Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Quick Update on Vegas

Helmuts

AcornDomains.co.uk
★★★★★
Reaction score
Quick Update on Vegas,

My dream for Domain Summit is to host 3-4 global events (Europe, USA, Asia, and Africa).

While I’m still working on the European Domain Summit, I’m keeping an eye on other locations.

As entrepreneurs, our minds are always tuned to new opportunities. Of course, most "shiny new things" should be ignored, but once in a blue moon, unique opportunities arise. This is the case with the United States, which has always hosted the best independent B2B events (not run by ICANN, professional membership organizations, or registries) in our industry.

I saw an opportunity to enter the U.S. market based on the following:
  • The traditional third week of January was fully available – a rare case and important because the industry lacks enough events in January.
  • NamesCon, the current leader and best independent event currently, has been sold (not the perfect term, but the idea is the same = change of ownership). Yes, the event’s leadership team remains the same, but these are employees, not owners. Owners are the ones who reevaluate the direction and necessity of various products (in this case, MSP Global and CloudFest are the main focus, while NamesCon is smaller). As I understand, they are in the state of total replanning.
  • Domainer Expo has a great founder, but with the dates set for December 5-6 and no venue confirmed (a huge red flag), I had the impression the event might not happen.
  • The only other event is the "pay-to-play" ICA annual members' event, which has great attendees, but it’s a members-only club, not yet a full convention. "Yet" = it could evolve into an events company if there aren’t strong open U.S. events.

I agreed on a test partnership with @Daniel from Monetize.info, and we decided to host a test event in Vegas during the upcoming third week of January.

We’ve found a few potentially interested sponsors (event sponsorships, when used strategically, yield great results). We’ve identified two excellent potential venues, plus a perfect location for the first party (with a potential sponsor for this as well). Additionally, we’ve started arranging speakers.

So far, so good (except for the fact that we only have three months to prepare).

The first challenge was when Ish Milly confirmed that Domainer Expo will indeed take place, and understandably, he wasn’t pleased (to put it politely) about Domain Summit USA being so close to his event.

Secondly, it seemed that the ICA viewed this as a potentially hostile move. Many of their members expressed they wouldn’t stay in Vegas for two weeks, choosing to attend only the ICA meeting, with some also concerned about this overlap.

I’m not someone who enjoys making enemies, so I apologized to pre-arranged sponsors, thanked those in the industry who offered advice, and decided to call off the January event.

This is not a question of daring to go for the stars - we/I have no issues with this. There is no need to make enemies and create possible problems for our sponsors with whom we have great relationships. I am a believer that good friends help each other rather than tear each other down.

This is a brief recap of what happened.

.. I love quotes and listening to the experiences of doers and achievers.. And, failing is often mentioned as an opportunity to try again. I am sure you all know the feeling.

Yes, the January plan is canceled.

Though, Vegas, as the U.S. convention capital is on the map (still considering other major locations). The dates will be different. Back to the planing mode.

Last time I was in Vegas I was bored after 3 days. I couldn't imagine staying there for 2 weeks.

Yes, you are 100% correct on this. I actually received this response quite often. One speaker even mentioned they would fly in for the Summit, then leave, and return 3-4 days later for the ICA meeting.

Behavior like this from attendees doesn’t help event organizers.

Or maybe the organizer should look for a venue that people actually want to go to....?

Is this about Vegas? We Europeans see it as gambling and strip club paradise, and it isn't a fully complete view. Las Vegas is the convention capital in the U.S.

> for 1 year + I was looking for alternatives for Vegas.. and during this process realized that Vegas is the #1 place to organize a convention, if you wish it to grow as large as possible:
1) convention capital of the U.S
2) cheap flights from anywhere and great connectivity
3) Americans that attend events are also familiar with Vegas (new places do scare off many)
4) lots of hotels with price-range and levels of comfort that satisfy any

Domain Summit USA is for Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Latin America and nearby islands > their view on Vegas is different from ours.

Or maybe the organizer should look for a venue that people actually want to go to....?

.. this raises interesting thoughts.. :) tx

.. many UK domainers and dn industry pros didn't want to come to London (the reasons are many, always will be many and this isn't about these). Should have I cancelled the Domain Summit this year because of this? No :) Of course, not.

.. with industry conventions the process is relativelly simple: establish an event, find a venue (can be changed), announce dates, run the convention, and repeat :) .. and a convention will grow (while in growth stage) till it reaches its maturity.

And history has proof that Vegas works for the DN industry. Why to doubt this?

.. yes, many thoughts..

It's not about any specific location. I was just pointing out that if attendees have been contacting you telling you they don't want to go to a particular place, dismissing their 'behavior' as being awkward (remember YOU told me that) doesn't sound like a good business model. But hey, you do you. I choose to listen to my customers and try to accommodate them whereas you prefer to assume they're in the wrong. It's just a language barrier thing yet again - not really worth getting into. As you pointed out 'Domain Summit USA is for Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Latin America and nearby islands' so not relevant to us.

.. I was just pointing out that if attendees have been contacting you telling you they don't want to go to a particular place, dismissing their 'behavior' as being awkward (remember YOU told me that) doesn't sound like a good business model.

Yes, I do agree to this 1000%

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

☆ Premium Listings

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom