Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New questions plus Have I messed up? uk2.uk was available...

Jam

Reaction score
Hey there guys. Sorry if this is a loaded post with many points to answer but I'm sure you guys can help

The last few days I have been analysing the droplists and grabbing a few .uk names that have been missed by the people with TAGs and automated catching. Surprisingly someone registered niece.uk and not nephew.uk... I don't know whether to make a list or blog type post on here of some names I happen to pick up or just keep it private and list off ones I don't really need to hold onto. I actually read on another forum post by another member who is since inactive that it's quite common behaviour for a new person to buy a bunch of FTR domains, but I hope I have a decent eye for quality or value

I need to probably make a landing page but I should perhaps use a real domain as an email address and not sure whether to use one already owned or find another one more appropriate, just saying something like "This domain may be for sale. If you are interested please contact x", which I think I have seen someone do before. Or would you recommend using something like sedo or dan which I'm not sure completely how they work but I guess you point the DNS servers to them and they generate you a page, but I don't know if I want to use them to sell vs say flip or domainlore (again, need to set up a domain email address to sign up for there but I'm verified on flip now).

Today uk2/uk appeared to drop today and I usually give it at least five minutes until all the automated catchers have had their picks and it still hadn't been claimed. I was aware from doing whois checks on lots of domain ideas that uk2 was maybe the tag of a registrar but I didn't realise they were of quite some scale and they also seem to have the co uk already registered which forwards to their .net domain. Have I just got myself into some trouble? I don't know if I can really approach them or if I could get in some hot water for registering this. I wasn't really thinking in the moment that it could be deemed as abusive reg. I have a few other 3 characters that I thought looked neat with a number in but I see they're quite common junk in the registry. I just saw all the other uk* numbered domains were taken and thought it may be worth, but I think a lot of those numbered ones just got picked up on a whim by someone else using GoDaddy and are set to expire in October, probably dropping early next year then

You won't get into hot water for registering the domain. What you do with it is the thing that counts. If you don't have anything to do with them on the page, don't offer any services they offer, don't look like you're passing off, in short don't do anything like them you shouldn't have a DRS problem. Don't have any adverts on the site that are in the same field etc. However you have to ask yourself if the domain is worth anything to you considering all these factors. I would say for now park it somewhere like sedo or domainmanage but don't have any adverts on them in the same field - just a for sale page.
*edit having looked at archive.org it seems the domain was already parked at sedo, with ads, for those years so they didn't want it then - very unlikely they want it now.

Last edited:
You won't get into hot water for registering the domain. What you do with it is the thing that counts. If you don't have anything to do with them on the page, don't offer any services they offer, don't look like you're passing off, in short don't do anything like them you shouldn't have a DRS problem. Don't have any adverts on the site that are in the same field etc. However you have to ask yourself if the domain is worth anything to you considering all these factors. I would say for now park them somewhere like sedo but don't have any adverts on them - just a for sale page.
*edit having looked at archive.org it seems the domain was already parked at sedo for those years so they didn't want it then - very unlikely they want it now.
Thanks for this. What's your first name by the way if it's cool? I'm sure it's probably been mentioned before but I saw you've been in the game for a while

It hadn't even dawned on me really to look at archive.org for the domains I've picked up to see what was on there before... I have been on a bit of a spree the last few days as I'm a bit of an all-in collector when I find a certain niche but then I may move on to something else etc and come back. Maybe it's the undiagnosed OCD/ADHD/autism I've been dealing with for years lol, just how I'm wired. I'm a low-earner technically speaking too atm but can't resist trying. The renewals if I were to keep everything next year could be extreme and hopefully I won't have to fire sale them off

I've seen there's also user auctions on your site too but I guess it's a case of picking one site and hoping that will be the best outcome or playing the waiting game and seeing if anyone contacts if parked. I think your site also requires a non-free domain email. There's a few alt domains mail.com which worked on transcom but I don't know if they've all been blacklisted on yours and domainlore

Thanks again. If anyone wants to open a private chat, more than welcome as I am aware I can be a bit too open publicly at times

I have no idea what my first domain was I've been doing this since 2003 and can't remember that far back :p
You can use free emails on my site now. However you can't take part in any auctions unless you verify your phone number.

Reactions: Jam
I have no idea what my first domain was I've been doing this since 2003 and can't remember that far back :p
You can use free emails on my site now. However you can't take part in any auctions unless you verify your phone number.
Yup, must have been getting mistaken with another site, I made an account last night from the looks of things already

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

☆ Premium Listings

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom