Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Username change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that personal details would be published...

But... I think a "Verified" status has some merit.

I think that domainers by nature are very shrewd and can usually spot fake accounts a mile off.

Bad actors are quickly exposed via the forum as we have seen in the past.
Adopting a verification process won't totally stop that, but it would be another hoop for them to jump through.

From a trading point of view...
A sizable amount of business goes on via this forum. With a high percentage of the threads being sales related.

Of course, if you have been buying and selling on here already, you would know who is who anyway.

But for the newcomers, it could be beneficial to know that the person you are dealing with has been through a verification process.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sam
Surely its a bit draconian forcing people to use their full names on a forum and reveal personal information to verify. This is a forum not a business.
It's rare that I do, but I have to agree with this. It would take about 15 seconds to find out my real name, so not too bothered for my sake. But the principle of it is borked and slightly draconian.

This isn't Nazi Germany, "Papers Please!". It's a forum, and one for discussions.

Additionally, I also agree with Rob about David Thornton. I don't know this person, but having been here since 2019, I've heard his name mentioned on countless occasions — none of them were in good favour.

Surely its a bit draconian forcing people to use their full names on a forum and reveal personal information to verify. This is a forum not a business.

I assume you're not being serious because it must have crossed your mind at the very least that @Helmuts purchased this forum for a sizeable amount of money that is into five figures sterling. The purchase wouldn't have been made just for giggles.

Do you object to forum readers knowing your first name and last name? If so, why?

I think that domainers by nature are very shrewd and can usually spot fake accounts a mile off. Bad actors are quickly exposed via the forum as we have seen in the past.
Adopting a verification process won't totally stop that, but it would be another hoop for them to jump through.

It is impossible to know how many duplicate accounts might currently be being operated on this forum because some of them might seem perfectly legitimate.

Of course, if you have been buying and selling on here already, you would know who is who anyway.

I have no idea who you are I am afraid. What is your full name, if you don't mind posting it here?

But for the newcomers
, it could be beneficial to know that the person you are dealing with has been through a verification process.

New members would likely expect to enjoy the same level of authenticity as longer term serving members would be receiving.

It's rare that I do, but I have to agree with this. It would take about 15 seconds to find out my real name, so not too bothered for my sake. But the principle of it is borked and slightly draconian.

Suggesting that it would take about fifteen seconds for someone you don't and can't know about to find out your real name is absurd. For a start, why would anyone disbelieve that you're called Ben Thomas?

@gimpydog has been member here since August 2004 and to my knowledge has never publically identified who he/she but is quite prepared to accuse me of operating profiles that I did not operate. That's another absurdity because who's to say the @gimpydog profile isn't a duplication of another profile that exists here? It's impossible.

@Pedigree you have said you don't want to put your full name, but you haven't disclosed why. I was prompted this evening to view this past post that you appear to have written where you made a request for someone to disclose his or her identity. Although the profile you are referring to is nothing at all to do with me, were you not asking someone else to meet a standard that you yourself are now not willing to meet? It certainly reads this way.

You and others seem entirely happy to post comments about other real people using their real names but fail to disclose your own when doing so. Aside from being unfair and unprofessional, it makes it impossible to deduce the authenticity and validity of the author or the motives of him or her.

about your username: which one would you prefer? .. invincible is a nice one, of course!

I'll think about it and let you know soon. :)

:) we don't have any plans to force members to use their own names :) This is a fully voluntary personal decision. Though, the idea to have 'Verified' users does sound interesting and will be considered.

Acorn carries on business as usual.

@Pedigree you have said you don't want to put your full name, but you haven't disclosed why. I was prompted this evening to view this past post that you appear to have written where you made a request for someone to disclose his or her identity. Although the profile you are referring to is nothing at all to do with me, were you not asking someone else to meet a standard that you yourself are now not willing to meet? It certainly reads this way.

You and others seem entirely happy to post comments about other real people using their real names but fail to disclose your own when doing so. Aside from being unfair and unprofessional, it makes it impossible to deduce the authenticity and validity of the author or the motives of him or her.

This person's identity was being called into question, most older members believed it was you if I recall. Maybe that's why you remember the post, did it strike a nerve?

My identity has never been questioned as most of the members, who have actively been using the forum for the past few years, know who I am.

I wouldn't post my full name on any forum, happy to use my first name, which appears to be sufficient for @Helmuts and @Sam.

Out of interest, of all the members who aren't using their names, which there appear to be many, why did you only call on 2 members to change theirs. What's the agenda? Surely you've seen my tags and have checked Nominet's list of registrar's and seen my posts on the Nominet community forum?

Do you object to forum readers knowing your first name and last name? If so, why?

I should have made that clearer. I was referring to more sensitive information. Address, DOB, and Inside leg measurements.

But to answer your question.. Not at all, I personally don't object to that. But that's my preference, I can't speak for others.

I have no idea who you are I am afraid. What is your full name, if you don't mind posting it here?

That's because we have not yet done business together.
https://www.colin.uk (My Linkedin) - Feel free to connect

- In my above comments about Verified Statuses. I am merely suggesting in my opinion how such a feature could work. That is... if Admin did ever consider implementing it.

Last edited:
Think verification is a good idea, although not the necessity for real names.

As long as you don't do a twitter and charge 900 odd buck a month :)

And so it begins (again)...

@gimpydog has been member here since August 2004 and to my knowledge has never publically identified who he/she but is quite prepared to accuse me of operating profiles that I did not operate. That's another absurdity because who's to say the @gimpydog profile isn't a duplication of another profile that exists here? It's impossible.

When was that?

Please stop playing your games. You're not at school now. I wont be bullied by you.

True, there have been incidents in the past that were not always handled correctly or in a timely fashion.

On the whole, the Acorn forum has been and will continue to be a safe & friendly environment for topical discussion.
With two active moderators and an active admin, we intend to keep it this way.

Let's keep it productive, fun & light-hearted :)

Feel free to PM me @lazarus or @Sam or @Helmuts if something needs attention.

Last edited:
Pedigree

This person's identity was being called into question, most older members believed it was you if I recall. Maybe that's why you remember the post, did it strike a nerve?

No, I did not remember the post and, no it didn't strike a nerve. I was prompted to look at the post in question which appears to have been made by your forum account almost three years ago. You may locate it on the forum by searching for the word "identity".

My identity has never been questioned as most of the members, who have actively been using the forum for the past few years, know who I am.

You may wish to introduce "to my knowledge" into your above statement because you cannot be expected to know about anything you've not been made aware of. The same rule must also apply to me, in that I could not be expected to know about anything I was not made aware of.

I wouldn't post my full name on any forum, happy to use my first name, which appears to be sufficient for @Helmuts and @Sam.

Why specifically will you not post your full name on this forum after having posted 1507 separate times, over the course of about 4 years? Those two users you cited, and others, might be even more delighted to know your full name.

Out of interest, of all the members who aren't using their names, which there appear to be many, why did you only call on 2 members to change theirs. What's the agenda? Surely you've seen my tags and have checked Nominet's list of registrar's and seen my posts on the Nominet community forum?

You ask what my agenda is. It is to respond to some of the usernames who have posted in this thread, some in direct reply to me. Your username was inserted into the thread within this post and that is why I have responded to you.

You have not explained why you believe I should surely have seen your tags, which you have not identified, or why I should therefore have checked Nominet's list of registrars, or why I should have seen posts on the Nominet Community forum, or how I should have identified such posts as being related to your username on this forum.

I cannot recall ever being made aware of your tags (it appears that in the post I cited, from 2020, made by your username, you mention you are not a tag holder). You have also not explained how I should go about deducing that any tags I may find are connected to your username so, to save further time, I invite you to make me and anyone else reading aware of this and any other pertinent information so we can know who you are.

I am a member of the Nominet Community forum but I have not yet posted there and I afford very little time to reading it.

Lazaus

Not at all, I personally don't object to that. But that's my preference, I can't speak for others.

That's because we have not yet done business together.
https://www.colin.uk - Feel free to connect

- In my above comments about Verified Statuses. I am merely suggesting in my opinion how such a feature should work. That is... if Admin did ever consider implementing it.

Thank you for the invitation to connect, Colin. I have done business with people I have forgotten that I did business with so, from my perspective, I may have encountered you on prior occasions and forgotten.

Gimpydog

And so it begins (again)...

invincible said: ↑
When was that?

Here, in this post made by forum username @gimpydog, there is another link to a post that appears to be dated December 2020 added by you. In that other post it is stated that I had been banned again and makes reference to a name that I do not know. The inference made in @gimpydog's post with the inclusion of the additional link, which @gimpydog could only have located by doing some research, is that @gimpydog believes I operate other profiles. I do not not operate other profiles.

Please stop playing your games. You're not at school now. I wont be bullied by you.

The attempts at bullying here have been by you. Initially in the post made by your username here, and as detailed above. Afterwards in this post made by your username here, where you link to the WHOIS output of a domain name that is an acronym of a school that I once attended and is information you would have had to research to find out since, as far as I am aware, we do not know each other. It is information that has no relevance to this topic but which you have decided to introduce here to try to cause an effect on me, which is a form of bullying.

It is hypocritical for you to suggest you won't be bullied by me, when I am doing nothing of the sort, and when you appear to be the one trying to bully me.

Your username has existed on this forum since 2004, has posted 563 separate times in almost 20 years, and to my knowledge you have never revealed who you are. On that basis you could theoretically be operated by anyone which should devoid you of a lot of credibility.

:) we don't have any plans to force members to use their own names :) This is a fully voluntary personal decision. Though, the idea to have 'Verified' users does sound interesting and will be considered.

Acorn carries on business as usual.

Very much worth exploring. I suggest that if usernames were required to disclose the full name of their operator, those doing the operating might think much more extensively about the quality of what they posted prior to posting it.

@invincible I was going to ignore your post as I am now starting to understand the animosity towards you. However, I will make one last response and then more than likely end up joining Rob by clicking the ignore button.

Firstly I agreed to change my name, and asked @Helmuts a question about the requirements and never heard back.

Now to get to your specific points:

The post you have linked to is for me asking for @mcrick to be banned for being transphobic until their identity had been confirmed. At the time I posted that message, I wasn't a tag holder and my username was different, it was in fact my name as confirmed in wayback:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020100...tation-for-expiring-uk-domains.168493/page-15

So how is this argument holding up for you now???

My username was changed when I acquired my old TAG, again to be more transparent, and I didn't like the fact I had used my name in the first instance as I would never normally by personal choice.

I contacted mods about changing my name again when I changed TAG's but never heard back. Again, I am more than happy to do this but it is out of my control.

No, I did not remember the post and, no it didn't strike a nerve. I was prompted to look at the post in question which appears to have been made by your forum account almost three years ago. You may locate it on the forum by searching for the word "identity".

Convenient that.

You may wish to introduce "to my knowledge" into your above statement because you cannot be expected to know about anything you've not been made aware of. The same rule must also apply to me, in that I could not be expected to know about anything I was not made aware of.

Why because you tell me to? Nobody has privately contacted me asking for me to confirm my identity and nobody has posted the same on this forum.

Why specifically will you not post your full name on this forum after having posted 1507 separate times, over the course of about 4 years? Those two users you cited, and others, might be even more delighted to know your full name.

I used to use my full name as explained above, I have dealt with 80% of the active members on Acorn, so most know who I am.

You ask what my agenda is. It is to respond to some of the usernames who have posted in this thread, some in direct reply to me. Your username was inserted into the thread within this post and that is why I have responded to you.

I guess other members are enjoying that popcorn now.

You have not explained why you believe I should surely have seen your tags, which you have not identified, or why I should therefore have checked Nominet's list of registrars, or why I should have seen posts on the Nominet Community forum, or how I should have identified such posts as being related to your username on this forum.

You clearly read the forum and have been even though you 'self retired' yourself, as you admitted on the live stream. You would have seen my recent catches that are listed for sale and can easily perform a 5 second lookup search to find out who I am: DJ Wood trading as....

I have quickly worked out that you have issues, but you clearly have the capabilities and time to performing a lookup search.

I cannot recall ever being made aware of your tags (it appears that in the post I cited, from 2020, made by your username, you mention you are not a tag holder). You have also not explained how I should go about deducing that any tags I may find are connected to your username so, to save further time, I invite you to make me and anyone else reading aware of this and any other pertinent information so we can know who you are.

I have already explained this, thanks for the invite, as I said most already know who I am. And sadly, I fear the consequence of you coming out of retirement, will deter any new members from joining anytime soon.

I am a member of the Nominet Community forum but I have not yet posted there and I afford very little time to reading it.

Again rather convenient that, and somewhat hard to believe.

I'll think about it and let you know soon. :)

I've got a couple of 4 letter suggestions for you if it helps ;).

When I first joined, I remember being eager to visit this site to read any new posts or replies.

Looking through the archives before I joined, it was even better!

Over the years, the threads that turn negative and argumentative seem to share common denominators.

@invincible I was going to ignore your post as I am now starting to understand the animosity towards you. However, I will make one last response and then more than likely end up joining Rob by clicking the ignore button.

It seems likely that if you had refrained from inserting your username into this thread in the first place, adding absolutely nothing of value when you did so, you might not now be finding it difficult to explain your decision to be deliberatly opaque with regards to your full name.

Firstly I agreed to change my name, and asked @Helmuts a question about the requirements and never heard back.

I could not be expected to know about that because the username change is not prominently displayed.

The post you have linked to is for me asking for @mcrick to be banned for being transphobic until their identity had been confirmed. At the time I posted that message, I wasn't a tag holder and my username was different, it was in fact my name as confirmed in wayback:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020100...tation-for-expiring-uk-domains.168493/page-15

So how is this argument holding up for you now???

Your link appears to have omitted the exact post, made with the previous username, that you are referring to. For your convenience this link appear to explicitly link to the post.

I couldn't reasonably be expected to know that you are "a tag holder" because until today you had not told me you were.

My username was changed when I acquired my old TAG, again to be more transparent, and I didn't like the fact I had used my name in the first instance as I would never normally by personal choice.

I contacted mods about changing my name again when I changed TAG's but never heard back. Again, I am more than happy to do this but it is out of my control.

I accept that some of what you now telling is is beyond your control but it has become unnecessarily laborious and confusing here only to readers only because you have refrained from posting your full name.

Convenient that.

More unfortunate to have to read some of the smears posted by usernames here, but it is in effect of how search and search results function.

Why because you tell me to? Nobody has privately contacted me asking for me to confirm my identity and nobody has posted the same on this forum.

I am not telling you to do anything but I am prepared to explain what I wrote to you again because you appear to have missed it, which is: "You may wish to introduce "to my knowledge" [emphasis added] into your above statement because you cannot be expected to know about anything you've not been made aware of. The same rule must also apply to me, in that I could not be expected to know about anything I was not made aware of."

I used to use my full name as explained above, I have dealt with 80% of the active members on Acorn, so most know who I am.

You say "I have dealt with 80% of the active members on Acorn" is a meaningless statistic in this context and appears to be percentage made up for your convenience only. It is a percentage of an unknown and provided without any evidence. On what basis do you believe those active members would all actually remember who you are? It is entirely plausible for some people to engage in business and then forget they have done business later on.

You clearly read the forum and have been even though you 'self retired' yourself, as you admitted on the live stream. You would have seen my recent catches that are listed for sale and can easily perform a 5 second lookup search to find out who I am: DJ Wood trading as....

I have glanced at it on past occasions but I do not recall reading any posts relating to you until this past Friday. You do not feature in my recollection.

To clarify, "DJ Wood is your actual full name? If so, there has been no need to be obtuse about revealing it. Please do consider being much more careful before you join in with a pile on in a forum thread, as you contributed to with your first post.

I have already explained this, thanks for the invite, as I said most already know who I am.

Please refer to the above where I suggest it is entirely plausible for some to forget. Your assumption that most "already know who I am" is baseless and possibly a fantasy of your own invention.

Again rather convenient that, and somewhat hard to believe.

Not at all and it is very to easy to confirm by checking the post count by my username on that forum. It is at zero because I have not posted there and I do not usually make a habit of logging in without external prompting.

Last edited:
When I first joined, I remember being eager to visit this site to read any new posts or replies.

Looking through the archives before I joined, it was even better!

Over the years, the threads that turn negative and argumentative seem to share common denominators.

Three things. People would think before they posted if their real name was against what they were about to submit. Negativity isn't necessarily a bad thing. Arguments don't have to be unpleasant because we can argue things constructively, particularly if we put our real names against them, because I assume you don't expect everyone to agree all the time.

Suggesting that it would take about fifteen seconds for someone you don't and can't know about to find out your real name is absurd. For a start, why would anyone disbelieve that you're called Ben Thomas?

Well, and I don't know if you've overlooked this, but this is a forum. On the internet. Usually, not always, people use aliases or pseudonyms. I would imagine that validating your profile with your real name on display, is absolutely pointless. You could validate someones ID on the backend, and not display it, and still reap the same benefits by adding a "Validated" label to their profile area on the left there. Pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom