Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet chief tells domainers to grow up - Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
Lesley, you sell them the names not me.... :D

Unless they license people in the secondary market how do I / we stop these people buying domains.

I expect the tone of the meeting was different though and The register doing their dodgy reporting again. I imagine the people in the room got a different impression of her speech.

Nominet seems neither to care let alone monitor or police who their 'clients' are. Rather just bash and publicly send out sweeping statements that do no good to the domaining community.

Who needs to "grow up" ? if it were Lesley's own business then I'm sure there'd be a more stringent user compliance code of conduct and/or terms of business (in order to protect both reputation and revenue) that were rigorously managed.

Hi All

I was in the room, Lesley was very measured in what she had to say, but a couple of points stuck home.

1. In the wider world some other registries are being much more heavily controlled by their governments e.g. China, Russia and through ICANN looking for closer regulation of the internet, suggestion that this could give western governments reason/excuse for exercising additional controls themselves.

2. Closer to home Nominet get lobbied by all sorts of stake holders including civil servants who are acting on behalf of politicians who have had complaints etc. have to justify their self regulation model.

3. She was quite clear and what she said about abuse to here staff and that was acurately reported.

Best Regards

JohnP

I just can't imagine why someone would give Nominet staff abuse, I have no doubt what she says is true but I just can't imagine what goes on in someones head to abuse Nominet staff.

For all the faults I have had with Nominet, I have never spoken to more professional or helpful people on the phone.

I just can't imagine why someone would give Nominet staff abuse, I have no doubt what she says is true but I just can't imagine what goes on in someones head to abuse Nominet staff.

For all the faults I have had with Nominet, I have never spoken to more professional or helpful people on the phone.
Couldn't agree more.

i third that

This appears to be political. We are told:

"UK domain investors need to show 'greater maturity' or risk governments riding roughshod over their business."...

"If I hear complaints about people being threatening or abusive [to Nominet staff] on the phone, it's people from this industry,"

For a start why would the government give a damn if some of Nominet's customers are rude to their customer service staff? Clearly they wouldn't.

So why would Cowley try and tarnish the domaining industry when clearly the majority of people in that industry have had no axe to grind with Nominet? This looks like a fabled enemy is being created (It's the communists! No it's the terrorists! No it's the domainers!) to justify tightening up control and transfer of power from stakeholders to senior management. Nominet and the goverment playing good cop/ bad cop vilifying the domainer boogieman to argue for changes which consolidate power.

The government wants tighter control over the Internet to censor certain things and for its big business friends and the bloated legal/ TM industry, again representing big business. That is the agenda. The Internet started out a free space. In the last ten years, each year has seen more and more regulation and control from governments, and more and more territory grabbing (reverse domain hijacking, huge expansion in anti-defamation laws etc) from lawyers acting on behalf of big business. So the Internet is no longer a free space, it is dominated by the power structure that dominates the real world, and that power structure wants greater control still, hence the Digital Economy Bill and similar legislation passed in parallel in all the developed countries. Either Nominet carries out the agenda or the goverment will try to cut them out.

So we have this pressure from the government on Nominet to tighten up control. This pressure took the form of scathing criticism last year when Nominet had to defend their own existence and the threat of government stepping in was brought up, even though there were no problems! The threat to Nominet just seemed to appear out of the blue. Why? It was the power structure cracking the whip.

The primary concern of senior management at Nominet, just like senior management in every organisation, is their own careers. So clearly they will do whatever the government wants to hang onto them. So then, in light of the criticism and threat of being sidelined posed by the government, Nominet senior management need to (1) be seen to be addressing any shortcomings highlighted by the government and (2) have a boogie man to blame so that any criticism can be deflected away from the boardroom.

Nominet's customers can be divided into 3 groups: domainers, registrars and individual registrants. They can't pick on individual registrants as there are so many, if that group were the subject of criticism it would make Nominet's own procedures look at fault. They don't want to pick on registrars because that's where the majority of their income comes from and we saw how the new voting system that was recently introduced favoured the big registrars. So we are left with the domainers, a seemingly easy target since they are fragmented, and have already been vilified by the legal/ TM community to make it easier for them to hijack domains for their corporate clients.

Last edited:
Yes Jason I was also a little concerned about this report and must assume that it is accurate and not taken out of context (perhaps some of those who attended can comment on this). I'm sure that the vast majority of acorn members are polite and courteous when speaking to nominet staff even when nominet standards have fallen short (like when they wrongly released a number of domains and then asked for them back). It's fairly certain that any disputes, or perhaps abuse, have come from a domain owner bearing in mind that all Nominet's customers are domain owners (even if thro' a registrar). There must also be a huge number of nominet customers that own more than one domain - so is it really portfolio owners that are directing abuse? If not then I don't believe it was appropriate to tell domainers to grow up. This forum largely polices itself these days - nobody likes to see blatant trademarks advertised or members being abusive and I would say that maturity has already been attained by most uk domain portfolio holders. So really the uk domaining industry deserved some praise.

What concerns me is that nominet themselves have still not brought in safeguards to protect domain owners. Perhaps people have lost domains. I raised serious concerns, in writing, with nominet a long time ago about the inadequacies in their new online cancellation system and the fact that domains can be cancelled from an account without the domain owner ever being informed. No email, no warning - if an account were hacked into, or there was an internal nominet security breach, a domain portfolio, or part of it, could be released into the market without the owner ever being aware and it would be a terrible mess to sort out. It might be months or years until the loss of valuable domains came to light. No commercial organisation would operate like this. They would have acted on the warning and implemented safer operating procedures.

grow up bitching FFS !!

:D

I like the idea of creating some sort of UK domain owners trade association. Not only could it protect the interests of UK domainers but it could promote / educate the benefits of co.uk domains to British business. This in turn could impact positively on domain name prices by increasing demand and by creating a legitimate trade body that operated in a fair and transparent way.

The topic of conversation in the bar last night was how much Lesley is paid. She did mention earlier in the day that salaries are listed on the nominet website, I've just checked and she earned about 230k last year! It also says nominet has about 30 millions in the bank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The topic of conversation in the bar last night was how much Lesley is paid. She did mention earlier in the day that salaries are listed on the nominet website, I've just checked and she earned about 230k last year! It also says nominet has about 30 millions in the bank!

How much someone is paid has nothing to do with the validity of their opinions. I would also suggest that idle "bar talk" after several drinks is very different from "forum talk", where the words you write are recorded and indexed forever by the search engines. Not really appropriate in the latter context.

Edwin, as its a non profit group it is public knowledge. I for one had no idea the chief exec of nominet would earn so much, and I'm sure 90% of domainers would be interested to find that out.

I think 230k is pretty fair.

There are the odd exceptions out there in the Chief Exec land, but most who earn such sums tend to be pretty good at their jobs, and 230k to run nominet is about right surely.

Its good to know what people earn, it would be foolish for people not to know, now that I know that is lol

Ive answered a few of the nominet questionaires now, so they know I love everyone there, but I can see how some people do call up and mouth off. You see them on here, posting this that and the other, only to find out in the end that they were wrong, when the experienced professional domainers explain the error of their ways. You can only imagine the amount of rubbish they must speak to nominet.

And the people who try it on, trying to sell domains from companies in administration, trying to establish identities fraudulently, like any customer role they must take some abuse.

I know its picky, but it drives me mad that the voting address for nominets designated voting company is a .com, oh, and tescos rasberry trifles on offer today, not a sign of a rasberry lol, delicious though :D Oh and Tescos vegetarian hot dogs, no meat, and taste like hotdogs, amazing, sorry the sugar from the trifle going to my head :)

I don't understand the sweeping criticism. All tarred with the same brush again.

What I don't understand is why Kevin Murphy (the reporter who attended the conference itself) would write an anti-domainer article for El Reg when he is actually from: http://domainincite.com/about/

incite v. to provoke, encourage, stimulate.
domainincite n. because all the good domains were taken.

ahhh that would explain it then....

However why didn't he write a positive article like this he did a week earlier:
http://domainincite.com/cctlds-under-the-hammer-at-uk-domainer-conference/

The problem I have with The Register is that over the years the articles seem more and more to be written in an increasingly arrogant, cocky and know-it-all fashion. In its efforts to bring us raw new facts, the writers just can't help making every article look like a CV for The Washington Post! I don't even bother to visit their site anymore, except when directed through threads like this one!

The problem I have with The Register is that over the years the articles seem more and more to be written in an increasingly arrogant, cocky and know-it-all fashion. In its efforts to bring us raw new facts, the writers just can't help making every article look like a CV for The Washington Post! I don't even bother to visit their site anymore, except when directed through threads like this one!
They've long been trying to imitate the sensational and satirical wittiness of 'Private Eye' but haven't yet managed to pull it off. It's unlikely they ever will. I read the 'organ' regularly but gave up on 'El Reg' years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom