to confirm this change, if it's not clicked, no transfer takes place.

God Damn it that makes you look awful:

(To Customer) hi there,we have secured the domain on your behalf...

(to you) well done ,we really appreciate your time and effort in this matter...

(to Customer) we thought we had secured it for you ?????

(to you) are you having a laugh....how unproffesional are you.....your sacked

I would ask for the domain and compo....

Could some of these issues be addressed if Nominet sent an automatic email to the registrant (at the old admin email address) whenever whois admin details are amended?

This needs to happen in my opinion, it's always been the weak link in the new system.

Grant

Won't it be too late by then? It would need to be a confrimatio link sent to the old email address to STOP fraud I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpydog View Post
Could some of these issues be addressed if Nominet sent an automatic email to the registrant (at the old admin email address) whenever whois admin details are amended?
This needs to happen in my opinion, it's always been the weak link in the new system.

Grant

....ditto that

Last year someone changed the postal address on one of my builing society accounts & I would never have known if the bs hadn't sent me a letter confirming the new details to the old (my real) address.

Trouble is mate that most c/panels have the ability to redirect your emails, as most people keep all their names in one place. So they could just redirect all your emails for 10 minutes while they transfer the domain. So even if Nominet email you to tell you your admin email address has been changed, you won't get it.

A succesful system needs to be removed from the registra system, such as a text message is the only real way to do it.

Won't it be too late by then? It would need to be a confrimatio link sent to the old email address to STOP fraud I think.

This opens up another can of worms relating to registrars taking control of expired domains. If Nominet are happy with registrars including the option to do this in their terms then the registrar will need to be able to change the admin email address so that they can transfer the domain to a new owner after it has been auctioned or whatever, a confirm link in this case would be problematic.

The ability to modify the admin email address has opened up a whole load of issues that Nominet really need to address..........

Grant

I have called and emailed Nominet again and will wait the fate of the domain with a reply.

Removed this line - As I now have been told by current owner Domain Monster had changed the admin email and details not the current owner?!*!

I'm going with what ever legally is right and what ever will be, .....will be.

Who updated the admin email?

- Domain monster?
- Current registrant via Domain Monster?
- Current registrant via Nominet?
- Nominet?

The ability to modify the admin email address has opened up a whole load of issues that Nominet really need to address..........

Grant

couldn't they just add a security question when you want to modify the address that way in theory only the owner can make the change?

This opens up another can of worms relating to registrars taking control of expired domains. If Nominet are happy with registrars including the option to do this in their terms.............
............The ability to modify the admin email address has opened up a whole load of issues that Nominet really need to address..........

Grant

Several registrars are already doing this with .uk. Are Nominet happy with this - Is there an official line on it?

When I spoke to them earlier this year they were not really interested & said it was OK if it was in the registrars t&c's. But surely the terms between the registrar & customer cannot trump the registrar's agreement with Nominet, which quite clearly states that the registrar may only make changes at the customer's request.

Several registrars are already doing this with .uk. Are Nominet happy with this - Is there an official line on it?

When I spoke to them earlier this year they were not really interested & said it was OK if it was in the registrars t&c's. But surely the terms between the registrar & customer cannot trump the registrar's agreement with Nominet, which quite clearly states that the registrar may only make changes at the customer's request.

There's no official line on it as far as I know. Andrew asked the question on the Nom forum a while ago but there's been no response.

If Nominet are happy with it then they need to be setting some strict guidelines. Dynadot for example are auctioning domains off and then just pushing them to the winning bidders account, no proper transfer. The buyer is paying for something he doesn't legally own and the previous registrant has his name attached to a domain being used by someone else for god knows what. Proper messy!

Grant

There's no official line on it as far as I know. Andrew asked the question on the Nom forum a while ago but there's been no response.

If Nominet are happy with it then they need to be setting some strict guidelines. Dynadot for example are auctioning domains off and then just pushing them to the winning bidders account, no proper transfer. The buyer is paying for something he doesn't legally own and the previous registrant has his name attached to a domain being used by someone else for god knows what. Proper messy!

Grant

In regards to auctioning off expired domains this is where Nom were at as of 10th August (I've been pushing them for an answer since May)

---

Hello Robin

Yes, I realise this is taking some time.

The issue we have is that Dynadot's T's & C's cover this practice, and in doing this they do not infringe on our T's & C's.

We now have to decide if this is a policy matter, and changes made to our constitution.

It is sitting with our legal team now and proposals being discussed, I have sent an email today asking where we are with this and as always will keep you informed when I know something.

Kind regards

Dawn

---

:(

Grant

That's my problem with Nominet. They're really nice people to deal with & generally very helpful, but the management is insular and extremely sensitive to any criticsm about process or procedures & especially registrars.

Perhaps it's down to the constitution of the company - how does Nominet control an errant registrar, who is ultimately an owner of the company? Turkeys & Christmas spring to mind!

But surely the terms between the registrar & customer cannot trump the registrar's agreement with Nominet, which quite clearly states that the registrar may only make changes at the customer's request.

That's the view I took. Personally, I haven't been overly impressed with how Nominet have handled this.

- Rob

Last edited:
That's my problem with Nominet. They're really nice people to deal with & generally very helpful, but the management is insular and extremely sensitive to any criticsm about process or procedures & especially registrars.

Perhaps it's down to the constitution of the company - how does Nominet control an errant registrar, who is ultimately an owner of the company? Turkeys & Christmas spring to mind!

It's a point that scares me and maybe Nom's management (I don't know)

But take a group like Sedo, who is going to criticise Sedo or One and One for this type of behaviour, after all Sedo get's 3% at vote time, one and one get's 3%, Domcollect get 3% and all the other satelite organisation round there. If Nom pee them off or reprimand them, then Nom don't get there way at AGM's or Elections of Non-Execs.

In my opinion all this scare over domainers taking control at Nominet was never about us, Nom was using us as a diversion to get powers to stop a takeover from the powerful interests of Registrars, and it is a real threat.

Who updated the admin email?

- Domain monster?
- Current registrant via Domain Monster?
- Current registrant via Nominet?
- Nominet?

Just to be super clear on this all, we DID NOT change the admin address or any contact details following this issue per previous posts.

I have discussed the issue at length with our team and Nominet today and the "current registrant" (See below as not current anymore!) DID change the admin email address in order to make this contact change.

Finally, I and the team have continued to work on this today. Golddiggerguy is now in control of the domain.

What made you change your mind Matt considering before you apologised?

I have discussed the issue at length with our team and Nominet today and the "current registrant" (See below as not current anymore!) DID change the admin email address in order to make this contact change.

What i really don't understand is how another person could change the admin email address to then change the registrant...

(if i'm understanding this correctly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom