Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google now part of Alphabet, using ABC.xyz

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cynics here on my side are saying it's all done so Google can be used for all them "don't be evil" things, and stuff like military contracts, eavesdropping, etc, can all be done on Alphabet, which sounds far too nice a company to do anything naughty.

I think a slightly more likely scenario is that Larry and Sergei have become bored with what is basically a glorified search engine with cat videos, and want to focus their attention full time on the "far out" cool stuff, steal a few headlines back from "real life iron man" Elon Musk, and other "visionaries". Google isn't the vehicle to do that, but some of the other companies in the "Alphabet Group" may well be just the ticket.

Basically, there seem to be plenty of billionaires who, having grown up on a diet of science fiction, are getting tired of waiting for "the future" to happen and are actively working to bring it about more quickly. Witness the number of private entities competing to run space programs for instance (Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin, SpaceX etc.)
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/03/03/billionaires-investing-space-projects-grows/

I think a slightly more likely scenario is that Larry and Sergei have become bored with what is basically a glorified search engine with cat videos, and want to focus their attention full time on the "far out" cool stuff, steal a few headlines back from "real life iron man" Elon Musk, and other "visionaries". Google isn't the vehicle to do that, but some of the other companies in the "Alphabet Group" may well be just the ticket.

Basically, there seem to be plenty of billionaires who, having grown up on a diet of science fiction, are getting tired of waiting for "the future" to happen and are actively working to bring it about more quickly. Witness the number of private entities competing to run space programs for instance (Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin, SpaceX etc.)
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/03/03/billionaires-investing-space-projects-grows/

your view would be my take on it, but thought i'd get in early with the conspiracy theory standpoint :)

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was a pretty succinct explanation of it... :D

Let's say I'm a dad of like, let's say, 3 kids. And they've all got some pretty solid skills with some instruments. You've got Johnny on the guitar, Samantha on the drums, and Lisa slapping up the bass. So they get the idea of making a little band, and what do you know? It's pretty damn good. Everyone's playing together well and they've got a good harmony going on. They decide to call their little band Google and I start inviting over some neighborhood parents to the living room to see them play once a week.

Everything is going well and I say, fuck it, time for another kid. So I just go out and buy another kid or something because that's how the world works in this story. So little Brian joins the family and guess what? He's fucking good at the guitar too. He's got a bit of a different sound but it works with the band and all of the parents who come over that week are impressed.

I say, fuck it, time for another kid and go back to the kid store and get another one. So little Girthantheklops (fuck you, it's my kid. I'll name it what I want.) She doesn't really like instruments that much, but she likes slapping together some shit and she's into being in the band. So we get her some wood blocks and she meshes pretty well in the band with some well-timed clickity-clacks here and there. Parents that week are stil impressed, but a little unsure if wood blocks is starting to get a bit away from the rest of the band. But they're still digging it and Girthantheklops really is doing some good work on the clackers.

Fuck it, kid store, get new kid. Fucking name it BootsShoes. Welcome to the family, BootShoes. Well he doesn't like any instruments. Can't even keep a beat. But he wants in the band somehow. Turns out BootShoes is super into culinary crafts. So parents come over that week and we've got Johnny on guitar, Samantha on drums, Lisa slapping bass, and Brian on rhythm guitar just rocking away. Girthantheklops is hitting all the right marks but it still seems a bit off in this kind of band. And then we've got BootsShoes up in front towards the left wearing an apron and chopping fucking onions.

Parents are getting a bit confused here. And their attention is being divided. On one hand you've got a kickass band rocking out, and then you've got a kid chopping onions and tomatoes and shit like a fucking pro. The band is better than ever, but the parents can't help but to feel like something is a bit off here and they're wondering if they're going to keep coming.

So I buy a nice, new big house at the house store and move the whole family in. I keep the original band in the living room during our odd weekly showings that for some reason other parents are actually consistently coming to and move Brian into the den where he gets his own, new band with a different sound up and running. I put Girthantheklops in the dining room and set her up with a nice smooth sounding orchestra. I put BootsShoes into the fucking kitchen, because Jesus Christ kid, you can't be in a band. You chop fucking onions. That's not an instrument, that's fucking breakfast. And only one part of it. But goddamn can you cut onions, son. I'm proud of you.

So now the parents just walk to whatever room they're most interested in and it looks like we've got some nice organization and direction under one roof. Just had to create a little distance between all of these talented (onions?! Fuck man.) kids.

Well it's easy to be cynical about the new gtlds, but here we have a new holding company which owns Google, and what extension does it choose? Not .com! Let's face it, they could easily afford to buy any .com for sale with their cash pile, even the most optimistic domain investor wouldn't ask more than their annual coffee budget.
This is for an 'obscure' holding company, not a major branding project. Buying a premium domain would be a waste of money. But it would make more sense that they use their own extensions instead.

So I won't be surprised if they ditch the .xyz later on.

Remember what people were saying when prominent companies started using .mobi, or when Amazon, Overstock etc were using .co domains ? A new paradigm indeed.

I think a slightly more likely scenario is that Larry and Sergei have become bored with what is basically a glorified search engine with cat videos, and want to focus their attention full time on the "far out" cool stuff, steal a few headlines back from "real life iron man" Elon Musk, and other "visionaries". Google isn't the vehicle to do that, but some of the other companies in the "Alphabet Group" may well be just the ticket

This sounds a reasonable scenario.

This is for an 'obscure' holding company, not a major branding project. Buying a premium domain would be a waste of money. But it would make more sense that they use their own extensions instead.

So I won't be surprised if they ditch the .xyz later on.

Remember what people were saying when prominent companies started using .mobi, or when Amazon, Overstock etc were using .co domains ? A new paradigm indeed.

Obscure holding company? You know you can no longer hold shares in Google, only Alphabet? This obscure holding company has a market cap of over $400 billion, or around 1.5% of S&P500, with a cash pile of over $60 billion.

More annoying is that idiot from the xyz registry bigging up this retarded extension to the media as the death of dot com

Google is ramming medical science forward at a crazy pace.

I was surprised by how many medical fields google are pushing forward, so Ironman Musk maybe pushing tech which will come and go and like many before him will be a byline but google will be changing and saving lives.

I did have a list of them but how I can't remember :/ lots of research into Diabetes (inc the famous contact lens), and diagnostic tools. This is off the top of my head so may not be precise... there is a wristband type device which detects special drugs, they could give you a pill which contains a drug which is detectable somehow and it binds with cancer/parkinsons/etc. When the drug travels around your blood supply, the wrist device detects it in your blood and reads out the results. This device can detect half dozen things so far.

One of my fav were a spoon/fork set which had inertia dampening effects so they people with illness like alzeimers of parkinsons or other tremor/shake causing illnesses could hold a spoon without throwing food everywhere.

Most of this is done under Google X, I do agree they want to go further out into crazy town though. They have money and want to make their mark.

God there's a lot of people out there who're willing to jump on a bandwagon!

More likely scenario: .xyz is the new .info :p

Thats just offensive, .info can work nice like someone were looking at contact.info and .info can work well for train.info and such, however I can't think of many such uses .xyz.

Its more like the new .int where there are only 166 worth having but theres only 1 you can think of, in .int its wipo.int with .xyz its abc.xyz :p

God there's a lot of people out there who're willing to jump on a bandwagon!

With all this free publicity .xyz is here to stay and domainers better get used to it.

With all this free publicity .xyz is here to stay and domainers better get used to it.

It doesn't mean they have to line the pockets of the registrar though because, ultimately, that is the only entity that will make a profit from these.

It doesn't mean they have to line the pockets of the registrar though because, ultimately, that is the only entity that will make a profit from these.

Not everyone buys them to make a profit or think like domainers

The positive side of xyz is it's easy recall.

xyz has always been used to denote, some thing, or something like, I can't remember what.
Whether it will gain traction to any large extent is unlikely given the number of alternatives.

It's great to see Nominet using the .uk, more significant than being given credit for.

Last edited:
In a way the new .UK is sort of our new GTLD if that makes sense.

There's far more local businesses than global businesses in the world and that fact its so sort should make it a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom