Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Olympic Games domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Interesting article from the York local paper

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/YORK_NEWS_LOCAL2.html

The URL suggests it's not going to be around for more than 24 hours so I've quoted the text below. Has anybody else had similar correspondence from the Olympic people?

Travel agent's Olympic bother
by Nadia Jefferson-Brown

A TRAVEL agent's Olympic dream is turning into a nightmare amid fears he might face legal action over a bid to capitalise on the 2012 Games.

Paul Smith, of Quartz Travel in Heworth, York, registered five internet domain names the day after London's successful bid was announced, including www.olympicsinuk.com and www.london2012beds.co.uk

His vision was to create online sites for people seeking travel and accommodation in the capital during the massive event, as well as attracting Olympic visitors to the York area.

The 31-year-old said the organisers did not act to protect the London 2012 trademark until the following day - but were now insisting he hand over the domain names.

He said it felt like "a kick in the teeth" after he and staff backed London's bid with displays in their window.

"It seems very unfair to insist that the names are handed over," protested Paul. "Why should the only businesses to be able to share in the Olympic success be large multinationals officially sanctioned by the organisers?

"Like everyone else in York, my taxes will go towards paying for the Olympics. Why shouldn't I be able to capitalise on a great business opportunity?"

He said: "I'm hoping the organisers will see reason and let this pass. They have plenty of other opportunities to sell sponsorship without the need to stop me trying to make a living."

He admitted he would not be able to fight the issue in court because of the "astronomical costs", but said he refused to just hand over the names.

An Olympic 2012 spokesman confirmed that its brand protection lawyer had asked Mr Smith to refrain from using the domain names, and was waiting to hear from him before considering further action.

He explained the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and British Olympic Association (BOA) are responsible for protecting the value of the Olympic brand.

That protection is set out in The Olympic Symbol etc. (Protection) Act 1995, and includes the use of words such as Olympian, Olympics, related words and symbols such as the five interlocking rings.

Steps are also being taken to protect the London 2012 brand.

"If we neglect to prevent unauthorised uses of our rights, the ability to offer sponsors an exclusive association with the Olympic Games would be compromised," said the spokesman, adding that more than £500 million was needed for the Games.

"A significant proportion of the revenue necessary to host the Games, which otherwise might have to come from the public purse, would be jeopardised. For these reasons, we cannot permit Paul Smith to use the domain names."

He said the BOA had powers to seek injunctions "to prevent any unauthorised commercial use of Olympic-related terminology and/or symbols, and to seek damages and/or an account of profits".

Updated: 10:47 Thursday, October 06, 2005

He explained the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and British Olympic Association (BOA) are responsible for protecting the value of the Olympic brand.

i reckon they're setting themselves up for a big fall - i bet they make a loss after all this fuss. (fingers crossed)

I can see the 60 yr olds of the olympic comittee either sitting down to create their own site from clip art and ms word or paying millions to some lucky smooth talking sales man for an off the shelf template based website!

olympic

what about, olympic airlines ,olympic airways , olympic travel , bullyboy tactics from cloud 9, anyway I have 7 domains.

This is just the start - Remember that press release some months ago that said that London2012 would even have rights to the year '2012'. See this link http://sport.guardian.co.uk/london2012/story/0,14213,1556696,00.html

They're going to start going for the soft targets first and then progress to borderline cases and many cases where they'll have a real fight on their hands. No company, organisation or government should be allowed to claim the rights to a year.

Also would be interesting to know how they are tracking down these domain owners. london2012beds and olympicsinuk are not the greatest names in the world! or ones that would immediately come to mind, unless london2012 are employing full time workers on this or have access to lists of domains including the words 2012 and london. I note that they aren't even listed in google. So how did they track down these two domains to the same owner? any ideas?

Last edited:
zee said:
what about, olympic airlines ,olympic airways , olympic travel , bullyboy tactics from cloud 9, anyway I have 7 domains.

as soon as you use the word olympic then your on their list.

this is a ridiculous situation, who would have thought in our time that there would be a crack down the "words" we can use. Surely there must be some law against this, i dont have any domains that fall in to the category but what ever happened to free enterprise.
I think historically the management have always fallen short of the private enterprise an in this case they're going to avoid that at all costs.
buggers!

So if i happened to own a domain name that sounded a bit like GB2012 (its not GB 2012 but similar) and was planning on developing a small site with info on the 2012 games, would i fall foul of any of these trademarks?

If you fart and it sounds like 2012, you'll get sued.

Reeeeeeeeediculous.

Dear Mr Olympics
Please spend our taxes on making the games amazing and bring millions into the UK, not on troubling travel agents in York.
Yours Ratboy.

I can't see how they can trademark 2012! I've checked their website and my term is not noted as a trademarked term.

I was thinking a basic info site possibly with a fans forum and useful info and links etc.

Not worth the hassle then?

The initial furore was over the aparent trademarking of '2012' and 'London/Olympics' seperately.

They apparently came to some sense a few weeks later when the official site changed to show the trademarking/banning of the london2012 or combinations thereof double usage in domain names, which the above is one of.

2012 with any other word is as far as I'm aware ok, so long as the site doesn't use any trademarks of the olympics/london2012 or any association/affiliation.

S

I bought londonolympicstadium.co.uk a few months back but managed to get a re-fund when i found out that i could lose my Vest! . What i don't understand is , why do registra's even let individuals register olympic names? there must be some way of blocking these names unless you are from the olympic organisation....is it greed or am i cynical:rolleyes:

Thanks Tiposi.

So i would be okay with something like great britain 2012?

I can't see how they can trademark a year!

That is F****** ridiculous.

drizzt said:
I can't see how they can trademark a year!

That is F****** ridiculous.

Evidence that the 'free market' is a myth. It beats me how anyone can trademark something like a common word. 'Olympic' has been in use for hundreds of years so why some jumped up little body should have the right to claim it is their trademark is absurd. Maybe the nest step is for some corporation to trademark every word in the dictionary and charge everyone who puts pen to paper.

I wonder if that means my FIFA World Cup domain is infringing the rights of FIFA? :cool:

Nigel said:
Also would be interesting to know how they are tracking down these domain owners. london2012beds and olympicsinuk are not the greatest names in the world! or ones that would immediately come to mind, unless london2012 are employing full time workers on this or have access to lists of domains including the words 2012 and london. I note that they aren't even listed in google. So how did they track down these two domains to the same owner? any ideas?

They are simply using the PRSS

http://www.nic.uk/other/prss/

Hi Nismo

My post was made last October - was the PRSS made public at that time?

Coming back to the proposed trademark for the term '2012' by the Olympic Association, I can't see that the UK patent office would have allowed this proposal for any category other than 'sport' (even then I can't see why the Olympic Association should have a monopoly on Sport that year). Problem seems to be that they are applying for a Community wide trademark so the UK have no control over this although it will be binding here (time we left the EU). Even so, you would expect someone over there to display some common sense and send the Olympic association packing. If the trademark is allowed it appears that there will be a total ban on anything that year apart from the Olympics.

i.e. No Cup Final 2012
No Boat Show 2012
No General Election 2012 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom