Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal Any ideas for MBK.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I acquired this last month from Yamaha and thought it would make a nice project for the summer. I initially thought Mountain Bikes, but most Google searches come up with MBK scooters. Am I right in thinking Yamaha own MBK scooters? Anyway it was a surprise they didn't need it and if you have any ideas for content I'd appreciate hearing them.

first thing I thought of was "money back"..... but its a pretty saturated industry, probably suited better to a proper acronym.

The previous owners of this domain used to be www.mbk-europe.com so it may be worth getting back in contact with them and suggesting some kind of partnership to resell there products on a commission basis maybe?

Just an idea...
Barry

I’m not too sure what I would offer money back on, but thanks for the suggestion.

The previous owners of this domain used to be www.mbk-europe.com so it may be worth getting back in contact with them and suggesting some kind of partnership to resell there products on a commission basis maybe?

Just an idea...
Barry

I was thinking that, but I wasn't too sure if Yamaha and MBK are the same people, or are at least currently the same people, given that they didn't need the domain. I can't find the details on their websites, but I will certainly look into it.

Bangkok Holidays :)

That's sure to earn me commission :p

As mentioned, the domain was bought from Yamaha, so I assume they own, or owned, MBK. I have an email saying that they no longer require the domain and their head of marketing transferred it to me. I don't know the legalities of things, but I would hope it would give me some backing if it was disputed. I don't intend to infringe any trademarks and it wasn't acquired for malicious purposes. I am also wondering what the affect of the domain being registered prior to the registration of the trade mark is in this case?

Don't rely on the letter equating to anything carte blanche in respect of how you use it in relation to them. :)

I think the original registration date would now be irrelevant because you weren't the original Registrant. It's effectively considered a new registration from the date of the last transfer of ownership as far as a TM predating it is concerned. It isn't as if you purchased the domain with an active website. However if you use it for something completely unrelated to any Registered Trade Mark and in the future someone applies for a Trade Mark in a category relating to your use, you would have prior useage rights and I don't believe they would be able to prevent you from continuing to use the domain name as you were unless you ammended your usage to take advantage of their offering/goodwill. Please ask your IP lawyer for clarification, though. :)

Thank you for the advice. I'll look into it and see what comes up.

What I find interesting is that you convinced a large company (such as Yamaha) to sell to you. I'm assuming less than £x,xxx?

Usually when I'm up against Corporates you just can't find the right people and when you do they haven't the authority or can't be bothered with your inquiry in relation to the sum of money changing hands.

So, kudos to you.

What I find interesting is that you convinced a large company (such as Yamaha) to sell to you. I'm assuming less than £x,xxx?

Usually when I'm up against Corporates you just can't find the right people and when you do they haven't the authority or can't be bothered with your inquiry in relation to the sum of money changing hands.

So, kudos to you.

I appreciate that :D

Yeah, it was less £x,xxx and I was also surprised that they let me have it. I've contacted several large companies recently and half say no and let it drop, some say yeah, but let it drop and so far only two have managed to transfer.

The domain was registered to Yamaha UK so I called the UK head office and asked to speak to the head of marketing. I was put straight through and as soon as I mentioned the domain she said that they had already decided they didn't need it.

Did you buy a lottery ticket that day as well?:cool:

Haha, if only. Well assuming there are no problems as mentioned earlier in this thread I think I did better than 4 numbers.

Heads will probably roll when the MDs find out that "Tracey" down in marketing has sold one of their future domain name marketing strategies for the price of a mars bar and cup of tea :D

The phrase My Bloody Kids springs into my mind after recent events where son sends me a text saying pick me up in 15 minutes from..... When I'm in a meeting with a client 100 miles away and then doesn't answer phone when I ring back !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom