Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

quick question on bad faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
probably a stupid question but i'm trying to get my head around some stuff ...
in this quote from a N.A.F hearing

“Paragraph 4(a) of the Policy provides that, to justify transfer of a domain name, a complainant must prove that …:
(3) the domain name has been registered and used in bad faith.”

Does the ‘and’ rather than ‘or’ in this last sentence suggest that a domain can be registered in bad faith as long as it is not used in bad faith and vice versa?”

Mendis

The NAF ruling you refer to relates to UDRP a policy established in 1999 for global domain names (com net org etc)

Nominet chose to ignore the wording of UDRP and instead decided to write their own policy in 2001 called DRS .

UDRP requires that the domain name to have been registered in bad faith AND used in bad faith.
Nominet DRS requires that the domain name to have been registered in bad faith OR used in bad faith.

This is a fundamental difference which allows decisions to take away co.uk domain names registered a long time ago, in some cases even before the complainant existed or registered a trademark or simply established "rights" (with DRS the complainant doesnt even have to have a registered trademark).

Spot on Jinxie - a big difference that has proved very handy for a number of claimants.

But the DRS does not require "bad faith" - that was explicitly removed in the consultation period - as it is seen as harder to show than "abusive registration".

Excellent explanation, thanks, I did think that 'and' was a bit ambiguous, Nominet obviously agreed. I'll have to make sure to read up on some more up to date and relevant examples.

jinxie98

Welcome, you have a wise head on young shoulders.

but who trashed your reputation !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom