Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal Woop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had this caught for me, nice short brandable for whatever, thoughts on value?

I notice it was listed as selling for £3K in Sep 2011 here on Domain Journal

There are 4 TM's for this term, but that's not a problem as it could be used for a wide range of things that don't infringe on those.

Last edited:
I really like this one, surely end user would be around low £x,xxx. Good luck matey!

Was after this myself I agree low xxxx on a good day

I think whoop with the h is the more used one

But I still like it, short and perky, would go with what Dave & Asset said in terms of x,xxx

Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking anywhere from lowest x,xxx to mid x,xxx, as you never can be sure with brandables, the previous owner had a £5K bin price listed on Sedo, I've put a £3.5K price on it now and left it open to offers, comes with the .uk also that was caught at the same time.

On the day of the catch, the catcher passed an email enquiry on to me, which was asking the catcher if it was for sale, he told them it was for a client, they then emailed me and offered £500 for it, I left it there.

Surely the spelling is Whoop - maybe you could try and offer it to the owner?

Julian, the spelling doesn't mean anything, it's a brandable word, woop isn't pretending to be whoop, there are variations, both appear to have the same and different meanings, search either word in Twitter for example, both are used a lot, same exacts for each as well.

I was only going by the Oxford dictionary definitions

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Woop-Woop?q=woop

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/whoop?q=whoop

As a potentially brandable word, I was just thinking a name that meant a humorous name for a remote outback town or district might be difficult to brand - also people might get confused when heard out loud with the other spelling too - the old radio test thingy..

Not saying it won't sell or is a not any good btw.

You analyse things too deeply, Julian, and I'm sure any of those who already brand on this word aren't concerned that they might be mistaken for some place outback in Australia :), nor all the people online writing woop to show happiness at something when they write it.

You analyse things too deeply, Julian

Everyone says that, it's been a recurring problem my whole life. I wish I could just take things for what they were more :-?

I envy the way you guys just see a domain, smash it out there and get sales.

Julian, the spelling doesn't mean anything, it's a brandable word, woop isn't pretending to be whoop, there are variations, both appear to have the same and different meanings, search either word in Twitter for example, both are used a lot, same exacts for each as well.

imo the spelling is very important (for this domain and every other one). If say to someone on the phone 'visit whoop dot com' where are they likely to end up.

btw my macbook just auto corrected Woop to Whoop...

Surely the spelling is Whoop - maybe you could try and offer it to the owner?

I looked at the wh**p.co.uk Who-Is earlier, and it didn't click at the time that you own that one :lol:

To a point, I do see the points made about spelling and/or the radio test, but I think the radio test is old hat these days, most things these days are written online, in emails, texts, on tv and other written media, on advertising hoardings, buses and vans etc, so to me it's not that important these days, and Google doesn't do the auto correct thing asking "did you mean" when typing woop, and any loss of traffic is going to be minimal because of radio, and that's even if it was advertised on radio.

Last edited:
Okay so change 'radio test' to 'conversation in a coffee' shop test then :lol:

If its hard for people to spell you're fighting an up hill battle before you even launch.

Monkey said:
Okay so change 'radio test' to 'conversation in a coffee' shop test then :lol:

Ok, I'm sitting in a coffee shop, and my mate says, have a look at this site about whatever product, it's called w**p.co.uk, so I go to w**p.co.uk, job done :)

Alternatively, my mate says, have a look at this site, it's called w**p.co.uk, alright, how do you spell that, with or without a H, without a H he says, end result is I go to w**p.co.uk :)

If people want to find a site, they'll find it, the negligible amount of people who may hear it as a spoken word isn't worth bothering about, and if it's a word with a couple of possible spellings, the person being told the name by their mate on the phone or in person will tell them how it's spelt, but at the end of the day, most people would see the name written as an url somewhere.

Last edited:
It's spelt Whoop.

Big issue with spelling and that surely effects value.

Monkey is right - if you tell people you bought XYZ from wuːp .co.uk they're going to end up at whoop.co.uk. And you had a very bad day.

The only merit I can see of it vs whoop.co.uk is that you're not fighting against a Google definition box and various other dictionary sites to start ranking. Although I'm not sure at what point the define box disappears, maybe the minute someone buys some adwords on it.

Flickr, flattr, pittr pattr,
Zuora, Quora
brandable names
of which a plethora

Why? Once upon a time all were unheard of...

And most of them still are.

Quora is not a brand. If you went out on the street and asked 1000 people at random if they knew what Quora was - they wouldn't. I bet you'd get answers ranging from no idea to burgers for vegetarians.

flattr, pittr pattr - no idea what they are.

Flickr - it launched off the back of Yahoo. And the own flicker.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom