Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Potential Dispute - Advice Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. I regged a TM domain around four years ago. It's a .com and describes a particular line of product made by a large multinational company. It is not generic at all.

They now have the .co.uk variant of the name and have had it for over a year now. They have never approached me about the .com. However, today, I got a wrongly directed e-mail that should gone to [email protected] but came to me because it was wrongly addresses to [email protected].

It's actually from one of their clients and it looks pretty important.

Ordinarliy I would forward it on but you know what these big companies are like. I only keep the domain as it gives some pretty healthy PPC rev. I regged it in the days that I thought it was clever to reg such names ;-)

What would you do?

lesurf said:
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. I regged a TM domain around four years ago. It's a .com and describes a particular line of product made by a large multinational company. It is not generic at all.

They now have the .co.uk variant of the name and have had it for over a year now. They have never approached me about the .com. However, today, I got a wrongly directed e-mail that should gone to [email protected] but came to me because it was wrongly addresses to [email protected].

Ordinarliy I would forward it on but you know what these big companies are like. I only keep the domain as it gives some pretty healthy PPC rev. I regged it in the days that I thought it was clever to reg such names ;-)

What would you do?

you could always use one of those sites that lets you send a mail with faked headers - resend it and make it look like its the original mail ;)

grant

I would delete it as it doesn't concern you how important or unimportant the email is - if it's important then the person will find other means of getting in touch. I'd also change email to only accept one username or do a return all. Oh and if it's about shares don't buy or sell them. :mrgreen:

Les

I have a .co.uk and .com which consist of two of my childrens names... two other companies one in Mayfair, one NewYork have domains with a hyphen. I recieve emails all the time. On one ocassion someone sent a 4 meg excel file password separatly, then expained what the wanted to happen to avoid serious financial issues on the release of the data! You can imagine what i did with the information ;)

Thanks for the feedback seeing as this name could never be considered generic, and I would have huge problems convincing people I had named my none existent kid(s) the same name (if you knew what the name was it's even funnier), I'm not going to act.

As you say if it's that important I'm sure they'll get in touch with the intended recipient by other means. I hope they do soon though as it's confirmation of an appointment for 30th June ;-)

As it's a TM I have little or no chance of getting them to pay up so I'm better off just to get the PPC rev.

lesurf said:
Hi,

What would you do?

What would I do ?. I would use the wrongly addressed email as an excuse, ring up the company and say "I keep receiving emails that I believe may be meant for yourselves. My email address isxyz.com. Do you want me to forward it to you". That will get the ball rolling. Then they will either sue you or buy it. Dont ever think you will get much more than £1k for a TM name, but you can easily get that.

DG

I'm sure I read in a DRS that confusion between emails helped a decision go a complainants way, probably wrong though.

The way I look at it is this. Sure you can reg a domain and hold on to it for ever and a day, but what the hell point is there in doing that as youve bought it to make money, not to just hold on to. Take a risk, make the approach and the worst thing can happen is they'll take it thru drs, but I doubt theyll bother and they'll pay you.

DG

domaingenius said:
The way I look at it is this. Sure you can reg a domain and hold on to it for ever and a day, but what the hell point is there in doing that as youve bought it to make money, not to just hold on to. Take a risk, make the approach and the worst thing can happen is they'll take it thru drs, but I doubt theyll bother and they'll pay you.
DG

DG

That is a dangerous game, especially with American Law

OB

olebean said:
DG

That is a dangerous game, especially with American Law

OB

OB, Yes I know but you only live once and you could end up holding the domain for years without them even bothering to look and see youve got it. Whats the point of that, unless it is bringing in stacks and stacks of PPC cash ?. Ive been sued in the US Courts many a time and havent yet lost any money,touchwood lol, as theyve alway settled before trial. Spoke to a Judge in the USA few months ago in conference call with the complainant and settled soon after. Lee, if you want me to do it for you for 10% pm me and I'll do it for you.

DG

Beware the recent phone4u.co.uk Appeal (especially paragraphs 36-40) if it is a product sold in the UK and there is a risk that litigation could follow here.

Whois-Search said:
Turn off your catchall email and make anything@ bounce
May well be a sensible course of action.

Last edited:
I sometimes get resumes sent to me by people thinking they are applying for jobs because I own *wordword.com and *word-word.com is an employment finding site. I just delete em.

I have similar on one of my domains, get loads of CV's from progressive.co.uk . Several multi meg forwards of their crap to multi addresses soon sorted that one out :)

Cheers for all of the advice on this. The firm in question is a famous UK based company who has an international reputation for being very guarded about their TM.

I am stunned they haven't been in touch as they regged the .co.uk of my domain years after I regged the .com, and they have the .com as well as the .co.uk of every other domain I know they have regged, very odd!

To reaffirm I regged this name back in the days that I thought it was big and clever to reg TM's. I know better now. However, if there is anyone here that wants to take over this domain and try their luck with the TM holder then I'm up for offers.

Provided they are a reputable member of this board I wouldn't mind transfering it to them and then taking half of what ever they get. I just don't want my name on the domain if a dispute erupts.

Return to Sender like surface mail

I think the responsible thing to do is return it to sender and explain that they've made a mistake.

This is what I've done in the past.

THe sender then knows that they may have released sensitive info and can change passwords if necessary.

This is what we all do with surface mail isn't it?

Hi Lesurf

if i was a lawyer and you posted in forum Hi,

you have admitted its a tm (word of advise do not say you reggied name has tm and post it on forums as smart Url lawyers read these posts and could use it against you so in future be carfull what you post

Thanks

Good Advice. I have decided against doing anything with the domain other than letting it expire and turning off all e-mail. I would probably even release it if I knew how to do so in the UKREG control panel. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom