Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Offers Vacation.co.uk

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am in the domainbiz for over 18 years, but we focus primarily on ccTld's like .de, .at, .ch as well .com. So we do not have a lot of experience in the UK market. A customer of our company wants to sell "Vacation.co.uk". Maybe you can give me a hint concerning the value of the domain?

According to Ahrefs.com the keyword "vacation" has a monthly search volume of 21.000 requests, the CPC is $ 1,50.-. So what would be a fair price for this domain?

Thanks in advance and best wishes from Salzburg/Austria

Christoph

One point I would make is that vacation is not a word used in England, only US English.

Thanks for your feedback. You're may right, but the keyword has 21.000 monthly local searches, which is pretty strong I guess... Not compareable to "holidays" or "travel" but a solid number of requests in my opinion...

i think vacation.uk or possibly.co.uk sold recently. i remember thinking it being more than i expected ie. closer to 5k than 2k for an american word. but then again if someone is marketing holidays to americans in uk it may be no probs and hence the higher price.

Ok - thanks for your feedback. So you agree with benjameen that vacation is definitely an american term. Interesting. Due to the high search volume, I assumed that "Vacation" is a common term in UK although it's not compareable to travel or holidays.

What do you guys think? Would you make an offer for the domain?

Kind regards

Christoph

vacation.uk sold for £2,251 on ukbackorder.com

Price, at least £2250, to an end user who wants it to be their brand who knows, £50,000

Top Info! Thanks for your feedback! :) That helps a lot! So I assume € 50.000.- is maybe possible but we want a quick deal for a reasonable price.

In the UK we use the term holidays/travel instead of vacation.

However, the reason for the search volume is because a lot of universities in the UK refer to the summer/Christmas etc breaks from summer, as vacation periods.

Essentially, the search volume in the UK is from students checking when their break from study is coming up... it's not for people looking for holidays.

Still some value I assume but not as much as it would be if the user search intent was different.

Ok same here in Austria - we use "Ferien" for "Vacation" and "Reisen" for "Travel". So I guess that € 5.000.- should be a reasonable price for this domain.

Thanks a lot for your help! What a great place! I should invest on .uk domains! :)

Well if you need anyone to set up a business for you in Austria let me know ;) I've been like 20 times in the last 6 years - amazing wonderful place.

Well if you need anyone to set up a business for you in Austria let me know ;) I've been like 20 times in the last 6 years - amazing wonderful place.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I REALLY love my country... and great domains! ;-) I will remember your offer! :)

UK and most other countries trend towards adopting American Words anyway. Not in all cases and works other way round. 20 years ago Americans referred to cars as Automobiles whereas now globally it's just cars.

The trend will likely continue because of the desire for one universal online language which for this purpose we'll assume is in the main English, but the in specific areas other non British terms but English terms rise to prominence.

Another reason I think is International Travel so you get 'immigration' of words as people like to show off the new words they've become familiar with on their travels.

Traditional Brits hate this of course. You could get shot in this country for referring to football as 'soccer' for example.

Examples would be

Apartments
Condos is a word on the rise now.
Diapers
Garbage
Hood [of a car]
Mailbox
Pants [in reference to trousers]
Private School [in reference to Public Schools]
Robes [in reference to Dressing Gowns]
Mart
Sneakers
Strollers
Sweaters

I actually think Vacation is a strong example of this trend. It's an attractive word.

I think 10k would a strong return.

UK and most other countries trend towards adopting American Words anyway. Not in all cases and works other way round. 20 years ago Americans referred to cars as Automobiles whereas now globally it's just cars.

The trend will likely continue because of the desire for one universal online language which for this purpose we'll assume is in the main English, but the in specific areas other non British terms but English terms rise to prominence.

Another reason I think is International Travel so you get 'immigration' of words as people like to show off the new words they've become familiar with on their travels.

Traditional Brits hate this of course. You could get shot in this country for referring to football as 'soccer' for example.

Examples would be

Apartments
Condos is a word on the rise now.
Diapers
Garbage
Hood [of a car]
Mailbox
Pants [in reference to trousers]
Private School [in reference to Public Schools]
Robes [in reference to Dressing Gowns]
Mart
Sneakers
Strollers
Sweaters

I actually think Vacation is a strong example of this trend. It's an attractive word.

I think 10k would a strong return.

Thanks for your detailed feedback and the examples! Pretty interesting! :) In the german speaking market (Austria, Germany, Switzerland) we have also english terms which are more popular than the german pendants like Singles or Shopping. Shopping.de has been sold for over a Million Euros!

One question in this context: Which Tld do you favour - .co.uk or .uk? I guess at the moment .co.uk are more popular and achieve better prices. Do you agree? What are the most expensive .co.uk sales? I know a private .co.uk transaction at over € 1.000.000.- (tourism segment). I just know some deals from the Sedo Newsletter. Regarding the last .uk auctions I think that .uk domains are pretty cheap... in comparison to .de domains...

Best wishes

Christoph

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom