Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Complete Planning migration and updating the old good boy Acorn - next week the tests start + more details

So, the issue just repeated itself..

I have sent out a special message to all the Acorn inboxes of our members (containing a special Summit code), and, have to admit, missed the part that the system would also send out email notifications. As the result of reaching 10% bounce-rate >> bang! the smtp servervices we currently buy from postmarkapp are all suspended.

.. good lesson for me and @Admin as well > reminds us that the system send out system notifications of dms sent to users.. we did miss this part..

As you can see, we are currently unable to reach all our users.. even in a case if UK is invaded by Irish :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.10.19.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.10.19.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 45
All your years managing forums, Helmuts, I am very confused as to why you think the forum would not send out email notifications?

So, the issue just repeated itself..

I have sent out a special message to all the Acorn inboxes of our members (containing a special Summit code), and, have to admit, missed the part that the system would also send out email notifications. As the result of reaching 10% bounce-rate >> bang! the smtp servervices we currently buy from postmarkapp are all suspended.

.. good lesson for me and @Admin as well > reminds us that the system send out system notifications of dms sent to users.. we did miss this part..

As you can see, we are currently unable to reach all our users.. even in a case if UK is invaded by Irish :)
Can that not be avoided the second time by recording which emails they bounced from and leave them out of the mailings?

Most mailing setups will process the bounced emails and use them as an instruction not to send anymore in future.

Amazon SES allows you to subscribe to bounce notifications and act on them.

All your years managing forums, Helmuts, I am very confused as to why you think the forum would not send out email notifications?

:) Of course forums do send them out, if the backend allows this.

Have a great evening!! H

Can that not be avoided the second time by recording which emails they bounced from and leave them out of the mailings?

Most mailing setups will process the bounced emails and use them as an instruction not to send anymore in future.

Amazon SES allows you to subscribe to bounce notifications and act on them.

Yes, this would be 100% a great option if we could complete 1 batch from a-z. The issue is: we don't get even close to 1/2 > the account gets suspended.

Anyway, nothing to worry about > after the forum is migrated, and updated > the new smtp server of ours will be connected and this will not be an issue anymore :)

Great Sunday evening!! Helmuts

Anyway, nothing to worry about > after the forum is migrated, and updated > the new smtp server of ours will be connected and this will not be an issue anymore :)

It still can be a problem. A high bounce rate can indicate to ISPs that you are a spammer, resulting in your emails being marked as spam or being blocked entirely irrespective of server used to send emails.

It still can be a problem. A high bounce rate can indicate to ISPs that you are a spammer, resulting in your emails being marked as spam or being blocked entirely irrespective of server used to send emails.

Hi, yes, you are absolutely right. A high bounce rate for Acorn's emails can be a major issue, especially considering the forum's age and the potential for outdated email addresses.

[Update] The tests are finished with the dev (test) site. The updated forum (dev site) with up-to-date Xenforo, theme, and modules is working on php8 without any issues.

Next stage: updating the live forum is planned for the next Tuesday, May 05th.

Good job @MattW!

Also, @Prashanna has set up a Postal smtp server for Acorn (didn't work before on php5.6), and we have switched over from Postmarapp to our SMTP server. Good job!!

Helmuts and @Admin

p.s. I suppose, now it is a good time to share that so far the forum was running on php5.6. Last April/May we attempted updating to php7 and the forum broke down. Currently Matt managed to get the live Acorn forum to work on php7. This is how important this update is.

Good morning, a quick TX. Made me see this process even from another perspective. Tx!

Point taken, and the user DB will be cleansed.

Yes, I have to admit that this is the 1st time I have stumbled upon such a problem :)

Have a great day! Helmuts

p.s. following your advice and couple advices on Reddit and XF forum, yesterday, I removed around 70k accounts from DNF.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom