Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Confused?

Reaction score
I've often been confused by this forum. So many of the people seem so nice, yet so many of us leave opportunities on the table. Literally everyday. More and more I see people listing average-good domains for £30 on this forum. No one replies to them. They then list it on DL - and it sells. Sometimes for even more than the usual £50.....

So, what's up with that?

I recently sold an average gambling domain. I didn't even own the co uk extn just the .uk
I had regretted buying it not long after I bought it. After that, I listed it here a few months ago with no response. Listed it on DL, again with no response.

Last week Sedo contacted me and said someone was keen? I was confused...I thought well even 30-50 makes me happy. I asked the agent for how much I should price it at, and long story short, it went for £1,000 and the buyer paid ALL the fees......I couldn't believe it!

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to ask is - what's up with that???

Acorn is predominantly resellers who buy stock to sell on at a later date for a profit.

Domainlore is a mixture of resellers, developers and a small margin of end users.

Sedo is predominantly end users with a small margin of developers and even smaller margin of resellers.

Hope that helps you understand why you are experiencing what you are.

DOMAIN SELLER Thank you for that. And surprisingly, I knew all that already. That wasn't my point.

My point was, why is everyone leaving deals on the table? Irrespective of how they end up selling it?

It's more a critique on all of us I think.

If you'd gone out to proactively sell that name, there's a good chance you wouldn't have got £1000 for it. And for any stock of names, most won't have a buyer actively looking right now.

In summary: the gods smiled on you :)

DOMAIN SELLER Thank you for that. And surprisingly, I knew all that already. That wasn't my point.

My point was, why is everyone leaving deals on the table? Irrespective of how they end up selling it?

It's more a critique on all of us I think.

Domain names aren't liquid. It could be argued that every domain cost £6 at one point of it's life, and every domain potentially could sell for £100,000 in it's life; however we know that this isn't this case.

Most people don't intentionally 'leave deals on the table' it is more to do with this scenario:

How many domains they own vs. how long they have owned it vs. how much interest in that time they have received, and a conclusion is then drawn from that.

Late last year, I sold a name to someone on here which I had held for 3 years with 0 offers from anywhere, for low £xxx and 2 weeks later the name resold for mid £x,xxx to an end user - I know this as I was the one who done the deal on behalf of my buyer as the offer came through my Sedo account as the name was still listed there.

Hey Domainseller,

That's actually really good to know - thanks. TBH on here, I don't think I've ever done a deal on here greater than 40 quid ?!

Pierre can contest that the domain name I sold on Sedo was shit. I don't want to share it on here, but have shared it with him privately - as someone above said, Domain Gods were smiling that day.

But just recently I saw Airport Parking listed here. I'm not sure it got much interest, and then went on to sell for over 500 GBP. Not bad hey?

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are we all becoming desensitised to good domains? Are we thinking too much like domainers and not seeing the value that 'non-domainers' are placing on some domain names? Perhaps we just see too many a day and can't see the wood from the trees?

Maybe? That's all i meant by saying leaving money on the table. I'm a commodity trade by profession so when I see a domain name offered here, and then go on to do really well at DL (anything 100quid +) I think DAMN IT!!! I could have had that.....

In the domain world, there's no such things as insider trading. In fact this forum, and the other domainers you deal with regularly is as inside as it gets (catching aside).

I also think @Sound made a good point that no one wants to touch on. Which is cash flow. Some domainers are scared to take risks. And my view on this market is the complete opposite. There's really no other business in the world you can be wrong 90% of the time and still make money from the 10%...

Personally, I think domains are very liquid. In the last 10 days I've sold 20 domains which have brought in 2.4k. Granted 1k was from the poker gods (sedo) - Pierre and I still in shock!!
So let's say 1.4k in 10 days. To me that's nice pocket money to have for v little work.

Please know I've only come here to start the conversation. To have the debate. Surely I'm not the only one kicking myself when you see a domain listed here for say 20 and goes on to do well at DL?

I'm always learning and I'm always growing. Only got into domains 13 months ago. But I was ferocious and aggressive. I learnt it the old fashion way. BY HARASSING people. each time I did a deal on DL, I refused to transfer the name until I could speak to the buyer. I would insist on a phone number and constantly ask questions. And the same when I was buying. I wouldn't pay until I could speak with the seller. Even still there's 2 or 3 guys from this forum that I'm in regular whatsapp contact with. When I see something go for CRAZY money like Forestry did, I'm pinging them messages asking WHYYYY

So I'm looking at all these missed opportunities through both a domainer and a commodity trader.

Anyone ever thought of doing syndicates ? Like buyer's clubs...3 or 4 people each chip in say 100 and they go off and take risks they wouldn't ordinarily?

Could have made an extra 50k (i worked it out) - from every domain on here that went on to DL and did well. Makes you think huh?

p.s. v hungover and v tired - please forgive grammatical errors and typos.

Personally, I think domains are very liquid. In the last 10 days I've sold 20 domains which have brought in 2.4k. Granted 1k was from the poker gods (sedo) - Pierre and I still in shock!!
So let's say 1.4k in 10 days. To me that's nice pocket money to have for v little work.

Excluding your "lucky" sale, you've sold 19 names for £1.4K within 10 days. That's not too shabby. Were these all hand-reg or did you buy them off others? Were they sedo sales?

only the 1k was a sedo sale - the rest were done selling to people I've already sold to on DL .....I keep a mailing list

sorry - yes most were hand-reg...hate when people say hand-reg is dead. Whenever I hear that I smile cos it means no one else is doing it......lot of lazy people in the domain world, which means more hard work = more profit :)

Only got into domains 13 months ago. But I was ferocious and aggressive. I learnt it the old fashion way. BY HARASSING people. each time I did a deal on DL, I refused to transfer the name until I could speak to the buyer. I would insist on a phone number and constantly ask questions.

WTF?!

What kind of questions?

"Why did you only bid £285 for this domain I paid £650 for last month?"

WTF?!

What kind of questions?

"Why did you only bid £285 for this domain I paid £650 for last month?"
Ah, I was trying to work out who WineLoverLondon was; now I remember. At least I did ok from that deal :D But it is a steep learning curve at times.

Yeah it really is...and first few months I had a scatter gun approach and really wasted money...In fact I think my first month I trusted estibot HAHAHA - idiot!!!!

anyway, quick learner though...

Ok - So to clarify - it's profit.... Most were hand reg - but some yes were bought off others. Though last week's sales were all domains bought in Jan.

First thing things morning, I bought one off someone here - with the hope to sell it this year.

TalkBloke - let me ask you something. Other than here and auction sites - do you sell to end users? Or to people who sell to end users? Or to developers?

I tend to do the latter. Sell to end users, or website developers, even marketing firms. I used last year to build those relationships. I start there. Then I use twitter to offer the domains publicly to companies in similar fields. Failing that, it's here. Failing that it's DL. Failing that it's auction sites and on to the next one.....

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom