Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Possible DRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I own a typo of a generic term and have had an offer from the company who own the correct spelling of the term, basically offering me a lowish amount of cash to buy it. They also state that if I do not accept the amount offered then they will go to DRS for it. The company name is registered as genericterm.co.uk Ltd. (since 2001, way before I reg'd the domain).

I'm thinking that I dont have much of a chance if it came to a DRS, just wanted your thoughts??

Many thanks, Grant

depends on the name... but i would offer it them for £700.

This is slightly cheaper for them than a DRS and in addition they have a 100% chance of getting the domain!

Just checked the domains (very unimpressive) stats and the amount offered is about 20 years revenue so I think I will take the offer anyway :)

Would still appreciate peoples opinions on this situation though in case it crops up again - I assume that as the company name is actually the correct spelling of the term (including the .co.uk extension) it puts them in a strong position??

Grant

It would be interesting to know why they setup a company with genericterm.co.uk before owning the domain... for future hijacking purposes?!

rob said:
It would be interesting to know why they setup a company with genericterm.co.uk before owning the domain... for future hijacking purposes?!

Hi Rob, they do own the gerenic term, I own a typo of it.

Grant

If you see £700 as a good return and can't be arsed with the hassle of a DRS - take the money.

grantw said:
Would still appreciate peoples opinions on this situation though in case it crops up again - I assume that as the company name is actually the correct spelling of the term (including the .co.uk extension) it puts them in a strong position??

I would think so. This is really asking is typosquatting worthwhile. Well, it is in terms of the traffic until the legitimate company notices. The value in the domain depends on how well you can argue that the misspelling is not associated with the legitimate company. Most of the time the only value in the domain will be because the legitimate company exists, so you will have a weak case. However, I guess there is money to be made, seeing that a DRS costs min £750, the legitimate company may offer you less than this to get the domain either to save itself money or hassle.

Typosquatting isn't a strategy I personally adopt. I prefer to concentrate on generics.

Rgds

Accelerator

Ah , need to read properly. If its a typo then cant see a leg to stand on... cash in and move on IMHO :)

Same as any "generic" trademark - virgin, egg etc
If it's recognised and registered as a brand then you're not going to be able to make anything worthwhile out of e.g. flights/money etc but could do dating/cooking (or as per news this morning surgically revirginalising!)

So, if you can make ppc revenue out of the generic keywords then that's your call.

As an opinion I think that given what you've told us it's a no brainer - bye bye domain!

-aqls-

hmmm

Rob

That would depend on whether the typo is or could be construed as something else.

Notwithstanding the advice given by all above, threatening a DRS is a bit like threatening legal action. Anybody can write it in a letter, but actually doing it is another matter.

Sure, you don't actually cough up any money for a DRS until reasonably late on in the day, but there's still a load of paper shuffling to do.

In my mind it would seem rude not to at least ask for a bit more bunce if their initial offer is as low as you're suggesting it it.

I've replied and accepted their offer, the domain in question had 6 uniques this month and made $1 - if it had been a normal offer (without the threats) I would have snapped the buyers hand off so figure there is no point kicking up a fuss!

Thanks for all your comments, Grant

Noted - sometimes the path of least resistance is the best one :)

Interesting situation and don't blame you for taking the money but wondered if anyone knows of a previous DRS case in this respect which may have layed down a precedent i.e. where someone has registered a typo of a common english generic word and been challenged by the .co.uk owner of the correct spelling. I was always under the impression that if the term couldn't be trademarked and it was a mispell of a common word i.e. flights or holidays then anyone was perfectly entitled to register a mispell without infringing anyone's rights. Also wonder if there have been any .com disputes along these lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom