Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Can I have my domain back please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find hitting the "delete" key on those sorts of emails is very effective!

I never delete enquiries no matter how lame they are. It is surprising how often the same person makes contact at a later date, and it can be useful to refer to their old emails.

I never delete enquiries no matter how lame they are. It is surprising how often the same person makes contact at a later date, and it can be useful to refer to their old emails.

I never delete sales offers for the reason you pointed out. Anyone begging to get "their" domain back gets a big DELETE though, since it doesn't matter if they email me once or twenty times, the result will be the same. Nominet's suspend-delete process is just too long and with too many checks and balances for the request to be "acceptable" to me, regardless of whether they might once upon a time have owned a given name or not. Prior ownership conveys NO rights.

I think this angle is taken by some buyers in an attempt to catch you off guard or pull at your sympathies (to get a reduced price).

I just ignore these and don't spend any of my time "researching".

I know of a Registrant who did exactly this. An enquiry came by email and a price was provided in response. The enquirer responded to that with "no thanks". Not much more than a year later the original enquirer contacted the Registrant again with regards to the same domain name. The Registrant replied by simply suggesting they referred to the email response that they had original received after their initial enquiry; and also kindly attached a copy of that correspondance.

I doubt that enquirer expected the Registrant to be so on the ball.

I think some buyers have the thought that domain owners are desperate or need to sell and that they are the only ones that will ever be interested in the domain.

I have encountered many such drawn out tactics, they never seem to understand that I'm in no hurry. ;)

I think some buyers have the thought that domain owners are desperate or need to sell and that they are the only ones that will ever be interested in the domain.

I have encountered many such drawn out tactics, they never seem to understand that I'm in no hurry. ;)

Oh, absolutely!

A lot of buyers have the cause-and-effect the wrong way around. For instance, I've had several people make very low offers on the grounds that "I can see you have a lot of renewal fees to cover" (paraphrased from various more convoluted "logical" pitches to try and get domains on the super-cheap).

But it's precisely BECAUSE I've got a lot of renewal fees to cover (= I have a lot of domains, diversified across hundreds of industries) that I DON'T need to grasp at desperation-level low offers. With thousands of hooks in the river, I know that I'm bound to hook end user fish on a regular basis - even if I can't predict in advance which particular hook will land a catch...

im also finding this on sedo aswell. you counter offer with a price and they come back with i cant afford to pay much. I got stung with this just after xmas and once all payment came through is was a big company so lesson learnt on that one aswell now :)

im also finding this on sedo aswell. you counter offer with a price and they come back with i cant afford to pay much. I got stung with this just after xmas and once all payment came through is was a big company so lesson learnt on that one aswell now :)

That's one downside dealing through Sedo, anonymous. Buyers would appreciate that aspect. For a Seller its a negative.

If buyers contact you directly through a contact form, you can garner more information. One recently said they were are start-up with not much funds, the IP revealed a corporate owned network. Just porkies.

I'm still baffled why anyone pays any attention to who the buyer is, as it's completely irrelevant! Stick to your guns on your asking price, that way you can never get "cheated" - the domain will always sell (when it finally sells) at a price you're happy to receive for it...

Think of it like an art gallery. Probably a good comparison since artworks are unique, and so are domains. If you walk into an art gallery and say "Look, I'm... poor / a student / a startup / a non-profit / just a bit cheap... and I'd like you to sell me that valuable painting you have on the wall at a knock-down price" well, I'd be willing to bet they'll show you the door pronto.

I've sold plenty to people who are nice at very low prices! including one last week!

I've also refused to sell at good prices to rude people.

And Hari, can I have all my domains back at a £10 er that I've forgotten to renew, pretty pleeeaasse! ;)

yesterday

I'm still baffled why anyone pays any attention to who the buyer is, as it's completely irrelevant! Stick to your guns on your asking price, that way you can never get "cheated" - the domain will always sell (when it finally sells) at a price you're happy to receive for it...

Think of it like an art gallery. Probably a good comparison since artworks are unique, and so are domains. If you walk into an art gallery and say "Look, I'm... poor / a student / a startup / a non-profit / just a bit cheap... and I'd like you to sell me that valuable painting you have on the wall at a knock-down price" well, I'd be willing to bet they'll show you the door pronto.

Edwin,

Tell me to buzz off if you want, but have you calculated how long on average you hold a .co.uk domain for in your stock? Some domains will sell quite quickly - others may never budge - so I was just wondering whether you have done any statistics of your stock turnover (pareto analysis kinda stuff) and how this has changed over time, etc? (Just through interest as I am not a reseller.)

Cheers, Luke

Edwin,

Tell me to buzz off if you want, but have you calculated how long on average you hold a .co.uk domain for in your stock? Some domains will sell quite quickly - others may never budge - so I was just wondering whether you have done any statistics of your stock turnover (pareto analysis kinda stuff) and how this has changed over time, etc? (Just through interest as I am not a reseller.)

Cheers, Luke

Not really. I just calculate my renewal costs vs my sales figures, and since the latter always outweighs the former by a large margin I figure "I'm ok" :)

Hi i've been contacted a few times, way before i put any names on Sedo etc.

Does anyone know how they would have got my email address? I thought that this info doesn't get displayed on the whois!?

Cheers,

Flinty

Does anyone know how they would have got my email address? I thought that this info doesn't get displayed on the whois!?

Googling your name in "..." and the word whois brings up the whois of wedding/flowers/london///com and your gmail addy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom