Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo Parking - Change Nameservers or Forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change nameservers is the preferred method. If there are links out there for example beyond your root domain e.g. "www.acorndomains.co.uk/index.html" it will still resolve correctly. If you forward to the domain this wont work.

The upside of forwarding is being able to set your own title, keywords, etc - not sure how much difference this makes on SE indexing.

Hi,

Most of our domains are forwarded - I don't have any statistical facts to show this is better but we like to be able to insert relevant keywords for each domain (very time consuming but you plod through them as you buy them) and whilst forwarded domains are not rated that highly by Google we have always felt that some extra traffic is generated through search engines.

There is also a problem with domains using sedo nameservers if your domain portfolio is not for sale. We have noticed that google listings for some of our domains that were using sedo nameservers and that were not for sale still included sedo's sale text '1.5 million domains for sale etc, etc'. One of our domains had a page 2 listing on google for quite a searched term i.e. ..... jobs and yet many people searching for .... jobs would have disregarded our domain because of the sales pitch being shown above our domain on google. If your main aim is to sell it's not a problem but I've seen many domains owned by members of this forum who aren't selling but have got this same sedo sales pitch on their domains at google. We did raise it with sedo (apparently we're not the only ones to raise the issue) but they say there's nothing the tech team can do at the moment (although they are looking into it) so much traffic is definitely being lost on domains that are not for sale.

It would be very interesting to hear from any member of this forum who has statistical evidence to show which one of changing nameservers or url forwarding is the better.

Kind regards,

Nigel

I forward my domains. I'm not really sure why but I find this seems to give me better traffic.

When I used their name servers I also had that problem with it saying '1.5 million domains for sale etc, etc' in the description. I changed one particular name to forwarding from name servers, changed the description to something more relevant and enticing and the traffic increased fourfold from google. Nothing to do with SEO as the position was the same, just the fact that the description made the user click.

I have asked the name servers vs parking question to sedo direct in terms of SEO and, I think, they said name servers but as I remember I don't think they gave a reason. I'll try and dig out the e-mail....

When you use domain forwarding to sedo, where are you setting the description and keywords?

Are you using the framed forwarding options (which allow meta information) in 123reg?

If you just use standard web forwarding, I don't see how descriptions and keywords can come into it. What's the story?

Thanks

accelerator

using 123-reg framed forwarding options

My domains are hosted with ukreg so yes, I just use framed forwarding as per their control panel. You can edit the desription etc where as when I used sedo's nameservers it appeared that I had no control over the description or title and I got the description of something like "1.5 million domains for sale". This wasn't really that helpful when expecting people to click on your link in the search engine listings.

I think i was also told by Sedo that nameserver forwarding is picked up more by SE than URL forwarding, i don't know the reason. It would be interesting to know if anyone has tested the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom