Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Just got this email....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat

Reaction score
It was sent to me 10 times....

Ok lets start. I have the .com not the .co.uk as stated in the email. He has the .co.uk (makes me laugh the cc to nominet when its a .com)

He is telling me they will personaly deliver a formal legal notice to my door?? :)

So where do I stand. There is no trademark on the domain. It can be seen as a Generic type string of words. Its not a business or company name. Its a sentace to do with job finding in a certain area.

Shall I just tell him I was thinking of starting a site based around this and have it parked while I design the site?? Should it even matter what im doing with it????

Mat

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: [email protected]

Mathew

What are your intentions for the domain "xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk", registeredon 25th January 2008?

You are currently advertising football employment services at this URL and will shortly be in breach of the UK Trademarks Act (1994) as we have applied for a trademark.

If I do not receive a suitable reply within 7 days (Saturday 15thFebruary) our representitives will deliver you a formal legal notice to your address, by hand, at:

xxxxxx
xxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
(My address)

Can I contact you on: xxxxxxxxxx (my number)

xxx xxxxxxx
Project Manager

I'm no expert, but if you have the domain before they register it as a trademark, then surely you can't be in breach as you had it first?

If you don't have the .co.uk name, then any legal case would be thrown out as you can't defend a name that you have no ownership of.

Personally, I'd not worry. If the address is your house, you could reply and request that they give you a time for delivery so you can ensure you are available and the name of the person delivering and request they bring ID so you can ensure you are dealing with the correct person, if you do, I would invite a witness to cover your back though as you never know who will arrive.

I would ask him what he plans to be doing for new year and what colour his socks are, and tell him if you do not get a suitable reply you will be very angry with him.

Applying for trademark != valid trademark.

earlier ownership of name and none abusive use = fine .uk , different ie. point of registration for .com

It sounds like someone has cocked up by not regging / aquiring the right domain names and they are trying to fix it in an uneducated manner.

Thanks guys, im trying to work out exactly what I will put in my reply.

As said above I have the .com version of their .co.uk and it looks like their site is going to be very big in the next couple of months. Totaly their fault for not registering the .com at the same time.

I do have it parked at the moment with relevent ads but cant I just tell them I have all my domains parked before I develope them... Should I unpark it as goodwill or can I leave it and stay within the rules??

I dont see how a trademark could effect my use of this domain name.

Think I will just tell him the domain is being registered for future development and it is not for sale.

Anyone got any ideas of the main points I should include in the reply?

Thanks for your help,

Mat

I wouldn't bother replying to be honest.

If you do, simply tell him to poke it and ask him if he will accept £100 for the .co.uk.

It all depends how important the name is to you and if it is more important to him. Without knowing the name there is no straight answer.

If you think it is worth the effort,

Go to the patent website and copy any relevant information to demonstrate to him that he does not have a trademark and does not have a leg to stand on.

Let him know that having simply applied for a trademark means nothing.

Make him aware that you know more about trademarks and legitimate use etc than he does.

Make it clear that you will not be intimidated.

Tell him that should he contemplate legal action that you are prepared to defend your legitimate use of the name and would expect to win the case. That when he loses his challenge you will apply to the judge to award you your legal costs to be paid by the complainant.

I would also remove any competing links on your parked page for now.

This is all assuming that you are sure the name is generic.

When he realise's he is not dealing with an amateur, he might be prepared to negotiate instead of litigate.
Then smack his arse and make him pay. :twisted:

Reactions: mat
good response :)

It all depends how important the name is to you and if it is more important to him. Without knowing the name there is no straight answer.

If you think it is worth the effort,

Go to the patent website and copy any relevant information to demonstrate to him that he does not have a trademark and does not have a leg to stand on.

Let him know that having simply applied for a trademark means nothing.

Make him aware that you know more about trademarks and legitimate use etc than he does.

Make it clear that you will not be intimidated.

Tell him that should he contemplate legal action that you are prepared to defend your legitimate use of the name and would expect to win the case. That when he loses his challenge you will apply to the judge to award you your legal costs to be paid by the complainant.

I would also remove any competing links on your parked page for now.

This is all assuming that you are sure the name is generic.

When he realise's he is not dealing with an amateur, he might be prepared to negotiate instead of litigate.
Then smack his arse and make him pay. :twisted:

I'd also be inclined to check out http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ to see if their trademark is still pending. You may have grounds (and time) to place a formal objection and as such hinder their rights to that specific trademark.

I wouldn't give in without a fight.

I see they have a E-caveats service.

Is anyone a member who can quickly check it out for me before I send my email reply in the next few days.

All I want to know is if they have actually filed for a trademark or not.

If anyone can please pm me for the details. Would be a great help!

Many thanks,

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom