Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal effective.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Strange one this - I'm not trying to sell it, the owner is offering it to me as part payment for some work I did for him.

He reckon's it's worth £xx,000 - I just want some kind of sanity check to ensure that his xx is somewhere in roughly the right ball park.

I can't see me using it myself (I'm no web guru!), so I'd probably have to sell it on to realise the value.

Any ideas from the experts? To me it sounds like quite a good name - single word, nice positive slant, etc. - but I'm unsure as to how that would translate into pound coins!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks a million,

Az.

100-200 pounds is my "gut instinct". It's a brandable (not descriptive of a particular product/service) and not a very exciting one at that.

It's a nice domain, registered since 1994! Five figures may be right but it's probably not the sort of domain that you'll be able to shift right away at that price, you'll probably have to wait until an end user comes along who really wants it.

You may get 4 figures for it on here for a quick sale.

Grant

I will add, given the choice of 5 figures in cash or this domain I'd take the cash. It may never sell.

Grant

Thanks Grant. I didn't want to post actual figures here because I didn't want to influence any advice that people gave. But seeing as you've started to talk numbers, I have a choice of £5k cash, or the domain which the owner reckons is worth around £10k. So far in all of our dealings he has been very open and honest, so I don't doubt that he really thinks it is worth £10k.

I asked why he wanted to part with £10ks worth of domain rather than £5k cash, and he said something about tax which sounded plausible at the time, but which I can't remember - sorry!

Thanks for the help - really appreciate it!

Az

Last edited:
By the way, how can you tell when he registered it? I found a tool on the Nominet site that gave the domain details, but it said something about "before 1996".

Az

This forum is full of domain resellers and I think you'd struggle to find one that would pay £5k for this domain, mainly for the reason Edwin suggested - It's brandable so there will always be a very limited number of potential buyers.

It could sell for 5 figures one day but there are no guarantees that it will.

Grant

By the way, how can you tell when he registered it? I found a tool on the Nominet site that gave the domain details, but it said something about "before 1996".

Az

Nominets systems for registrars gives you the proper date rather than the 'before 1996...'

Grant

Also bear in mind that Edwin is extremely experienced and he's valuing this at £200 so I could be way off :)

Grant

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it 'could' be worth what the owner believes, but that it would be a long and possibly difficult sale.

So I'm going to take your advice and ask for the £5k instead.

Knowing my luck he'll sell it next month and get the £12k for it! Still, I think the cash option is cleanest.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you so much.

Az

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it 'could' be worth what the owner believes, but that it would be a long and possibly difficult sale.

Knowing my luck he'll sell it next month and get the £12k for it! Still, I think the cash option is cleanest.

Az
Smart move ;)

Come back on here with £5k to spend and you will get a GOOD domain.... not that tat...IMO

TW

In my limited experience I'd definitely take the 5k.

It's a nice name, but it's not 'excite' !

5k is alot of cash.

Above that and 'effective' becomes subjective and subjective doesn't pay the bills :)

All the best.

Az
Take the money...? £5k If it was brandable then the other tld's would have been…. If you not sure put it up for sale at 5k on forums or auctions Id put money on no one offering anything near that I'd be surprised if he got £500 ?

Last edited:
Just because it does not contain a product keyword or town name, does not mean its worthless :)

I think its a very strong, positive, brandable name - for something effective! (probably an internet related service)

Still, has a bit of a corp lottery ticketness about it so potentially ££,£££ but I think 1-2k at least as is.

I'd take the domain.

100-200 pounds is my "gut instinct". It's a brandable (not descriptive of a particular product/service) and not a very exciting one at that.

I'd take the cash, unless you are prepared to sit on the domain for a long time to wait for the right offer to come along. The name is also a little on the long side and hard to spell side to have serious value as a brandable.

Rgds

As with julian i would be tempted by the name, but depends on personal circumstances. If its 5k to put in bank then in a name may make better return.

As with julian i would be tempted by the name, but depends on personal circumstances. If its 5k to put in bank then in a name may make better return.

I'm glad there's a couple of other people who think this is worth more than a few hundred quid, was beginning to think I was going insane!

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom