Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Service Forum Scraping Wayback Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've recently acquired a domain name which used to be a forum for about 10 years and had lots of quality content.

I've previously heard it's possible to scrape the way back archive of the content and publish onto a new forum software. There is 100,000's of pages we need to record URLS/Meta details and content.

Does anyone know of such a service or can recommend anything else which can be done?

Thank in advance

pm me some links - if the content is there I may be able to build a script to scrap to a csv file.

The content is still under copyright - that doesn't change just because a site goes offline.

I've been in contact with a guy who had a website up years ago. I asked to buy the WP theme (custom design) from him a couple of years back and he was fine with it but never got around to locating all the files etc. I'm starting a similar project again now so pinged him an email and he said if he had the files I could have it. I've replied asking for permission to try and get the theme from wayback machine.

Obviously I'd only go ahead if he replies and says it's ok but following on from the OP question. What is the best way to retrieve a website from waybackmachine? After a Google search there's a few websites that say they do it for $15 or so but what do you get at the end of it? Complete WP files & database ready to upload? It's only the theme I'm interested in tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in contact with a guy who had a website up years ago. I asked to buy the WP theme (custom design) from him a couple of years back and he was fine with it but never got around to locating all the files etc. I'm starting a similar project again now so pinged him an email and he said if he had the files I could have it. I've replied asking for permission to try and get the theme from wayback machine.

Obviously I'd only go ahead if he replies and says it's ok but following on from the OP question. What is the best way to retrieve a website from waybackmachine? After a Google search there's a few websites that say they do it for $15 or so but what do you get at the end of it? Complete WP files & database ready to upload? It's only the theme I'm interested in tbh.

Do your research when doing something like that, I done similar recently.....picked up a domain with reasonable authority and wanted to throw some content etc on it as quick as possible until i had time for it.

I managed to get hold of the previous owner who said it was fine to use his content and any graphics i needed from Waybackmachine, it was only going to be temp but it brought me the time i needed not to action anything immediately so i was thankful and he seemed like a nice chap.

Anyway, 4 weeks later i get a nice email for a take down request due to plagiarism.............yup you guessed it the guy who said it was perfectly fine to use his material copied it from someone else all those years ago and upon me putting the site back online it was flagged by copyscape to the real owner, I checked waybackmachine and this guys content was archived way before the domain i had picked up was even registered.

Totally my fault for taking him at face value and not checking first. No harm done but still be careful.

Good points. In my case I won't be using any of his old content, just the theme but good advice to get something written up confirming ownership transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom