Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Website Review Too much flash..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have recently set up the website www.BensonHedges.co.uk but seem to have trouble optimising it to be search engine friendly, maybe due to 'flash' reasons.

But I would like opinions as to what people think of the site as it is before I start changing things.

All comments appreciated.

I like the look of the site.

For search purposes i like to get some real text - a few sentences at least - on the homepage.

Hi

Well I don't see any reason why any of your website needs to be in flash?

The HTML is awful, wrong elements being used all over the place, and is not semantic.
Good SEO starts with well formed semantic HTML

There is also very little textual content on the pages.

Good points are it looks pretty good, if not a little dated.

Cheers.

Why is a hash sign appearing as a folder name? That could possibly be affecting indexing.

Code:
http://www.bensonhedges.co.uk/#/flowering-shrubs/4540774347

Rgds

Why dont you ask 'Cornwall Domain Agency' to sort your SEO out as they built the site and sell SEO as one of their services, along with building websites.

IMO looking at their own website they are not qualified to offer either service.

Why dont you ask 'Cornwall Domain Agency' to sort your SEO out as they built the site and sell SEO as one of their services, along with building websites.

IMO looking at their own website they are not qualified to offer either service.

He is the 'Cornwall Domain Agency' the website doesn't look to bad design wise but as previously mentioned is full of html code errors.

ok:D

Well if he is Cornwall Domain agency, and he advertises on his home page that one of his services is SEO, then why is he asking for SEO advice on a forum.

It annoys me that people advertise SEO services and Web build services when it is obvious by looking at their homepage that they know very little about either.

There is a little more to SEO than reading some google SEO documentation.
Knowing how to form a proper HTML document is one of the skills that help to get good SEO, though you would be amazed how many SEO 'experts' don't know the first thing about front end development, which IMO is essential if you are going to offer SEO services.

While we're putting the boot in (!) The sig should say Business Name Ideas not Business Name Idea's - those pesky apostrophes!!!

Last edited:
ok:D

Well if he is Cornwall Domain agency, and he advertises on his home page that one of his services is SEO, then why is he asking for SEO advice on a forum.

It annoys me that people advertise SEO services and Web build services when it is obvious by looking at their homepage that they know very little about either.

There is a little more to SEO than reading some google SEO documentation.
Knowing how to form a proper HTML document is one of the skills that help to get good SEO, though you would be amazed how many SEO 'experts' don't know the first thing about front end development, which IMO is essential if you are going to offer SEO services.

Quoted for truth ;)

Thats the strange thing! None of it actually needs to be flash, I don't see anything flash animated. :eek:

Looks ok,,,, most of the code etc is pretty bad missing tags etc
To many keywords, Keyword relevancy is poor, Description too long, Cant see any point too the flash at all …

Last edited:
Looks ok,,,, most of the code etc is pretty bad missing tags etc
To many keywords, Keyword relevancy is poor, Description too long, Cant see any point too the flash at all …

Well actually google doesn't even really bother with meta keywords anymore, as they were abused so much by SEO hacks, so that wouldn't really have any bearing on the SEO, the description length is fine it is good to get some keywords in there, the title tag should also be used to put a few keywords in so that could be longer something like 'Great Deals on hedges and plants at Benson Hedges', google gives the title more relevance than it used to.

The bottom line with SEO is dont abuse the tools you have, and make the HTML document easier to read by using semantic valid HTML.

Every web page should be logical and easy to navigate with no styling, just the plain HTML, try turning off the CSS on the Benson Hedges page, the page now makes no sense, now go to any of the minisites in my sig, and do the same, the page still makes perfect sense and is still usable.

Well actually google doesn't even really bother with meta keywords anymore, as they were abused so much by SEO hacks, so that wouldn't really have any bearing on the SEO, the description length is fine it is good to get some keywords in there, the title tag should also be used to put a few keywords in so that could be longer something like 'Great Deals on hedges and plants at Benson Hedges', google gives the title more relevance than it used to.

The bottom line with SEO is dont abuse the tools you have, and make the HTML document easier to read by using semantic valid HTML.

Every web page should be logical and easy to navigate with no styling, just the plain HTML, try turning off the CSS on the Benson Hedges page, the page now makes no sense, now go to any of the minisites in my sig, and do the same, the page still makes perfect sense and is still usable.

I would say they are still relevant... I know seo will argue both ways
Meta keywords is still indexed by Ask and Yahoo!(say they don't but still do) and many others .
I know Googlers have said their search engine ignores the tag but you may want to steer clear of overloading it with unrelated keywords nonetheless. Nobody has the exact answer on how the search engines work otherwise we would all be top of google....?

Last edited:
I would say they are still relevant...
Meta keywords is still indexed by Ask and Yahoo!.

I know Googlers have said their search engine ignores the tag but you may want to steer clear of overloading it with unrelated keywords nonetheless.
Meta description can be used in conjunction with robots to guide search engines in what to show searchers
Meta robots allows you to provide page-specific directives to search engines on how to handle your links (follow or nofollow), your copy (index, noindex, archive, noarchive), and major directory descriptions for your site (noodp and noydir).

Whilst those words (most of which you have now removed)are not your own and are copied from www.seo-theory.com :wink:, I agree that keywords should not be ommited (I did not suggest they should be, just that they shouldn't negatively effect SEO) as who knows if/when google will start using the tag again.

When creating html document it is a good idea to include all elements that can help with SEO regardless of what Google, yahoo...etc are currently using for their indexing, as this can change at anytime.

What you just did though , copying and pasting blog info (from 2008 I might add) is not really a great idea, search engine algorithms are always changing so information like this is very quickly out of date.

Last edited:
Whilst those words (most of which you have now removed)are not your own and are copied from www.seo-theory.com :wink:, I agree that keywords should not be ommited (I did not suggest they should be, just that they shouldn't negatively effect SEO) as who knows if/when google will start using the tag again.

When creating html document it is a good idea to include all elements that can help with SEO regardless of what Google, yahoo...etc are currently using for their indexing, as this can change at anytime.

What you just did though , copying and pasting blog info (from 2008 I might add) is not really a great idea, search engine algorithms are always changing so information like this is very quickly out of date.

Somtimes I cannot arsed with typing it all out...and find it easier to copy and paste :) then edit ...But they have put them on you should make sure they are 100% otherwise what’s the point. And for the sake of 5 minutes work does it matter I’ll aways use them others can can choose there own methods . Excuse the edit had done so before you posted but you must have hit reply before that time

Last edited:
Seen my previous post and could see it may confuse the poster “description to long” keywords etc to clarify keywords 385 characters 25 words some would argue only use 20 words and 250, 300, 350 characters but it’s a personal choice? relevancy is 56%?,

Description 117 characters (150 160 is more common) 87% relevancy (Hence to long) I would remove none relevant or add to content till both are 100% you can increase/decrease to the accepted levels after but can see this Could see this could confuse poster apologies if it did

Also keywords should be in postion 1 to score the highest all other things being equal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom