Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK Announced

Well it's now "tomorrow"..... I'm on the edge of my seat, or should I say bed.

It wouldnt suprise me if they go ahead with it. They obviously want to go ahead with direct.uk, so I dont think they would let negative feedback put them off from achieving their goals.

Of course it's going ahead.

Well i Rang Nominet Again

This is what they said

the meeting went on a long time

and they are all in another meeting now

the information will be released as so as they know

the staff dont know yet either

i suggested that then they should give a official time

and release then , as this is pretty bad as no one really knows when the

news is going to be released

This is what they said

the meeting went on a long time

and they are all in another meeting now

the information will be released as so as they know

the staff dont know yet either

i suggested that then they should give a official time

and release then , as this is pretty bad as no one really knows when the

news is going to be released

That's interesting.

Could be just looking at the best way to PR it and keep their jobs.

Yes, either way it would be a long meeting.

If a yes, then what are the next steps and what legal implications might the be.

If a no to .UK domains, then what aspects of the proposition can still be go ahead (eg the security aspects) and how can how do you deliver the news in such a manner as to make it sound like it's not been a complete waste of time.

Either decision would mean looking at the cashflow of the business and the structure of the company. ie. Yes to .UK domains = Shedloads of cash.
No to .UK domains = Smaller pile of cash.

Either decision would mean looking at the cashflow of the business and the structure of the company. ie. Yes to .UK domains = Shedloads of cash.
No to .UK domains = Smaller pile of cash.

They could just put up registrationsto £12 and that would still be the same as releasing .uk if its money they are worried about :).

What happens next?

The .uk Policy Secretariat will now examine the consultation feedback and prepare a summary. This will be considered by the Nominet Board at their meeting on the 26 February and published on the Nominet website.

Having reviewed the feedback, the Board will then consider the best way forward. This may take one of several possible routes to an eventual product, such as a direct.uk product with a different set of features, or a different release process. There is also the possibility that we may decide to seek further stakeholder views or not go ahead with direct.uk at all.

Could be that to save face at this stage they widen the consultation.

They could just put up registrationsto £12 and that would still be the same as releasing .uk.

Yeah, direct.uk doesnt bring anything new or of benefit to anyone. If nominet really need the money, add security to existing uk domains and increase registration costs. 99.9% of UK businesses would be very happy with this outcome.

Got to remember though, even if they announce they are going ahead with it, doesn't mean it is going to happen. Today is just going to announce if the board are going to start a fight with the members or not.

I doubt that ANYONE (outside Nominet, of course - it's pretty much a given that they're drooling for it) would care if direct.uk didn't go ahead. The current system works just fine, and as has already been explained at great length, it's only Nominet's spin machine that's suggesting that direct.uk will free more domains for businesses (whereas we all know that any of value will go long before "small businesses" get a look in)

On the flipside, a whole lot of interest groups will care, and care a great deal, if direct.uk goes ahead. And apart from the lawyers and the registrars, everyone else stands to LOSE in that scenario.

Last edited:
Plenty of registrars would.

Not really, if you're talking numbers rather than volume. Under the current proposal, only the very biggest would "qualify" to supply direct.uk with the others shut out.

Not really, if you're talking numbers rather than volume. Under the current proposal, only the very biggest would "qualify" to supply direct.uk with the others shut out.

That's new to me, how did you reach that conclusion ?

lets' just face it - domain.uk is better than domain.co.uk

why fight it, we need to move with the times...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom