Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

NX.uk

Sorry, Jag. I've never heard of ROTD, but the site seems really badly put together, unless it was made in the 90's and never updated?

I mean, how legit are these bids on we.co.uk?

No worries, Ben. There's no need to apologize. ROTD has primarily been known for .com domains. Lazarus, thank you for providing that information. Additionally, I'd like to recommend two YouTube channels that anyone interested in domain names should follow:

1. To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
    For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
  2. To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
    For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's important to note that the appearance of a website doesn't always reflect its legitimacy or the quality of its services. Take, for example, domainlore.uk. Although it may not have the best design, it offers an amazing platform and service. ROTD has significantly improved compared to previous years, and it now functions effectively, which is what matters. They have even achieved impressive sales of over $2.2 million at live, in-person auctions like NamesCon and CloudFest 2023.

Monte's reputation speaks volumes, Ben. I haven't come across any negative feedback about ROTD or the team behind it. ( I've been following DN's since 2006/7 )

A misunderstanding occurred wherein I erroneously assumed the auction to be a no-reserve auction. However, I have recently discovered that they have added their commission on top of the asking price I had initially submitted. ( Nx.uk )

Not sure about the we.co.uk auction TBH

You can't really blame the auctioneers for domains being over-priced. An auctioneer would happily sell a domain at half its asking price rather than not sell at full price because some commission is better than none. Whereas the domain investor, unless he is in need of fast cash, would rather not sell way below his expectation, and hold onto the asset.

It's the same with estate agents, who if a house isn't getting much interest, will want the owner to drop the price by 10%. On a typical house price this will mean a paltry 10% £xxx drop in the estate agent's £xxxx commission, a sacrifice they will gladly accept if it results in a sale and they can avoid all the extra hassle and time attending more viewings (plus possible additional advertising costs). But from the seller's point of view, that 10% reduction will deprive him of £xx,xxx from what is probably his most valuable asset and he may well be better off holding on longer to try and get the full price.

Sure some people overvalue their homes and then ask too much. But like you say those people are not doing themselves any favours. You don't want anything to dampen down the initial flurry of interest when you first list it on Rightmove. Also after a while it can start to look like there may be something wrong with the house if it has been sat of the shelf for a long time.

But equally some types of properties do take longer to sell than others even at a fair price (e.g. large country properties or non-London properties at the top end). If there are less potential buyers or lower demand in an area, it can take longer to sell than in a buoyant city housing market at a price level where there are lots of buyers and sellers. For these slower moving properties, while you could drop the price to encourage a quicker sale, it doesn't mean it won't sell if you allow more time.

But still the interests of the seller and the estate agent are not perfectly aligned. The agent will always have a stronger willingness to drop the price because he only stands to lose £xxx in commission, but will gain avoiding any more hassle with the property. Then he can allocate more time to getting and shifting new inventory. But the seller stands to lose £xxxxx by such a move so he should assess his position carefully and think for himself.

With a domain auction, there is hardly any hassle or marginal cost involved in adding an extra domain to the inventory. Prices are more volatile and valuations harder to pin down too. So I can imagine it's very hard to turn away inventory even if you think the reserve is over-ambitious. You also want some high profile names in the auction to drum up interest in the auction from industry insiders. But you can't expect the owner to take a risk selling premium domains where he may have £xx,xxx of £xxx,xxx invested without a fall-back reserve he is happy with.

But in this case given that it looks like there were misunderstandings between sellers and auctioneers over reserve prices and 6 figure sales were falling through, one has to question how well organised the auction was.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom