Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Acorn Domains Forum - New Platform Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Acorners,

Following previous discussions it is clear that the majority (who understand such things) would wish to see Acorn Domains forum operate on XenForo (XF).

For those who don't know and from what I do know (without being expert in the area) is that Vbulletin as a forum platform went somewhat downhill after the earlier and now very outdated versions. I believe the best vbulletin developers left and started or moved to Xenforo which is a better platform for today and the future. AD is currently on a stable but very old version of vbulletin that would be hard to sustain in the long term and certainly would hold us back. With that in mind, I've kept it unchanged for a few months whilst I get caught up with how this forum is used, the domain industry in 2015 and the forum scripts involved/available.

I am writing this post to advise you of my plan to move AD to XenForo in Jan/Feb 2016. I have agreed for this work to be done by our very own AdamH who has thoroughly impressed me with his breadth of expertise in these areas which I have seen first hand after purchasing a Forum from him which operates on Xenforo. He has handled many vbulletin > XF migrations so I can think of noone better for this job at AD and at the same we also keep it within the family!

So please use this thread to make comments on what you want to see stay the same, what new features you might like to see and what can be removed (not built into the new site). Feel free to have a poke around some of the unused parts of AD and spell it out for me. I have some ideas of my own but I want and need your feedback too.

Thanks,
Steve

Good idea and hope it goes well; AdamH has a wealth of knowledge and sure he'll do a cracking job.

imho having used both quite alot I don't actually rate that xenforo - its bit over hyped as some sort of holy grail solution - can someone tell me what the main practical advantage it has over say vbulletin. Admin I think your wasting time and money at the moment making a platform change.

Thanks.

Its a good idea. But beware domainers don't like change they want everything to be like 1990

1990 was newfangled. I preferred things as they were in the late 70's :p
On a serious note I think it's a good thing for the admins to change platform. Looking forward to the new look.

Its a good idea. But beware domainers don't like change they want everything to be like 1990

That'll be me then :lol: I'm a dinosaur who doesn't like some things changing too much, simply because I get used to things how they were/are, and the new forum wont make much of a difference to me, you just type in a box and click submit, same as on this one.

Ohhh Shiny stuff ;).....in all seriousness myself and Steve have outlined the importance of not going full ret**d on shiny new things with a community like this, keeping it basic and keeping everything as easy as possible for those that do not like change.

With that in mind there won't be a completely new look and feel, just a more polished, slightly modernised version of whats already here on my own style framework. As a fan of vbulletin 3 from the old days myself I have a good idea of the creature comforts many of you will be attached to but obviously as with any major change we wont be able to please everyone.

If there is apart of the site you use religiously please do not assume we've taken note, stick it in this thread even if you think its a tiny, insignificant aspect that only you like.

Like I said above, initially the goal will be to migrate with as little culture shock as humanly possible with similar basic/minimal design as it currently has, which we can build upon and improve upon as people adjust.

If there is apart of the site you use religiously please do not assume we've taken note, stick it in this thread even if you think its a tiny, insignificant aspect that only you like.

Just one request...

Quick Links >> Today's posts

I don't trawl through the forums, so as long as this link remains, I'll be happy :)

Just one request...

I don't trawl through the forums, so as long as this link remains, I'll be happy :)

This is why these discussions are always interesting... Mike you can probably save a click with that already. In the main nav hit 'New Posts'

With the new site I want 'latest post' snippets appearing in the right sidebar, similar to how ive got it now on thelureforum Adam.

Please can you make it so when I block Accelerator he is completely blocked, not so I get "Accelerator has replied to this post" posts like now.

Just one request...

You and me both, Today's posts and "new posts" is my life line with forums, cant remember the last time I actually browsed a forum category ;)

Will the new layout be responsive so it doesn't fill the entire screen on the desktop and also useable on a mobile without an app

Will the new layout be responsive so it doesn't fill the entire screen on the desktop and also useable on a mobile without an app

Absolutely. It will be responsive natively but will also have the option to switch to full view (desktop view) for those of you that like to pinch and scroll around full page on a mobile ( god knows why lol )

That's exactly right and one of the main reasons for doing this exercise. It will be responsive and work on mobile without an app but it may still be full width (that's personal choice, I dont understand why anyone doesnt like that for a forum).

What are the plans for paying to post domains for sale, will that be going ahead also or is that not something you're going to pursue now?

That's exactly right and one of the main reasons for doing this exercise. It will be responsive and work on mobile without an app but it may still be full width (that's personal choice, I dont understand why anyone doesnt like that for a forum).

On a wide monitor can be distracting having to read right across the screen having the option to a least pick a layout say the width of BBC news would be a good option in my opinion.
Acorn is in a minority of sites stretching 100% across the full width available at all resolutions

On a wide monitor can be distracting having to read right across the screen having the option to a least pick a layout say the width of BBC news would be a good option in my opinion.
Acorn is in a minority of sites stretching 100% across the full width available at all resolutions

Forums have always gone through "phases" where 100% fluid width is preferred over max fixed width, then it dives visa versa for a little while, also seems to follow certain niches as to what that niches main user preference is.

The biggest problem with fixed width is for low resolution screens the sidebar can be a bit OTT in comparison to the content ( depending on the sidebar size ).

What we can do is either make two identical themes/child theme, one fixed to a nice width of maybe 1150px and the other being completely fluid 100% width or have jquery toggle to switch widths ( which ever gives most flexibility for other site functionality.) Should cater for most peoples tastes that way.

What are the plans for paying to post domains for sale, will that be going ahead also or is that not something you're going to pursue now?

It never was like that Murray, I talked about the memberships giving rights to post domains for sale, i've never proposed paying per domain sale post, I dont like that idea. I know you mentioned donations but I can tell you that they dont happen, there are no donations being made and I dont want to be begging for them. You will always be able to use AD for free. You just have the option of some extra benefits if you are a supporting member.

I created a reduced rate membership option about 2 months back (http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/payments.php), you can be a 'full member' for a fiver a month and it increases mailbox size, removes ads and some other stuff that I will layout clearly next year. I will also elaborate on some of the benefits of Exclusive membership as I think some of this is a bit of a mystery to most :). For example, when Exclusive members post in the exclusive forum an email is auto sent to those members which is not nearly as annoying as you would think and does result in a quick and often intelligent reply! Its private from search engines and the public so gives a little more freedom to talk about matters you dont want to put out into full circulation. Theres also a daily updated list of dropped domains in there.

'New Posts' and 'Mark Forum Read' must remain otherwise I'm leaving :D

I like a forum to fit the entire screen; hate it when they have huge borders, especially content led sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom