Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal sweetbox.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the troll and bitter brigade are out in force again. It's a shame really, accelerator was probably only trying to be helpful and actually bring some discussion to the appraisals section. Instead of picking holes in someone's posts maybe try and something constructive?.

What is wrong with this place lately! Completely changed since i first joined, I notice a lot of old members no longer post here too. Cant we all get along lol.

I see the troll and bitter brigade are out in force again. It's a shame really, accelerator was probably only trying to be helpful and actually bring some discussion to the appraisals section. Instead of picking holes in someone's posts maybe try and something constructive?.

You started drinking early today mate?

Looking through your list of domains on KeyphraseDomains and all the domains I have ever seen you post I would guess no, nowhere near.

But saying that, I see ASAP bought DiscountVouchers.tv from you, which although I don't think is worth anywhere near that, knowing who the buyer is has the best chance.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Hi Boxfish

I am not the type of person to be making an effort to give advice unless I had enjoyed some reasonable success, you have to "practice what you preach" and have some real world experience to back up your advice.

I am happy to report that this technique has produced some healthy results for me, not a £10k sale, but a few that are not to be sniffed at. Via PM, if you send me just the amounts of your top 5 sales (no need to mention domains) I would let you know mine, and happy to do the same for any upstanding forum member, providing info is not passed on and treated in confidence. Then you can see that my methods do work in the real world.

Important point is to always be polite, don't scare buyers off. It's an important technique because you're maximising return when you actually encounter the rare event that someone is keen on a domain.

Rgds

Yes, absolutely, being helpful and attempting to get some discussion going.

Rgds

Do you think asking someone for 3 times what you think something is worth is a helpful strategy long term, either personally or for the industry as a whole?

imo it makes you all look worse than 2nd hand car salesmen.

Fair enough there could be a bit of room for negotiation.... but 3x is a bit silly

Yes I do, and it's important. I like to name a price just to get things rolling. That initial price needs to be high so after negotiation I get what I actually wanted. This is my negotiation technique. Clearly it's important to have a good feel for what a domain could really be worth to someone. I guess that is the skill in this kind of technique. You can't be utterly unrealistic. That's also why I stress initial high price quote PLUS polite wording in response to purchase enquiries inviting a counter offer, so you get to see what domain is worth to counterparty.

Rgds

Important point is to always be polite, don't scare buyers off.

But don't you think that is basically the opposite of "try and charge them 3 times the value on the first try" ?

Its taking the piss with pricing.... that in itself is going to scare buyers off.

What is wrong with this place lately! Completely changed since i first joined, I notice a lot of old members no longer post here too. Cant we all get along lol.

I think the problems are that the .uk resale market isn't the goldmine mine it used to be.

Also, whilst I respect Admins decisions over forum structure, I think it could have a structure that is more conducive to general domain and business structure. If it was me I would also think about a rule whereby you can only say nice things or very constructive criticism about domains. Anything else just doesn't achieve anything for anyone.

Rgds

But don't you think that is basically the opposite of "try and charge them 3 times the value on the first try" ?

Its taking the piss with pricing.... that in itself is going to scare buyers off.

No because I'm very careful with wording my response politely to encourage the counter offer.

Also, if they get put off by 3x my target price, then it doesn't matter, because I won't want to sell it to them at what they think it's worth anyway.

Rgds

Also, if they get put off by 3x my target price, then it doesn't matter, because I won't want to sell it to them at what they think it's worth anyway.

That doesn't really make sense though.

I want to pay £8000 for a domain, I email you and say 'give me a price'. You say £30,000 and I walk away laughing thinking wtf is this guy smoking.

When in reality we were so close in valuation that a deal could almost certainly have been done.

I want to pay £8000 for a domain, I email you and say 'give me a price'. You say £30,000 and I walk away laughing thinking wtf is this guy smoking.

When in reality we were so close in valuation that a deal could almost certainly have been done.

No, because I worded my response to invite a counter-offer.

Also, if you're serious about buying a domain, you don't ever walk away full stop. You'll keep offering until you give your absolute best offer. Otherwise, you weren't that serious in the first place.

Rgds

if you're serious about buying a domain, you don't ever walk away full stop. You'll keep offering until you give your absolute best offer. Otherwise, you weren't that serious in the first place

I don't think thats always true! If the seller initially says they want 10k for a domain but is open to a counter offers [yet thinks the domain is worth £1.2k], and my budget was only £1-2k, i personally would never expect the buyer to drop the price by that much so wouldn't waste my time in making a counter offer. So you would have lost a sale!

Last edited:
No, because I worded my response to invite a counter-offer.

Also, if you're serious about buying a domain, you don't ever walk away full stop. You'll keep offering until you give your absolute best offer. Otherwise, you weren't that serious in the first place.

Rgds

This works for some buyers, but not all. If I am planning a new project, I often short list 4 or 5 ideas for domain names and then go out and see what's available. Rarely do I find anything on free reg so then I proceed to contact the registrants. Obviously I have in mind a price I'd be willing to pay and a price I value the domain at. If I asked for a price and someone responded with an offer significantly higher, as an example, 3x higher than what I value the domain at I'd simply move on. I wouldn't counter I'd just cross it off my list. Your model as a whole works for a very specific type of buyer and a very specific type of domain.

I don't think thats always true! If the seller initially says they want 10k for a domain but is open to a counter offers, and my budget was only £1-2k, i personally would never expect the buyer to drop the price by that much so wouldn't waste my time in making a counter offer.

Exactly.

Sometimes you think you're either far too far apart in valuations, and/or the seller is an idiot. So you just walk away from it and go look for another domain.

Perhaps if you've got a true category killer domain you can afford to take the other approach, but if you've never even sold a 5 figure domain then that doesn't really appear to be the case here.

I think you'd be better off being far more realistic in the opening email. Or are you accepting that you're scaring away some people who might have actually bought, with the trade off being you're looking to get some idiot to just give you 3x what you actually wanted without bargaining ?

I stress again that I am very polite in my reply wording an encourage a counter-offer.

I guess I partly have this strategy because what I find annoying is if you ask someone for their sale price, they say "make offer". I think if you own an asset for sale, you should be able to value it. Therefore, I am prepared to give a price, but when I do so, it's always well above what I think I'll sell it for, to give me room in the negotiation.

Over the years I don't feel I've lost that many deals this way, and if they're serious, they'll counter-offer.

Rgds

I also wish to add that in my early domainer days, giving a buyer a very optimistic sale price did work, and it was a very lucky sale and kept me in the game. I know it's harder now, but if you're going to quote a price, I say be optimistic then negotiate.

Rgds

Why are you saying give me a price and not just stating what willing to offer works both ways as both are trying it on them afraid you would have gone higher you afraid you’ll pay more than they want? Personally I’ve found if you think co’uk are expensive overpriced you can add 5 zeros to the com haggle then end up thinking f@@@ it I’ll just register a FTR brand instead ...

Why are you saying give me a price and not just stating what willing to offer works both ways as both are trying it on them afraid you would have gone higher you afraid you’ll pay more than they want? Personally I’ve found if you think co’uk are expensive overpriced you can add 5 zeros to the com haggle then end up thinking f@@@ it I’ll just register a FTR brand instead ...

Sometimes I will offer a price up front, sometimes I'll ask for a price.

If they're actively listing it for sale then I'd expect them to at the very least give me a ball park price. If they weren't trying to sell it then fair enough, they might want me to show my hand first.

Sometimes I will offer a price up front, sometimes I'll ask for a price.

If they're actively listing it for sale then I'd expect them to at the very least give me a ball park price. If they weren't trying to sell it then fair enough, they might want me to show my hand first.
I see where your going wrong its thinking owning domains and good business practise go together? You’ll have more luck kissing toads? Business may use x + y = z in domains that’s often translated too x + y = fuck me someone wants it ? I’m going to buy a yacht, private jet and retire its worth xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx add or subtract x based on TLD cctld :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom