Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Has anyone been caught out by the 'Olympic' name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In the pub discussion over the weekend someone mentioned an article on SEDO relating to the very strong protection of the Olympic name, and the obvious derivities.

What was more surprising was that they seem to be able to 'protect' references to such generic words/phrases as 'London 2012' or indeed the use of '2012' itself. The article references a case where someone sought to use '2012' in the context of a completely un-olympic event in London next year .... and lost. Can they really reach this far ?????

Has anyone hit problems with actual or potential use of such phrases ?

I had a little idea related to 'information of ticket & package availability' - but am certainly not ready for such a dog-fight - so have quietly dropped the idea, and will let the domain name die.

Regards

John

Thanks guys, It was one of those 'Seemed a good idea at the time' ideas - but glad I heard about all his before I got in too deep.

I have pulled what was a temporary '123 parking' page off the domain name - and deleted the domain forwarding link. Now all any exact type-in will get is a 123 parking page with 'Domain data not found'.

I shall write the registration cost off to a 'learning experience' - of which I am sure there will be a few more over time

Perhaps a timely reminder to those who have any thoughts in this area.

Thanks gain Guys.

John

Whist it is ridiculous that they can get these sorts of rights (and they are granted by special Government support) it is all part of the bid package required to secure the Olympics.

Similar in things like the European Championships and World Cup - I remember they demand that they pay no tax for any earnings from the UK.

All outrageous.

Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom