Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Acorn Domains Forum - New Platform Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Martin, the missing pm message and forum posts from emails reduces my productivity as it means I login to find more often than not useless info.

Helping to tackle my online addiction as now I more assume it's useless and little reason to login and check :/

I'm with Martin, the missing pm message and forum posts from emails reduces my productivity as it means I login to find more often than not useless info.

Helping to tackle my online addiction as now I more assume it's useless and little reason to login and check :/
Yes very true really needs to be added back...

Better to ignore the idiots who can't get a pm right, than annoy everyone else who can, Shirley?

You PM me saying that Admin is as good looking as a baboons bottom thats been spanked by Mrs Spanky at a spanking party, and has as much energy and effort for the forum as an asthmatic ant carrying some very heavy shopping.

Rather than logging into the forum, I just click 'reply' and admin gets to see what you said, and indeed what I put in reply..... Could be embarrassing.

Also, there could be sensitive data being passed. If Admin really wanted to see this, its all stored in the database anyway.

I can see the understanding behind it, but would like to see it on for thread replies. PM not so much, but threads wouldn't cause any issues, would it? Considering the replies would be on the board anyway?

I have thread reply alerts turned off anyway, tbh. I just scan the new posts list regularly.

You could set the replyto email address to something invalid such as "noreply@acorn" - deliberately missing the domain extension?

martin and skinner, I am taking your comments under consideration, nothing is cast in stone yet, just trialing the impact. Note how even with just 2 people commenting on this that you both sought the content from different things (pms and threads), its an indication of how we all use sites differently and an ideal scenario for one is not ideal for another. So far it seems the sessions count has increased 10%. Site metrics can affect ranking which will affect userbase growth. If you use a smartphone or tablet and dont use tapatalk then things will be better for you very soon. You will be able to click the link in your email notification and go straight to an easiy readable PM or thread no matter what device you are on. We are working hard on the new Acorn site and it will be going live Easter weekend. As pointed out by spiderspider I do get replies to PM notifications by mistake, sometimes they contain private negotiation details. This is not desirable for you and I do not look at pms in the database. We can all make this mistake at times and losing PM replies into the ether is so easily avoided by removing the content from an email notification. Not saying it wont come back but just explaining the thinking. I'm really excited about the new site platform and hope you like it.

Just my 2p's worth, but it annoys me when I get a pointless notification message, "your ticket has been updated click here" and so on. I may be old school, but I like emails to contain something useful then I can decide whether I need to re-visit the site and look further, but to be interrupted to read a "PM Sent" reply is a pain.

Just my 2p's worth, but it annoys me when I get a pointless notification message, "your ticket has been updated click here" and so on. I may be old school, but I like emails to contain something useful then I can decide whether I need to re-visit the site and look further, but to be interrupted to read a "PM Sent" reply is a pain.

I don't agree that a notification is useless e.g. I only knew you replied here this morning because I had an email notification telling me so.

Ah, but you had no idea whether I'd posted anything useful until you re-visited the site, previously you'd have been able to see what I wrote and then decide whether it was something to respond to now / later or just ignore.

To protect a few errant PM replies seems an odd justification to remove the useful part of the notification message (in my opinion)

Couldn't the reply address go to an unmonitored email address with an auto-respond telling them to reply via the forum?

PM content is one thing, thread content is another, I was talking about thread content notifications. Removing them increases site engagement. If I read these replies in my email I'd not have visited the site. Now I am here I see some other threads I am interested in...

Clearly you can argue it both ways, hence the trial, testing is the only real way to know if it increases or decreases overall site engagement :)

You mentioned time on site/sessions are increasing. Whats he bounce rate like ?

Since the change, If I'm busy, and I see a notice on my email screen, I open it, scan and close. Does that count as a bounce ?

I'm more concerned about PMs, the email archive is useful for tracking old info down.

Very similar bounce rate, although it's early days and I would say we don't yet have a statistically significant sample size, but it's a good point and I will be checking bounce rate as well when we review.

+1 for inclusion of content of post in thread notification via email

.. That is all... :)

Do you guys actually check for notifications from stuff on here?

I'm quite surprised tbh

Nothing that interesting happening here that can't wait for a routine visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom