Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal ParisHotels.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't actually own this name (I wish), but I'm curious to know what you guys think it's worth.

In the keyword gen, it gets 200,000 monthly exacts, and it has a pretty decent EPC, so it's probably between 5 and 6 figures, right?

But the thing is, when you search for 'Paris Hotels' in Google, the first page fills up with 'local business results' and a little Google maps box, and you have to scroll down just to see the first lot of proper organic results.

So my question is, does this kind of thing reduce the value of the domain?

One thing I will say is that the Google Local Business Results definitely reduce the value of owning the ParisHotels.co.uk domain, because the value in the domain is helping you to appear top in the natural search results, and you can now only appear half way down the page. Other search engines are available though I guess!

Rgds

I can't see the name commanding a 6 figure sum. Ever.
(unless it was earning a 5 figure sum annually)

I think it all depends on the amount of direct typeins it is receiving. Although the search term may be high, if it only gets 50 typeins a month I honestly think the owner would be very lucky to receive a high 4 figure sum for it.

but i'm no expert.

I just took a look at this domain. It is parked at sedo. So the person that owns this is a domainer.

I would like to think they have already tested the water by redirecting the name to a hotel affiliate site displaying Paris hotels but have opted to choose the paid "click" over a confirmed booking fee.

Not surprising considering the conversion rate for a hotel site is .05-2.0% max. Although the gains in revenue are much better when affiliating, you need the traffic. So my guess is this domain does not have a lot of direct typeins.

google........
I don't see this as an issue. The person looking for a hotel in Paris does not want to see one hotel at a time (as local search displays). They want to see the whole range and prices in one go in one site.

I see the google "local business" more frequently while doing a miltitude of searches. It does not distract from the fact that everyone wants to be there, right under the local listings.

I think its worth a more -**

Its a nice big niche domain with high google exacts and would make about £20 pounds per booking as an affiliate site or £45 as a travel agents site.

With content and links it should top the search "paris hotels" with ease which would give you loads of traffic.

Its also highly brandable and could easily become the Uk's top site for booking Parishotels.co.uk and with quality content for all the hotels links should come naturally giving better google results for the hotel pages.

I'm not an expert either but I like it:)

The google local results dont do much for me really - I have a site at number 1 in the serps where local results are shown and the local results dont effect it much to be honest.

** not 6 figures as a sale I doubt but it could make a nice mid sized business for someone.

Last edited:
crazihos, on your sites that rank at #1, what proportion of the 'exacts' in the Google keyword tool actually end up coming through on that keyword.

i.e. if your site ranks for 'example widget' and in the Google keyword tool, 'example widget' has 5000 exact searches, how much traffic could you expect to pull in on that keyword?

About 3% to 5% in my experience.

crazihos, on your sites that rank at #1, what proportion of the 'exacts' in the Google keyword tool actually end up coming through on that keyword.

i.e. if your site ranks for 'example widget' and in the Google keyword tool, 'example widget' has 5000 exact searches, how much traffic could you expect to pull in on that keyword?

Its hard to say in this case as the site in question is not a big keyword term unfortuantely - its a local service.

On the local results issue I can say though that I was ranking in second place and following that I managed to also get the site into the local results takg 3 of the local results spots on each search and the traffic increase was only small as a percentage.

I really dont think people pay too much attention to the local results unless they are searching for a local product like a plumber.

So in the case of Parishotels.co.uk its unlikey that someone from the UK would find what they are looking in the local searches.

To try and answer your original question though:

I remember reading a post about click through rates on no 1 spot on google, but cant find the exact one. I've found this on a4u about click through rates though that may be useful.

I'll keep looking

Cheers

Russ

In the keyword gen, it gets 200,000 monthly exacts, and it has a pretty decent EPC, so it's probably between 5 and 6 figures, right?

The keywords in the domain might get that, but the domain does not get it.

Big difference, and I am noticing more and more people hold big sway towards one single data set.

Hi Rob,

When I buy a big keyword domain I normally do some ppc over a number of days to see if its actually getting the number of searches the keyword tool says and its normally pretty close.

But I guess I also take into account the industry and if I think it'll make money too (and if its something i'm interested in).

Dont you think number of google searches is a good way to value a domain then - would be very interested in your opinion?

Cheers

Russ

When I buy a big keyword domain I normally do some ppc over a number of days to see if its actually getting the number of searches the keyword tool says and its normally pretty close.

But I guess I also take into account the industry and if I think it'll make money too (and if its something i'm interested in).

PPC testing is a good method of finding out more about the market - I have heard of quite a few people buy / develop 'high exact search' names and then find no conversions!

Dont you think number of google searches is a good way to value a domain then - would be very interested in your opinion?

I think its data that can be used to help, but a massive dose of common sense comes into play.

People draw too many straight lines, be it Parking Rev / Google / Other Data Sources etc!

It depends alot on the domain and your model for it to which method works best, for specific affiliate development with no desire to exit in a great way then an exact match low competition niche will work wonders and Google tool is quite useful. Use the same model for a LLL.co.uk and its obviously irrelevant when it comes to values.

The keywords in the domain might get that, but the domain does not get it.

Big difference

Rob is right. If the domain was getting high direct typeins it would not be parked at sedo.

I think it is a great name too, but JimmyDomain is valuing the name on its own as that's all we have because it is parked.

I cannot see anyone paying 5 figures on that name as it stands. If it was developed and earning 4 figures I would value it at 5 figures and if it was earning 5 figures I would value it at 6 figures, but as it stands, it is parked at sedo so I still think it gets relatively few typins. If I had the money I would like the name, but I would not be offering a 5 figure sum for it. At most it would be a mid figure 4 sum.

Lets say it is developed and gets to number one and gets 3% of the (supposed) 200,000 searches. = 6000

Lets say it transfers 1% of these into bookings (60 bookings per month). I have a few hotel sites and they all produce approx the same revenue. £5 per night commision. I would think the majority of UK bookers will be going for a long weekend (3 nights) = £15 commision.

60 x £15 = £900 per month

So my guestimate is if the site was fully developed and ranked no1 on google, it would be pulling in £11K a year. Thats a very nice revenue but still no where near a 6 figure valuation.

And this is if it gets to No1. That's a very big IF. If it manages to get to the bottom of page one, it would probably be lucky to return £2K a year.

Rob, I see what your saying,

Most of my domains are bought with development into something bigger in mind so it could be considered that the single key phrase is less important but I still buy them as I think they add value in the long run.

I bought laptopcomputers /co/uk for example which I think should be quite good but there would be better converting sales phrase domains that I could have paid less for, they wouldnt be as memorable though.

We also bought a big mobile domain recently but that has the sales word deals in the title so should convert visitors better. Hopefully the top domain with a good site on it should help us negotiate better deals with retailers from the outset.

I've never really thought of the things I do consider before but I guess the keyword tool is just start of it.

Scooter,

I know what your saying about the domain but i'd expect it to get a higher CTR than 3% to be honest. As a punter if I saw parishotels.co.uk (with a good title tag) at the top of the serps that would be the first thing i'd click as its exactly what I searched for and it sounds like it would have exactly what I wanted.

Also on top of the 200,000k domain keyword searches you have to consider that Paris has 500 hotels for you to write unique fresh content about so your long tail traffic could be huge.

Many would argue that you dont need that domain to write about the 500 hotels but my thought process is that if you have the top domain name for that city both PR and link building (on both your homepage and inner pages) should be easier and link building may happen organicly snowballing the sites potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom