Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal Website Review Please - Not a sales appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been spending a fair amount of time working on this site and am nearing completing the site soon, before embarking on promoting the site.

www.buyingfirsttime.co.uk

I've got a few niggling bugs to iron out but i just wanted to throw it open to some comments. All comments gratefully received.

Interesting points:

I have one of the largest databases of UK estate and letting agents (the search facility is best used using the post code, this is one bug i need to work on.)

I look forward to your thoughts.

Looks OK but search system doesnt seem to be working:

Sorry! We couldn't find any Residential Letting Agents in surrey

Postcode search works well (although I'm interested to see that each time I run a search on the same postcode, the list of letting agents is in a different order). Town search didn't appear to work at all.

The site has crashed my browser the first time I went to it, but then I run an obscure browser (Opera) so it's not really an issue ;)

Apart from that, I personally don't like the use of the word 'directory' - when I went to the site, I couldn't see a search feature. For me, if I had gone to the site looking for a list of estate agents, I wouldn't have thought to look at the directory tab - maybe you could make a search box or a more explanatory link down the side? I think it is a personal thing though, and I am probably totally in the minority with this comment :)

I like the look of the site - it's clean and without too much clutter.

Good luck with it :)

Clem

Thanks for your comments.

I'm working on the search function at the moment, the Post codes are fine as Clem mentioned. The Town and counties should be following soon.

I'm not keen on the word directory either, but what else would you call it?

drizzt said:
I'm not keen on the word directory either, but what else would you call it?

Not sure!! Maybe something like "listings"? However, that's not ideal as it doesn't tell the user exactly what you are listing .

I've just noticed some text which is at the bottom showing you can search - maybe make it more prominent as I didn't notice it when I was looking at the site earlier?

drizzt said:
..the Post codes are fine ..

didn't work !

personally, I would never enter "my" post code...!!

are people looking to buy in a "post code" really?

how about...Cardiff...Arran...Isle of Dogs?

It would be good if you could search within so many miles of a postcode or town? I'd also get buying1sttime.co.uk

Okay, directory searches for County and Towns are now working.

So apart from issues with the directory search function, its not too bad?

Last edited:
drizzt said:
Okay, directory searches for County and Towns are now working.

So apart from issues with the directory search function, its not too bad?

I like it :)

One other (very small and picky) point: on the directory search box, it has a little lable under it saying "(Use Post Code, e.g BH24)". As the town/county search is now working (and it's definitely working for my area :) ), maybe remove this? Or change the wording to "For best results, use postcode, e.g. BH24" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom