Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buying a TM Domain at Auction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a domain at auction on one of the main UK domain auction sites, only to find out a few days later that it was a globally trademarked term (one I had never heard of). I am normally all over the IPO search before I register domains but because it was at auction I didn't check. To quote Sedo's Trademark terms (i didn't buy the domain on Sedo by the way)

It is completely legal to trade domains as long as the domain being sold does not infringe on the trademark rights of a third party. Domain name sellers should be aware that it is their responsibility to ensure that their domain name is free from possible trademark infringements before listing it for sale. Ignorance of the law is no excuse!​

What is my position on this as the buyer? To give some background, the original TM was registered in classes 09 and 42 at the time that i bought the domain at auction, shortly after the new TM owner has now applied for the following classes 09 16 25 28 35 37 38 39 40 41 42 45 (the TM has also now changed hands).

L

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom