Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal Streetdata.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I posted a while back that I had purchased the domain streetdata.co.uk.

I have now developed into a mini site.

It is not quite finished yet as the correct images are not all on the right pages and a couple of the pages are still not complete with setail

It's quite basic but should do the job.

Any Feedback would be great

Many Thanks

Gavin Rookyard

First of all if I look at it for more than 3mins I think i might go blind, white text on a black background is not a good idea.

Secondly the code is a mess, CSS mixed in with tables mixed in with pointless <div>'s?

And thirdly after browsing it for 2.59 minutes I still have no idea of what service it is you are offering?

Sorry for being so harsh, but it's true.

Gavin, I have to agree with the above comments.

I read your first post a while ago, but this doesn't translate into your site - you say its "customised to meet my every need" ?? not sure what that means. Something more descriptive like:

Powerful Database of Street Information in the UK

Whatever, try showing it to a man/woman on the street see what they think it is. Also, "What we can offer" I clicked a banner to a virtual word site - that left me totally and utterly confused.

Use a screen shot of the data or something. Needs work - good luck with it :D

Thanks for your comments.

As long as it views ok in internet explorer and firefox im not really to worried about coding to be honest.

My other websites probably have loads of coding issues but they don't stop the orders from and money from coming in.

I would imagine that 80% of the people who browse the internet would not have a clue as to weather a website was coded properley or not.

If I was paying someone hundreds of pounds to build a website for me, it might concern me but as I do it myself I cannot expect much else.

I have not a clue with css or html coding.

If a website is coded properley does it mean you will get more visitors and orders ?

Here is another one of my websites that I have built, the coding is probably dreadful but the site gets loads of traffic and I do very well with orders.

littlegems-jewellery.co.uk

Thanks kindly for your comments though they are all appreciated.

Gav

Hi Ratboy

I think I did mention in the post that it was not completed yet.

I have not finished the images.

I also have not finished the what we can offer page or even the database formats.

Thanks again

Gav

If a website is coded properley does it mean you will get more visitors and orders ?

Probably, as your site will be ranked better if it is coded well.

What I love about the appraisals here is that they are good, honest appraisals - whether the requestor thinks is relevant or not. Anything less would make the appraisal far less useful!

As long as it views ok in internet explorer and firefox im not really to worried about coding to be honest.

My other websites probably have loads of coding issues but they don't stop the orders from and money from coming in.

I would imagine that 80% of the people who browse the internet would not have a clue as to weather a website was coded properley or not.

Thats a dangerous stance to take, you have to be very careful these days with not only how your site is coded, but how accessible it is to the disabled.

All it will take is one complaint from someone who is visually impaired who finds your colour scheme to be difficult, or that finds that your site won't respond to their screen reader, or the text is too small, ad almost infinitum & you're in deep doo doos.

It is a little known fact that it is illegal to produce a website that "discriminates" against the disabled & if you're found to be in breach of the DDA you can be taken to court & fined to death.

It also covers the language that you use on the pages to describe what the pages are about.

Personally I think it's crazy - a website is visual so it's clearly never going to be ideal to some sections of the population, but it's better to at least try & comply.

You can test your site for compatability with these free automated testers recommended by the RNIB: Accessibility testing tools, but they don't check everything.

Unfortunately this is the attitude of a lot of webmasters, you may not care now, but in the future you might as browser versions change, your websites will probably break, the code is not SEO friendly, you have a closing h1 tag without an opening one?

What about visually impaired people? do you cater for them? a screen reader wouldn't know where to start.

Google reads you html document, if it doesn't understand it, your ranking will be lower, so yes.

Hi Guys

i really appreciate all your feedback and I think you have go me totally wrong.

My fatherinlaw is actuall partially blind and has a guide dog himself.

What I am trying to say is that I am not a coder.

I use a build your own website package with tables ect.

I have no control over the coding and would not have a clue to where to start.

It would be like a web designer trying to rebuild a car engine or something like that.

Im not really sure what you guys are getting at. Because I don't understand coding and not web designer should these build your own websites not be available to use.

I enjoy building websites with dyos and sorry that you guys have so many issues with them.

I think in future I will just keep quiet.

Regards

Gav

Hi Ratboy

Thanks for your encouraging comments and link.

As mentioned before my Jewellery Website does very well as I attend lots of big events around the country each year and have have lots of returning customers.

I must be honest all these coding issues have baffled me and I have checked a free tool that picks up html errors ect.

Im still not quite sure how they are all arising when I am using a build your own website where you have no control over the coding ect.

I have contacted the owners of the site regarding these issues and will hopefully get a reply to sort out any of these issues.

Is their a tool or anything worth purchasing that would iron out all the coding issues ?

Thanks

Gav

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom