Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Complete Emails were bouncing, so we switched the server

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings Acorn Community,

Hope you are having a great day.

I would like to share with you the story of 'the mail server' and the issues we were going through while handling it.

This story started months ago when we began sending mail from a dedicated mail server for AcornDomains and DNForum. We bought VPSs and used them as an SMTP relay server. However, the limitation of the VPS provider (unavailability of IPV6 reverse DNS) became an apparent problem when we faced a high rate of bounces on our server. Another issue was that the emails were slow, and some important emails such as email verification/ password reset were not reaching people in time.

We also tried a dedicated server after that. Using Proxmox (Freemium Virtual Environment), we separated the server into multiple instances of VPS, each with its own SMTP relay server. That didn't go as planned and the outcome was a slower SMTP server with a better bounce rate. We couldn't settle on that and immediately switched back to the previous VPSs.

Then we decided to make a switch to SES(Simple Email Service) from AWS. This was the response:

Screenshot 2024-08-09 193059.png

After getting rejected by Amazon for that "specific detail", we recently decided to give our old friend (I'm referring to the dedicated server here, obviously) a second try, this time with Virtualizor (a Paid Virtual Environment by Softaculous). The aftermath is that the performance is great till now and the bounces are lesser, even! Let's not foreshadow and wait for a month. Also, tell me your experience with the mail system, and what improvements can be made to our mail service.

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
Great job Prashanna!! thank you for not giving up :)

what are the specs of our new vps?

.. and, do you know + -, how fast would it process all 8100 Tuesday newsletters? .. so that it doesn't impact the delivery of other system emails that are going out during these peak times? Tx

Great job Prashanna!! thank you for not giving up
All props to you for trying out everything

what are the specs of our new vps?
Our dedicated servers have Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 for CPU. Out of 6 cores and 12 threads it has, I've allocated 6 vCPU to each of them and the VM handles the rest with the allocation of the resources. Typically a vCPU translates to a physical core from what I read. We also have 4x 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM stick which is more than enough (I've allocated 38 gigs of guaranteed RAM to each which I may reduce because the VM can surpass the limit if absolutely needed) and an Intel I210 for Network Interface.

Also about the newsletters, I'm not quite sure about the speed because it not only depends on our sending rate but the receiver's as well. We will have to wait and watch for the result. But I hope its goes all well.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom