Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wanted: Domain Appraisal baigoo chinese search engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

zee

Reaction score
I read an article in far east paper about a chinese s/e at baigoo.com to me its like google , but in china .I obtained www.baigoo.co.uk to wait and see, also another tld's,problem sedo won't post [poss. mix up on pc with bagoo, a french domain] anyone any idea of chinese domains and european tld's.

zee said:
I read an article in far east paper about a chinese s/e at baigoo.com to me its like google , but in china .I obtained www.baigoo.co.uk to wait and see, also another tld's,problem sedo won't post [poss. mix up on pc with bagoo, a french domain] anyone any idea of chinese domains and european tld's.

To wait and see what? if they sue you and take their trademarked name off you?

For the life of me, I don't understand why people insist on shooting themselves in the foot so vigorously. There's 0% chance you can claim to have been sitting in the UK and have independently "dreamt up" the name...

baigoo

What trademark , no can find , but french domain bagoo poss.'confused' sedo

I don't think you really understand how the trademark system works.

If a company regularly uses a made-up name in commerce, and can prove that it was doing so then it has de-facto trademark status even if it's not officially registered as a trademark. In the case of Baigoo I'm guessing you'd need to do a Chinese trademark search in any case.

That's the difference between made up names and generic names. Microsoft can't trademark "Windows" (though it does have a trademark for "Microsoft Windows") although it has a strong enough claim on the word to be able to block any software/software companies from using the word. If you were a double-glazing company for example, it's fine to use "Windows" in your name.

But when you step into the realm of made-up words, things change dramatically. Basically, since the word is made up, it's only got value by virtue of the effort that the original company has pumped into promoting/marketing it. So no other company in the world can use "eBay" in their name (for example) because "eBay" isn't a generic word but a coined, made-up one and eBay (the auction company) is the ONLY reason that "eBay" has any strength/meaning at all.

Same with "BaiGoo" - it's not a generic word but a made-up expression. If "Baigoo.com" didn't exist, and you were the first person to come up with the "Baigoo" name, you could (probably) have it... but as it is you only registered it because you thought it would have value, and you only thought it had value because of Baigoo.com.

Are you sure you don't mean baidu.com:

Quote starts:

It was a remarkable debut. Chinese search engine Baidu.com's shares sold in the United States for US$27 ($39) - then surged on day one to close at US$122.54 ($177.46).

Friday's result was the biggest first-day gain for a new listing in the US for five years.

Investors had more than quadrupled their money.

An analyst in New York with IPOdesktop.com, a website devoted to initial public offerings, John Fitzgibbon, said: "This one is the return to the internet bubble. Last time we saw a deal skyrocket was during the frothy IPO markets of 1999 and 2000."

Quote Ends.

Rgds

accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom