Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal Feedback Please :) - Events & Promotions Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this website.

PromoDB.com is a one stop shop for events and promotions planning.
Main resource is the database which is currently being developed. At present the DB isn't searchable (but will be soon), but companies can list themselves now.

Typical companies may be:
Promotional Staffing Agencies
Advertising Agencies
Media Companies
Exhibition Services
Web Design / SEO

So if anyone has a related business (especially the latter) please feel free to add your business for free. On submission, a profile page is created which lists the details provided - this is available to view instantly and will be submitted into a searchable database as soon as I finish doing the search code :)

The search functionality isn't completed yet but the site is taking FREE submissions.

If anyone gets a chance to post or PM feedback I'd appreciate it. Especially regarding the following:

1. Ease of form submission
2. Any form validation issues
3. Any logo attachment problems
4. The layout of the profile page that is created for your business
5. The overall layout and design of the site
6. Additional content

Here are a few screen shots of the profile pages along with their url's:

http://www.promodb.com/promotions-company-profiles/1023.php
promostar-screen.gif

http://www.promodb.com/promotions-company-profiles/1282.php
wildfires-screen.gif

Here's a screenshot of the category some domainers may be interested in (if you provide any web design or SEO type services):
webdesign-seo.jpg

Thanks for any feedback

Some very quick thoughts from me:

- On the home page, there's rather a lot of white space in the top half of the page.

- Consider using a brief intro para on home page to describe what the site is for, and perhaps come up with a tag line too that can be used in the header so people can quickly grasp what the site is for.

- Bit of a green red colour clash going on on home page. Cut down number of colour highlights and use colour where you want to drawn the visitor first so they can navigate through the site easily.

- I know not everyone wants to do it, but a physical name and address adds credibility. Also, picture of site owner adds credibility but again you might not want to do that.

Thanks for your comments Accelerator

Can I ask which browser, version and OS you're using?

I'm not sure if it's a css problem that's causing the white space, but I've checked it on a few browsers on Mac and others have checked it on PC and couldn't see the whitespace.

I think you're right about more description on the main page. At the moment the slogan is "Worldwide Promotions Database" next to the logo at the top right which describes what it is. But I agree it needs more.

Also regarding the green red clash, I might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here. The red section on the main page just shows a preview of a profile - clicking read more takes you to the main profile (screen shots attached in previous post)- but I might take this section out and provide a slightly more detailed introduction to the site (which'll get rid of the red, and better introduce the site's aim)

Regarding the white space which you noticed.

Can I ask between which objects it appears? I've attached a screenshot below of what I see from my side:

promodb-screen.jpg

The "Add your company It's FAST & FREE" is appearing below the search function, leaving white space over on the right hand side.

IE6 / Win XP / Monitor at 1280 x 1024 pixels (although still looks the same if I knock the resolution down to 1024 x 768).

Also, I advise highlight colours on important items, e.g. make the plus sign on Add your company bright green so that people notice it. Use bright green (or maybe red) to highlight important items on the page and try not to use that colour in other parts of the page. Really helps with usability.

Accelerator - I've just widened the divs in the css, I think IE6 is a bit weird with css sometimes - could you let me know if the bits are in the right place (or is that whitespace still there)

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom