Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal localbuilder.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
one of those strong- back of a white van - type of names is my thoughts.

it's a popular registered term - any thoughts on what it might pull ?

Hi I agree one of the better localxxxxx.co.uks that were recently dropping. Here's my suggestion for how you could proceed:

Sell the domain to a domainer than has experience of directory-type sites

OR

Sell to an end-user (i.e. a local smallish builder - with 1 to 10 staff).

If you have the time/resources:

install a wordpress site/blog - to get it indexed and 'start the google clock'.

You could set it up as a quick 5 page site.

In terms of selling to an end user you will need to show the potential of the domain.

Value: as a domain £50 to £300 and obviously more to an end-user and more again developed.

My personal opinion is that you should set it up as a directory site for a steady income.

....hope the above helps. Message me if you want more advice...

Have a look at ilance.com, if you buy there software you can run a mini reverse auction site like myhammer.co.uk

Get the template skimmed for about £150 and for less than £500 you have a very nice site and name that will do what it says on the tin.

Great advice Greywing , excellent looking software , i've never spotted that before , although i have looked for auction software in the past.

I think it is a great reg and has some real potential to.

Look like you have been given some great advice already.

I infact like it so much I have just been routing around for one for my next project as I like building directories ect.

I have just regged LocalGuide.org.uk so will be doing something simalar with this.

Great reg and got my thinking.

Good luck with the domain

Regards

Gav

Thanks for your replies - I am seriously considering developing one or two of my domains - but, I would be starting from the absolutley no experience level.

I am only just begining to get active in domain sales instead of just replying to enquiries as I have done in the past. So at the moment I'm actually struggling to get my head around domain pricing, I have become more aware of just how many of my approximately 1200 domains fit the label of "business descriptives" rather than specific "product descriptives" which seem to be the main stay of the membership here.

I've actually experimented with letting a couple of dozen of my less (in my opnion) valuable domains drop - with the result that approximately 50% seem to be immediately re-registered most by recognised domain professionals - this has moved me back into my hoarding mode, ie, easier to just renew than think about value.

In my opinion 'business descriptives' might require more work to monetize. For instance it is generally easier to start a product based website and apply affiliate links.

Business descriptives might require more upfront work too before they reach breakeven but will become more valuable though (see bubble-cycle below) as they are still terms that are searched for. This increase in value will happen as awareness of the value of a domain (in tandem with a good ranking website) permeates into business sectors - the price can only rise. This might still take some time to happen though. You have to remember that the internet is still very new. I have provided a link to a graph that shows the lifecycle of an asset bubble:

http://housepricecrash.co.uk/graphs-bubble-lifecycle.php

Think about where you think domains (as assets) are currently at.

As businesses (i.e. end-users) become more aware prices will rise. :p

I can see that you have had the name for 7 years, has there been much interest in it? Any offers?

I can see that you have had the name for 7 years, has there been much interest in it? Any offers?

Hi, Most of my domains average out at about 7 years. I can't recall ever receiving an enquiry for this one but, then I only ever had the occasional written request for .co.uk anyway. most of my domains were held under my non-trading company name of VISUALEYE until very recently. Then Nominet kept coming at me earlier this year disputing registrant details on several of my .co.uks (so somebody was taking an active interest) and this was one of those. I don't recall having responded to a uk request before becoming active here at Acorn about 10 months ago.

I don't read too much into non-requests for .co.uks due to the requirement to actively seek out the registrants email address (assuming its not listed for sale) - unlike the gTLDs where I still get on average about 2 unsolicited requests a month.

here endith the long-answer. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom