Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

So, why are people still punting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the posts don't ring true to me. I would like to see a list to judge the quality of the names that have been let go, and for anyone who has a 1999 .co.uk and is not renewing at this time, when uncertainty still exists, just wouldn't make sense.
So for me nothing has changed, it's quality not quantity, but quality co.uk names are still a very good investment.

The original poster was questioning the amounts spent on DomainLore, that is sums spent greater than registration fee. Myself I am still renewing just not spending thousands (or hundreds) of any one .co.uk. Under the current cloud of .uk it's just to risky to spend such sums per domain.

Some of the posts don't ring true to me. I would like to see a list to judge the quality of the names that have been let go, and for anyone who has a 1999 .co.uk and is not renewing at this time, when uncertainty still exists, just wouldn't make sense.
So for me nothing has changed, it's quality not quantity, but quality co.uk names are still a very good investment.

Don't get me wrong, we are not dropping quality names and never would. For us though, we have all but stopped bringing in new stock and the bar at what we call a good name has been raised.

Definitely not doom and gloom from us, just taking eggs out of the one basket we were holding.

Especially as you have extra risk mate of not knowing if you will be allowed to even by .uk's by being based in NZ.

I've reduced my holdings down from 750 to 325 since .uk was announced and will drop to about 30. I'm starting to develop a few on .com's now. Got a decent sized new project launching in the next week or so.

I'm not just having a go at Nominet's board here, Minister's and Government don't seem to understand the basics. They don't react when something as major as .uk is proposed (regardless of the rights and wrongs of it), instead leaving the decision down to 6 unelected people, a board involved in deception. What could go wrong....?

If that was a .com then the whole US Government would be all over it wanting to know what was going on.

So even if they ditch .uk, I'm still not going to be convinced to start re-investing again to be honest.

If you are dropping your co.uk holding from750 to 30 you must have gotten something very very wrong.
Sorry.

Are you sure this is fact ?
You sold a name for £75 this week which wasn't up for long, it wasn't a good name so surely you would list 1999 names in the fixed price section before letting them go.

Well I'll pull out a couple of my 1999/2000 regs just to keep you happy. I love the way you question my judgement about what domains to offer here at Acorn and what my motivation was for each sale

Guess you just know everything..

I see domain i'm dropping on DL or on here all the time.

In fact there's people in this thread reg'ing my drops - and yet i'm still a pleb :confused:

what does it all mean...

reg'ing my drops - and yet i'm still a pleb :confused:

what does it all mean...

There's idiots who think they know it all Julian - and the only business model is their one - They don't have the Brain-Cells to work to multiple scenarios .Multitasking must be a nightmare

I've cancelled around 30 catches scheduled for this month because of an older .org.uk, or the risk someone will register the .org.uk before the drop date.

If you are dropping your co.uk holding from750 to 30 you must have gotten something very very wrong.
Sorry.

To some extent you are right mate, can't argue with that in hindsight. They were all registered with an eye on building a site on rather than resale. So of course not all Nominet, some is Google and just the reality of how long a site takes to build out..

However if they were .com's I think I would have renewed the majority of them.

The DN game will spin off into two spheres. Anything.Anything

And Example.com/.co.uk/.uk/ we are used to.

Dotcom will remain king. Even if you own Quick.Loans your daddy is still going to be the person who owns Loans.com etc.

Reason being is .com is universally recognised but fantastically universally meaningless in the eyes of general public. I'd love to see a random on the street survey to gauge how many people even know what .com is short for or the 'co' in .co.uk. Even if they know they do not care what it means beyond it means INTERNET. So when you have Example.com or say Mortgages.com you simply own 'Mortgages' end of and that can not be topped in relation to Mortgages regardless of how many fancy nTLD's appear. So in this sense .uk will have value for the same reasons.

So the future means focusing on your core and best domains and covering all the angles withing that select group, not in my view having a sprawling mostly incoherent portfolio and refusing to admit you don't have a clue where the winners are. The job know requires one to make these decisions. Has to be done.

So assuming this is right that's the best way to strategize. Change and evolution is inevitable and will always be painful for some and beneficial to others.

It's a bit like 10 years ago when anyone could get credit easier than scratching their own backside. Today's generation do not have such a facility. That isn't fair either but it is what is.

Key question is with all the proposed changes can money be made, value added as a domainer trading in such a way more online businesses are started via a vibrant trading system. And the answer is yes of course this will still be possible.

My main conclusion from all this upheaval, is time to go full time, change brings opportunity.

Last edited:
To some extent you are right mate, can't argue with that in hindsight. They were all registered with an eye on building a site on rather than resale. So of course not all Nominet, some is Google and just the reality of how long a site takes to build out..

However if they were .com's I think I would have renewed the majority of them.

You might aswell put the 720 names you are dropping up on here and see if any sell.

I think good .co.uk or .org.uk's developed, in serp's still have value.

Traffic = Value

For example if I own genericwidget,co,uk site that's been running for years, nicely embedded in google serps, I've branded it etc, its doing well, I'm happy with it -

do I really care some squatter company reg. genericwidget.uk or generic.widget?

If its a good site I always maintain people will return/bookmark it etc, and anyone who knows anything about developing, its takes a a lot of time, money and effort to create something decent - you can't buy that overnight with a new reg.

For example if I own genericwidget,co,uk site that's been running for years, nicely embedded in google serps, I've branded it etc, its doing well, I'm happy with it -

do I really care some squatter company reg. genericwidget.uk or generic.widget?

If it ranks at the same level/better than your site and it's been developed to a better standard or made deliberately similar to yours, then yes, you will care. It's exactly the same reason why people want both the .com and .co.uk of a name now.

Most people will search for the website name and click the first result, most consumers don't rely on bookmarking anymore.

This question was raised before nominet announced it's new proposals.
we are in a different ball game and the answers should be different than yesterday morning.
Things will gradually get back to near normal, loads of damage has been done but the wounds will heal.

can you show me some examples where company-A owned .co.uk and company-B owns .com and company B have dev'd and seo'd a site to death to compete against the .co.uk - and they exist side by side in serp results - can't be that many..?

If it ranks at the same level/better than your site and it's been developed to a better standard or made deliberately similar to yours, then yes, you will care. It's exactly the same reason why people want both the .com and .co.uk of a name now.

Most people will search for the website name and click the first result, most consumers don't rely on bookmarking anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom