Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Pub / General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks..

Canvassing your opinion...

1. We are a commnunity of peope here with a common interest but beyond that we do get to know each other. It has struck me that the forum does not have a non domain related section as such, something like 'Pub' or 'Cafe' could be a forum section where you can bring up anything not related to domains. Or do you feel liberated enough to use the 'General Board' for this? It's just that most of the threads in there are still connected to domains. I'd be happy to create a new forum section for general chitter chatter and we can call it Pub or something. What do you say?

2. Are there any forum sections that you think can be removed or consolidated?

Cheers
Steve

If there are certain restrictions to keep things civil, like "Strictly no politics, religion" etc. then I could see it working - plenty of other forums have a chit-chat section.

Many of the domain-related threads in the General section look like they're there because they don't quite fit into the more specific forums but, of course, they're still about domains!

I would say do it. In general chat needs to be facilitated on Acorn to make it more interesting. At the moment, the "chat" opportunities are quite limited.

The main issue with a pub or cafe, where anything goes, is you have spammy prats who decide to post silly posts, constantly, to get the sig backlink. When challenged, the aswer is always 'well its in the right area and within the rules'. It then takes the community to jump up and down, before its finally stopped. Its happened here before.

I personally think the forum is doing just fine with the general area, why add more to it, when there is no reason to?

Alot of the other sections can be consolidated. UK domains for sale has 8 sections, where really it could get away with Websites, Premium, Bargain, and make offer.

Domains for rent was last posted in back in August.

Alot of other sub forums I would remove, but would combine this with a change over to XF :)

I think the general chat forum is already an off topic, could maybe get rid of some un used forums or merge them

Thanks all, I will try and see if we can merge a couple of forums, but I really dont want to mess things up that people like and are used to.

Spiderspider.... yes, it will need moderation but let's give it a go. I think we should have a a place for totally off topic chat. Yes, regarding Xenforo we are targeting January for the work to start with a changeover late Jan or Feb. I'll provide updates.

The main issue with a pub or cafe, where anything goes, is you have spammy prats who decide to post silly posts, constantly, to get the sig backlink. When challenged, the answer is always 'well its in the right area and within the rules'. It then takes the community to jump up and down, before its finally stopped. Its happened here before.

Even I didn't think that would happen quite so quickly! However, should anyone want to use my crystal ball, get in touch :)

Yes, regarding Xenforo we are targeting January for the work to start with a changeover late Jan or Feb. I'll provide updates.

Cool. Spotted the Lure link before you made the post and went and had a quick look, and saw that you've got that in XF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom