Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal My latest acquisition... searchengine.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant! If you see that little value in such generics, then please email me your list of generic domains with prices - you may find a ready buyer!

There are many "truly generic" names hindered by unexepected Trade Marks, and others that are just too risky to have unless you are a TM holder.

This situation is set to get worse as larger companies move their marketing from traditional media to online activities, for which generic domains are highly desirable.

In the season of good will shall we all agree to be very nice to each other... ?

Seeking an appraisal when there is no intention to sell seems a touch vainglorious to me but self preening is sometimes a booster we all need in this mad business.

I post very few contributions, partly because I'm too busy but also because threads often 'degenerate'. I was just looking for an insight from a well established domain player (Edwin) with lots more experience than most on this forum. I think I'll go back to 'lurking' for a while...or pm posts.

Merry Christmas to you all.

It's certainly a nice domain (There are no TM issues), wouldn't say one of your best though, one of your 3 and 4 letter pairs I like much better. ;-)

Low-Mid £xxxx reseller, anything above End User.

I can't see that much value in this domain - just what would it be used for? You seem to have a lot of more valuable ones in your collection that are more useful.

Overture with extension isn't the be all and end all. Good seo can make you thousands a month. Ask those who promoted crazy frog or any other product and managed to keep their domains in the top five in various engines, they made tens of thousands of pounds either in a month or in months.

I don't like the word generic either, is it an american term? I understand the definiton but somehow it doesn't fit. The word you want in the UK is keyword, that's all that matters, keywords. And as the term 'search engine' goes and it already coming with 70,000 searches it's got the possibility of making the owner with the right seo, thousands of pounds a month and that's the beginning. You can make thousands with just 10000 searches beforehand.

The possibilities are endless, Edwin I'm sure, knows what he's doing. It won't be easy getting atop 330,000,000 or 119 million results but it can be done. Quite rightly, when buying a domain name for a product or field, you want the most popularity with the least amount to jump in the engines so as search engine goes, it's quite a task but doable.

For ideas on domain possibilities just enter the keyword and with the plural and you'll get an idea at how valuable 70,000 searches before you even start to promote can earn you thousands. And if a buyer has the same idea...

Its a great domain, nice purchase Edwin...

Regards,

Laura

Its a great name. I did read the previous owner was having trouble making money from it. In the right hands of someone who knows how to SEO, it would be a goldmine. Which im sure Edwin would have no problems in doing so.

There are loads of keyword domains that sound great. As where talking about Edwin then say hell.co.uk as an example. Its a great name but has no value for marketing any product where as this one does.. I'd take this one over hell any day of the week.

The same with any OV ext domain whats the point in having a high OV score if the keyword is pants for marketing anything of value.

You're right, I'm not always 100% comfortable with "generic" either, but "keyword" alone doesn't really cover it either. For instance,

juiceorange.co.uk - contains exactly the keywords "orange" and "juice", but I don't think any one of us would argue it's very valuable. "orangejuice.co.uk" on the other hand clearly has value, it's a keyword domain and a descriptive generic as well.

Perhaps "descriptive generic" rather than simply "generic" would be a better expression. What is needed is a concept that embraces all the following:-
- Common, every-day expression that anyone would understand
- Cxpression that people in that niche would think of naturally, without prompting
- Real word or phrase rather than a coined expression (crazyfrog.co.uk contains "crazy" and "frog", which are keywords, but it's NOT a generic)

There is also a push towards the term "direct navigation" but that's focused a little too much on how to get to the domain for my taste, since the average person may not really understand the concept of a typein.

The value of a domain will vary according to its intended use and user.
The highest payer may be of a different category depending on the domain.
e.g.
searchengine.co.uk

A relevant corporate would like that as a 'brand' generic e.g. house.co.uk owned by BG.

A trafficker would like it for its typein value

A software concept builder would like it for its easy to rememberness

A ppc advertiser would like it for its respectability in the niche field when it shows up in the ad listings

A directory builder would like that as a 'lead' site for its various sub-portals.

I would like it because it's cool

Different domains will attract different types of buyers, its not a one size fits all type of market.

-aqls-

Brilliant name and lots of possibilities to monetise. Just type search into UK OVT keyword assistant for some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom